• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fullmetal Alchemist: Premium OVA Collection DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Fullmetal Fantasy, huh? Vic Mignogna truly is a man of many talents.

None of them include voice acting, however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:33 pm Reply with quote
From the screen shots I've seen it's nothing above Sakura con commercial quality Rolling Eyes
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Everything Zac said.

Well that just stinks. I would have thought they'd be able to get away with it as an extra since I've seen plenty of dub extras with the staff screwing around. It's a shame, sounds like it'd be great for a laugh.

Someone needs to get Vic to "lose" a copy that winds up magically on the internet.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:56 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Zac wrote:

Everything Zac said.

Well that just stinks. I would have thought they'd be able to get away with it as an extra since I've seen plenty of dub extras with the staff screwing around. It's a shame, sounds like it'd be great for a laugh.

Based on the film's reputation, nobody would want to "get away" with putting it on a Funi DVD except Vic himself.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I'm kicking myself now because he apparently showed it at the last Megacon, which I attended. That'll teach me to think that any other sort of panel has to be more interesting than an English VA panel.

I don't understand why they can't add it as a bonus on the North American Full Metal Alchemist dvds. Now I'm just going to have to attend a Vic Mignogna panel. I see now he's attending the upcoming Dragoncon, which I'm going to. I shall go and see if he shows it there, and if he does I will attempt recording it with my craptacular phone. His panel just better not be during one of the *insert random geek panel or music performance here* and especially not during the attempt to break the world record for largest group Thriller dance.

Vic isn't supposed to show it in public. That's how he got into trouble with it in the first place.

Let me explain why Fullmetal Fantasy is a problem, in brief. Imagine you got a job working for Disney doing the voice of, say, Mickey Mouse.

Then you make a homemade movie where you dress up as Mickey Mouse and run around the room farting*. You do not ask Disney for permission to do this, you just do it, with some of your friends.

Then you show up as a guest at a convention where you are billed as the voice of Mickey Mouse, and have a panel where you take questions from the fans.

Two hours later you screen your Fartin' Mickey movie in its own panel, hosted by you. Disney finds out about it that way.

Disney gets understandably upset about this and forbids you from screening it again or releasing it to the public if you want to keep your job as the voice of Mickey Mouse.

See the problem?

*Note - I am unaware of any scene in Fullmetal Fantasy where Vic, dressed as Ed, runs around the room farting. I have not seen the film, though.

well i can get what your saying about the problem,but so far i haven't heard any backlash from his spoof creation otherwise i would have known what fullmetal fantasy is,and i haven't heard any outcry from the FMA creators nor from funi about his spoof so it's probably ok with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:57 pm Reply with quote
It was a while ago. They showed it at a con and Aniplex didn't like it so they made sure it never saw the light of day again and it wasn't a huge deal. No press statements or anything all we now is that it existed and it was shown without permission at a con. There was no backlash and outcry because it was taken down immediately.
Dune

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:36 pm Reply with quote
This was a fun DVD: Short but worth it. Atleast for me anway, I'm a sucker for FMA stuff as well as attractions based on shows I like. Definitely fun to hear the cast again, doubly so since most of them will be reuniting for Brotherhood.

I liked the idea behind 'Kids', which is basically an invitation for us to consider how Ed might function in the modern world. The reference to September 11 was interesting in that respect; I liked how they didn't explicitly spell anything out, instead letting the audience ponder about the details.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth, stop bashing Vic Mignogna just because you don't like his voice acting. You don't have to listen to the English dubs with him in them if you don't want to. You can always switch the audio to Japanese.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:06 am Reply with quote
Over 4 years since the last post. Love the original series. Love Brotherhood as well but the original was just a tad bit better imo.

Also, what kind of idiot would say the dub is overrated? It was much better than the Japanese version.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3