• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds X TV/OAV, 5 Initial D Anime Stages

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear that they're re-releasing X. The first disc of X was the very first DVD I bought, so I have a special place in my heart for it. Not to mention that it's a great show with gorgeous art.
Chiming in with others about a CCS release. While I snapped it up for $75 from Rightstuf a few years ago, there are still so many people out there who want it, and it's incredibly hard/expensive to find secondhand. If Funi won't release it without a dub, than maybe another company could rescue it, permitting the license isn't too expensive - Section23, Bandai, or Nozomi maybe?
Myself - I'm hopingfor a Sailor Moon re-release, since I'm missing a couple disks for SuperS, and it's bugging me that I don't have the show completed.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
oops again, Triple post

Last edited by Amethyst Alchemist on Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
I seriously hope Initial D won't cost FUNi too much to dub. It hardly seems the type to attract many buyers.
My money's waiting for it. I made the mistake of getting TP's first boxset. One of the very few dubs that put right off the rest, and that opening, gives me a headache just thinking about it. What a cunning stunt. Anime hyper Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Bully for X, that's good to hear! Smile
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Ok, this is a little eerie in that I was just wondering about who would be cast as Scar and Al this morning. I knew Al would be since Aaron's voice dropped, and I figured they wouldn't get Dameon Clarke back since if I remember correctly he moved out to LA once the first show was done.

Maybe having most of the English cast back will help me actually get into this. The combination of seeing my favorite series as something decidedly different and the necessity of watching in Japanese made it too hard for me to maintain an interest in Brotherhood. I'd like to since I'm such a big fan of the first series, but it's tough.
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering when FUNi would actually start work on the dub and get some dvds out, already. I mean, the series already has 24 or so episodes out.

If they redub Initial D and it's good I will buy it. I also made the mistake of checking out Tokyopop's version, but they just made it far too crappy. I hated pretty much every change they made.

Hopefully FUNi goes the smart route and just does season dvd sets, thinpack it right away and I will preorder the stuff. Very Happy
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering when FUNi would actually start work on the dub and get some dvds out, already. I mean, the series already has 24 or so episodes out.

If they redub Initial D and it's good I will buy it. I also made the mistake of checking out Tokyopop's version, but they just made it far too crappy. I hated pretty much every change they made.

Hopefully FUNi goes the smart route and just does season dvd sets, thinpack it right away and I will preorder the stuff. Very Happy
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm still hoping against hope that AS will pickup the dub of FMA Brotherhood after Moribito ends. The first series was a ratings hit, and AS will need another series after Moribito ends. Adult Swim, please pick up FMAB!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Good to see X picked up, but I was really hoping it would be picked up by someone that can competently encode a DVD. The thought of X with Funi video quality and a paper box is just too sad. But at least it will still be in print.

And on the bright side, the excellent Geneon release is still available in large quantities just about everywhere, including the original release and Remix Collection. Even all my local FYE's still have the original release.

I don't see the point in redubbing Initial D. I've heard bad things about the dub, but I don't see how it will sell enough for Funi to warrant the added cost. I wonder if they couldn't get the original dub for some reason, or if perhaps they may have been required to redub it. But it's ultimately up to them to decide.

Sad to see Alphonse get recast, but I can understand how it was necessary. If you're talked to him at a con in the last year or two, you know his voice is way to deep to do Al. Even Vic made a joke about Eric's voice being deeper than his..lol
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Sorry.. the post function is acting weird for me. Duplicate.

Last edited by dragonrider_cody on Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Sorry.. duplicate post. Got some weird error message
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I'm still hoping against hope that AS will pickup the dub of FMA Brotherhood after Moribito ends. The first series was a ratings hit, and AS will need another series after Moribito ends. Adult Swim, please pick up FMAB!

I wouldn't mind since it'd be my preferred method for seeing the show since I haven't been able to make myself sit in front of the computer for it beyond the first few episodes. That said, I'm doubtful. It certainly has a better shot than most considering the first FMA did well for them, but the fact that they never picked up the movie leaves me skeptical about it. I would think that the conclusion of a well-received show would be a no-brainer, but maybe they just don't want to show anime movies and a series would go over better?
Starre257

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I just had a huge spaz moment because I REALLY wanted Maxey Whitehead as Al. So much. This is like the third voice casting
I've wanted that actually happened. The other 2 were Gino and Anya from Code Geass R2.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:31 pm Reply with quote
dragon_rider cody wrote:
I don't see the point in redubbing Initial D. I've heard bad things about the dub, but I don't see how it will sell enough for Funi to warrant the added cost. I wonder if they couldn't get the original dub for some reason, or if perhaps they may have been required to redub it. But it's ultimately up to them to decide.

Initial D not only needs a redub, it's needs a resub. Bad dubbing is one thing for an anime fan, but deliberately inaccurate subbing is another. Sorry, but I'm hoping FUNimation will do everything they can to make sure this Initial D release is the definitive one. Why should we have to put up with a "tricked out" version of an anime that served no purpose other than to cash in on The Fast and the Furious craze?
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Sigh why cant some one pick up Ah! My Goddess Fighting Wing 2eps and the season 2 of The story of Saiunkoku
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8