• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hikaru Utada to Appear in LA, NYC, Miami This Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camhostage

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Good to see some Exodus fans here. Sometimes I think I'm the only one who thinks that album is brilliant pop.

maaya wrote:
The sound is completely different. Songs like "colors", "passion", "beautiful world", "traveling", "distance", "final distance", "sakura drops" ... it's a different music genre from the songs on "this is the one". I think she or her producer tried to appeal to this different market (where they don't listen to J-Pop Wink ) ... unfortunately that's not my type of music Anime hyper

I don't know if I'd say that any difference can be attributed to it being in English. Exodus was just a dark album for her, more dance and club than the balance of most of her records. I don’t want to put too many words in your mouth, but given that there’s not a lot of Utada English-language music work out there, I think you just don’t like that album. (It doesn’t help my argument when Hikari/Simple&Clean was done multilanguage and is arguably better in its Japanese form, but that was a specific direction she intentionally took with that song.)

It's a little unfortunate that she has never been able to dual-language her records (not that this would be an easy task, the poetry of language is quite different and she's a perfectionist who would rather rewrite a song completely over the melody than just translate the words), because there are songs like “Be My Last” that could have stood out and possible have been singles in either language. The relative failure of Exodus (and the odd struggle to return to prominence in Japan) probably made it tough to do work in English, but I’m glad she’s trying again.
sincerely-yours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:19 am Reply with quote
she's coming to NYC tomorrow... and I can't go because I have class at that time Evil or Very Mad T.T

Gah... I wanna meet her!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3