• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Avril Lavigne's One Piece Themes Are Nickelback, Joan Jett Covers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote
sailorneorune wrote:
Well, so much for us getting more One Piece movies. I wouldn't be surprised if Funimation passes on this one.

Let's look at it from this perspective: The licensing fees for the song might be cost prohibitive, and FUNimation might be "forced" to find an alternative cover track.

See: Speed Grapher (Girls on Film by Duran Duran), certain episodes of Iron Chef (the ones where Chairman Kaga is dubbed rather than subtitled cause of music rights), etc.
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:14 am Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

Where are you? Where I am, all I see are posters of the girl who sang the "Call Me Maybe" song.

This was in Japan] years ago, like 2007, over in Machida.
Juno016

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:33 am Reply with quote
The Xenos wrote:
Juno016 wrote:

Where are you? Where I am, all I see are posters of the girl who sang the "Call Me Maybe" song.

This was in Japan] years ago, like 2007, over in Machida.

Yeah. Come to think of it, there were quite a few things about her in 2008 in Ehime, and I there was a small poster in one of the magazines. Probably an album promotion. Now, I'm in Shiga, but things are definitely different.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:25 am Reply with quote
Meanwhile, Andrew WK, architect of the awesome album Gundam Rock sits by the phone... waiting... and waiting... and waiting...

But yeah, this is gonna suck for FUNi unless Avril is working with them. Then again, rumor has it they already have the rights to the movie and the license for the series has been expanded all the way up to Episode 415.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:31 am Reply with quote
Why are people assuming Funimation will get this? There have been, what, a dozen One Piece movies? Funimation has only licensed two of them, one of which was a recap movie. I think it's bit early to worry about music licensing troubles since it might not even get licensed.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:43 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Why are people assuming Funimation will get this? There have been, what, a dozen One Piece movies? Funimation has only licensed two of them, one of which was a recap movie. I think it's bit early to worry about music licensing troubles since it might not even get licensed.

Well, if FUNimation's original Otakon press release is to be believed, they already have it. Not to mention they've finally grabbed Toriko and they seem to be well on their way to grabbing Sailor Moon. Their relationship with Toei probably couldn't be better at this point.
why no guest post option?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:11 am Reply with quote
I thought these were insert songs.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
And to think ten years ago, I thought Nickelback and Avril Lavigne were the bomb.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
Honestly I don't care who is singing it but a cover is disappointing to me. I'd rather hear a song written for the movie.
Gasero

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:03 am Reply with quote
I find it interesting when people collectively hate something that's entertainment.

Avril Lavigne and Nickelback may not be as popular as they were in the past, but that doesn't mean people can't like their music. Is it so difficult to believe that other people have different tastes than your own?

There are plenty of people who would scoff at anime and manga consider it bad taste. Don't be a hypocrite.

It's as if people think that no song - Japanese or otherwise - ever selected to represent a movie or anime has been bad until now.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:55 am Reply with quote
Gasero wrote:
I find it interesting when people collectively hate something that's entertainment.

Avril Lavigne and Nickelback may not be as popular as they were in the past, but that doesn't mean people can't like their music. Is it so difficult to believe that other people have different tastes than your own?

Hipsters gonna hip. Cool
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:03 am Reply with quote
In response to the Funimation and the possible licensing of the film...
If I'm reading everything correctly, Funimation only has the rights to Season 5 of the anime and One Piece The Movie: Strong World. One Piece The Movie Z hasn't been licensed by anyone quite yet.

Does that mean that they won't sometime in the future? No, but if the songs become an issue, then yes, I'm expecting Funi to have to substitute the songs.

But I'm not going to deny that I've made had read something wrong, so feel free to correct me if necessary.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
In response to the Funimation and the possible licensing of the film...
If I'm reading everything correctly, Funimation only has the rights to Season 5 of the anime and One Piece The Movie: Strong World. One Piece The Movie Z hasn't been licensed by anyone quite yet.

Does that mean that they won't sometime in the future? No, but if the songs become an issue, then yes, I'm expecting Funi to have to substitute the songs.

But I'm not going to deny that I've made had read something wrong, so feel free to correct me if necessary.

When they had first put out their press release, One Piece Season 6 (Episodes 337-451) and One Piece Film Z were accidentally included and removed in later copies. One Piece Podcast asked them about it and all they said in response was that One Piece Season 5 and One Piece Film Strong World were their only Otakon announcements for the franchise. They never once denied that they had the licenses.
Kutsu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Yep, Japan produces more s*** than they do good stuff too. Ya guys just don't hear most of it (or maybe just can't tell). Laughing

Stop waving your patriotism there citizen.

Hahaha, as they say, patriotism is loving one's country, while nationalism is hating everyone else's; yet which one's mine? Wink

Dunno why ya guys think Japanese are some sort of panacea. I actually see more similarities between different peoples than differences. Ya guys whining about American music remind me of my Japanese friends whining about Japanese music......... or should I say, their whining about J-music remind me of ya guys. Laughing

Pretty much this. Whenever you're in a country with a rather strong local music market production (the US of course but also the UK, Japan, France etc.), you'll have a vocal minority saying that (most of) what is produced is crap and that it's obviously better in other countries with more tasteful people. As they say, the grass is always greener on the other side. ^^
thcozard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
Wasn't there a One Piece opening that was singed by Korean boy-band? I don't see this to be much worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5