• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Brothers Acquire Live-Action Death Note Rights

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsukikage

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:27 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Psh, they'll ruin the characters. They'll probably make Light a high school... student... okay, but he'll probably be some pretty... boy. Well, L probably... won't be Japanese... huh.

Sh-shut up!

*laughs* That was priceless.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dimlos

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
I feel it may attract the wrong kind of audience *cough*emo*cough*.
You mean, they didn't already?

Anyway, I never liked Death Note or any of its adaptations, but let's be honest... it can't get much worse than the already existing live-action movies.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 12:40 am Reply with quote
oh crap the shit is gonna hit the fan once the movie is acctually out, the way I see it is this
one group will condem the movie
one will love it
another group will just shrug and ignore it
and the stupid little kids will be buying up deathnote replicas off of amazon.com, after watching the movie, thus more news reports of stupid kids making death threats with those things
LagannImpact

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:19 am Reply with quote
EdoRocksMySocks wrote:
*sigh*

The most I can hope for is that they don't screw with the storyline, unless it changes it more awesomely like the Japanese version did. Still...L not sounding like Alessandro Juliani in English will be the weirdest thing ever. He's so perfect for L. D:

What makes you think Alessandro Juliani won't be playing L in this movie/series/whatever Live-Action American Adaptation anyway? Suuuure it can take some work to get the guy to LOOK like L, but he sounds like what most of the dub audience knows as L, and ...and here's the kicker... the man does more LIVE ACTION than Anime!

Now Brad Swaile not being Light...THAT will be weird. But it looks like Zac Efron or some teen idol will be playing Kira in this just to get the screaming schoolgirls...many of whom probably already squee'd over the anime dub.
ankoku22

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Frito-Lay will get a product-placement deal to have Ruffles be the official potato chip that Light takes a bite out of.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
bahamut623 wrote:
Let me sum up how this thread will go:
"UGH THIS WILL BE HORRIBLE HOLLYWOOD SUXXXX"
"They're not gonna be Japanese? Hollywood is so racist!"

But seriously...this could be cool. I hope it turns out decently.

Fixed. Although I'll give you that last one.

You know, of the posts before yours I'd say 4 are neutral if not positive and only 3 are negative. On top of that, the posts since then have also favored the positive and there has been mostly one repeat person who accounts for most of the negative.
Emichan

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:01 am Reply with quote
sailorsean wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

If they want to, they can just call him a Grim Reaper or something similar, and people will get the idea.

thats a possibility, but usually people only think theres 1 grim reaper and it might confuse them a little.

I don't recall any mass confusion over multiple grim reapers in the Dead Like Me tv series. I loved that show Smile
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:09 am Reply with quote
ankoku22 wrote:
I wonder if Frito-Lay will get a product-placement deal to have Ruffles be the official potato chip that Light takes a bite out of.

That could work and then in retail stores have like limited edition Death Note potato chips or something with like a mini Death Note pocketbook inside. I would buy 30 of them at least.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
I mean, as long as it's better than L Change the World.
TenchiTim

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:58 am Reply with quote
Alright I'll admit... at first, like waaay waaay back before even casting was announced... I was... I was an optimist for Dragonball. </shame>

And we all saw how that turned out...

Hopefully I'll be wrong again by being pessimistic about this Death Note movie.

Please please please Warlords of Hollywood, prove me wrong and make this not suck.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:02 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
v1cious wrote:
you know what that means...

Oh hey I forgot the endless bitching and moaning about Zach Efron and/or Shia LaBeouf potentially being casted in it

At least Leonardo DiCaprio is too old to be considered for most of the main roles, so we can avoid that tired-ass line of complaining

I, for one, would love to see this happen.

He's not going to be "17" forever. Eventually he's going to have to prove he can act in a role where he ISN'T playing a teen heartthrob.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 3:41 am Reply with quote
I'm going to do Hollywood a big solid and volunteer to be Near for the sequel.

I'll get my action figures ready.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:06 am Reply with quote
RadicaLElly wrote:
He's not going to be "17" forever. Eventually he's going to have to prove he can act in a role where he ISN'T playing a teen heartthrob.

As if Light isn't already a Hearthrob, for all the wrong reasons.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 4:34 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Psh, they'll ruin the characters. They'll probably make Light a high school... student... okay, but he'll probably be some pretty... boy. Well, L probably... won't be Japanese... huh.

Sh-shut up!

You, sir, officially win this thread. Congratulations.

------------------------------------------

I think that this movie is going to be more along the lines of non-anime remakes like The Departed or The Ring. I actually think it's going to turn out really well, though stylistic changes are inevitable. I don't mind. I've always thought that Ryuk and Rem could use redesigns. And some Hollywood-style pacing could be just what this series needs. I'm a HUGE fan, but all three versions have dragged at the end.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:31 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
RadicaLElly wrote:

As if Light isn't already a Hearthrob, for all the wrong reasons.

Yeah, I guess I could have worded that better.

Well, he's still going to have to prove he can act for an audience other than prepubescent girls.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7