• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: The Long-awaited Release of Bakemonogatari is set to hit North America this Holiday Season!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:22 am Reply with quote
Tmaxxer wrote:
I am a little hesitant on the price as it is just within the price point I am will willing pay. As I am only willing to spend at max $150 on any series. So I can understand peoples anger over the price.

Except this isn't just "any series". If it was a borderline show then yeah, I could understand people being a tad concerned. But this show is of a very high quality; complaining about the price is misguided at best.

You get what you pay for. Pay a high price, get a superior product. Not all Anime is created equal you know.
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
I foresee a little overtime in the future to pay for this one. Smile

Well worth a couple extra hours.

I'm so glad they have the bonus episodes in the set. Very Happy
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote
I was hoping for something more along the lines of $130-150 retail, discounted to $100-120. I really like Bakemonogatari but I'm not sure I love it, at least not enough to slap down $150... plus, of course, the extra $50 in shipping, tax, and fees I'll be hit with for living in Europe.

Le sigh!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote
Pass. No dub, no like. Not that I care for the special features and the simple fact they have an average of three episodes per BD but I have standards to maintain.

It's a good show, sure but it's not a good release. It's a box set of Japanese releases with Japanese special features; NA is not the anime supporting market, we're the scum suckers!

Or do I mean bottom feeders?

Come on, AoA. I have money, give me something to spend it on. I dare you. They're cowards, so afraid of the actual market that they chart exactly how much they want to make off each release {except for Madoka}.

Oh, and they're streaming it. If I hadn't already seen it then I'd be interested to see the show, to find out if it was worth buying. But unlike Madoka, AoA box sets are real limited editions so good luck with that.

Then they can pull an Oreimo with "While we said it was only going to be in print for awhile, what we meant was..."

What a great company, you know, for fans.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:26 am Reply with quote
I still haven't seen this so I won't blind buy at that price but I do plan to check the series out on CR, so I am thankful for the legal stream.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:43 am Reply with quote
I'm very much looking forward to owning this. Price was pretty much what I expected. The AoA purchase I'll be wrestling with will be the Garden of Sinners DVD. Do I buy it or do I what to see if AoA releases a non-LE BD version of it down the road? Decisions, decisions...
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:44 am Reply with quote
I'm really getting sick and tired of the anime industry wasting bluray technology for the sake of stupidity. Seriously putting 15 episodes on six disks?! That's ridiculous.

Not caring about the price, because I'll be streaming it on CR. If the series is one of those I feel I need to own, then I will gladly pay.

But don't get cocky, anime industry. If it thinks I'm paying this price in a blind-buy situation, well, let's just say those red pens better be ready.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:50 am Reply with quote
I am already buying DRRR!!'s Blu-ray set so I'll have to wait on this one or pass if it sells out. Atleast with DRRR!! I love the show enough to spend the $150 on the set. I will watch Bakemono on Crunchyroll and see if its worth the price. Otherwise, I personally think it is a rip off to have the price the same as DRR!! when it has less episodes and you aren't getting any extras with it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:34 am Reply with quote
I've purchased imports that cost way mite when out was well said and done but paying this much at once makes me pause in my tracks. Especially for a US release. I'll get this eventually, but I wish they spilt this up. It'd be easier for me to mentally justify 3 volumes at $60 each than one set at $150 despite the split costing more at the end of the day.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:27 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
I'm really getting sick and tired of the anime industry wasting bluray technology for the sake of stupidity. Seriously putting 15 episodes on six disks?! That's ridiculous.
It seems like they're trying to mirror the six-volume Japanese release. Since you get them all at once, it really doesn't matter.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
Would it be undiscerning of me to compare this release with the expensive DVD singles reminiscent of eras past? Although I profess no interest in Funimation's recent releases, I must express my approbation over the improvements in younger consumers' access to physical media for which they are partly responsible, vis-à-vis the recent spate of luxury products reserved for those with the most fervent of interests.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:07 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

Then they can pull an Oreimo with "While we said it was only going to be in print for awhile, what we meant was..."

What a great company, you know, for fans.

What they meant was that they would put out a limited edition and then once that sold out, they would release a regular edition X months/years afterwards. Which is exactly what they did?

And yes, AoA is great for fans. Particularly the subset of fans that are collectors.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

Probably licensor request to keep the six discs since it is split up into each arc (with the last arc receiving 2 discs). At least the R1 companies use BD50 discs and try to put as many episodes on few discs as possible.
Cirex

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote
Meh. My old manness is showing. I look at 150$ and think back to buying two episode of Ranma 1/2 subtitled VHS at 30-35$. and dub for around 25-30$. 13volumes long for a season and say to my self. hum... guess more things change the more they stay the same. but for my money I will preorder anything that has NisiOisin's name on it.
love his stuff.
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
Well, don't buy Medaka Box. Its crap. Bottom of the barrel crap.

But yeah, having lived in the one to two episodes per VHS tape days, these prices are nothing....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6