• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monster Anime Premieres on Syfy's Ani-Monday Tonight

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Monster is a show that just works much better as a dub. I'm usually a fan of both sub and dub but with: Fullmetal Alchemist, Victorian Romance Emma, Red Garden, and Read Or Die TV, they just really need a dub to be entirely enjoyable.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:59 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Prede wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Adult Swim has one commercial break per program. They play a few commercials, then back to the show. Rarely do they cut anything, unless there's one of those after-credits epilogues in the final episodes of programs, and only a couple of times.

No, Syfy is far, far worse.

Not to get in a fight with you here. But Adult Swim plays one commercial that never, ever ends. The SyFy commercials are so short, that by the time they start they are over. I'd rather that. And yes Adult Swim cuts things. Watch Paranoia Agent on DVD, and then remember what you saw on AS. They cut stuff from almost every episode... Adult Swim is much, much worse, just by the terrible time slots they give anime alone. Never mind the way they treat fans and anime, or their blatant unprofessionalism, or their messing with the schedule way too much, or their dropping of shows...I could go on...

I'll take professionalism, great time slots, and better choice in shows, over whatever-the-hell anyone thinks Adult Swim has going for it anyday.

I'd think most people would prefer one five minute commercial over 3 3 minute commercials. And Sci-Fi does it in the worst ways. You get like 5 minutes of show, commercial, 3 minutes of show, commercial, 1 minute, commercial, ending, commercial. I'd prefer Sci-Fi too if they have a better way to play the shows, but it's irritating to watch when every hour has to have 25 minutes of commercials.

actually you don't even really get the ending, you get the ending squished up on the right so far you can't read anything and on the left ... in a box bigger than the ending ... another commercial.

SyFy: Full intro, multiple unnatural commercial breaks, sped up/squished ending shown alongside another commercial.

Adult Swim: full intro, 1 commercial break at the intended spot, shortened ending but they still play some of the song, previews every now and then.

SyFy could be a lot better, but they still have things to work on.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
well, Liam definitely shows he is a natural for the role of Tenma (though it's a departure from his usual, uh, eccentric roles) and Tara is definitely a perfect fit for Eva. I have no doubts Epcar will deliver as Inspector Lunge, though I still wonder who's going to be voicing Johan. Now that's something I wanna hear.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
Andre Linoge wrote:
I wasn't able to watch the whole first episode so I can't say for certain if there were any cuts or not. What I did find troubling, however, was what was done to the soundtrack. Earlier, I watched one of the dub preview clips of the first episode's opening scene with Tenma asleep at his apartment and thought something was off but couldn't quite place it. When I saw the conclusion of the episode I was able to understand what was wrong. The music used at the beginning, the end, and possibly elsewhere has been changed, one track swapped out for a completely different one. With the closing scene, where Doctor Tenma comes to his decision to ignore the order from the director and operate on Johan instead of the mayor, they swapped out the original music and replaced it with another, much darker track, that gives the impression that something terrible is happening. What is particularly troubling about this move is that it changes the entire tone of the scene. Tenma doesn't yet know the danger Johan poses. As far as he is concerned he is an unfortunate child who is at death's door and may very well be left there to satisfy the director's greed. Given the wholly negative light in which the views of Eva and the director are presented, the original scene came off as something of a victory, the music more positive in its tone. That positive tone, however, is then compromised in the final moment when we have the young Anna lying in shock, repeating the words over and over "please kill him." The new music that has replaced the original, while not a bad piece in the right context, blunders through this moment making it seem as though Tenma's just made the worst decision of his life when, at this point, we have no reason to think that.

It hasn't yet aired on TV where I am, but checking it online on manga's site... ya, the music has been changed a ton.

Not only did they change the music when Dr Tenma makes his decision, they changed the music before he makes his decision, when he is informed they want him to operate on the mayor. Heck, they completely got rid of the music for a while actually. No music in the dub where they played one of my favorite tracks in the original.

This probably isn't something we can blame Sci-Fi for since it's like that on the website as well, but it's something extremely annoying. I really loved the original soundtrack. Why the heck are they changing it?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:09 am Reply with quote
That's odd. I hadn't noticed that because the sound isn't too great on my TV and I was with friends, so I wasn't paying hyper attention.

I DEMAND AN EXPLANATION. Evil or Very Mad Monster has an amazing soundtrack, it's used great, the sound design is amazing in the show. It's way more auditory than it is visual in every regard except MAYBE for the OP. Big maybe. You don't freakin' screw with that. There better be a broadcast reason for the music changes, because if that's on the DVDs, I will not buy them. I love Monster, but I won't buy em.

Anyway, I was very happy with the dub. Not the greatest, and I did hear some odd inflections and slightly odd line reads once or twice from minor characters, but yeah, I was about to write about how pleasantly surprised I was by...I think it's Bang Zoom! this time? I can't seem to confirm it, but we've got an all-Burbank cast. Anyway, I was not expecting much when Viz picked it up because...it's Viz. And it's Bang Zoom! I'm not totally crazy about them because they're kinda unpredictable in quality. Sometimes it feels like it's either amazing or embarrassing. So I was all set to rejoice until these music changes were pointed out and I went back and listened. Just...why?! What?! That is so unusual. This isn't Dragonball Z, this is Monster!

Enough of the dour stuff...I was really happy with Eva and of course Liam O' Brien's Tenma. Really great, although somewhat different from the Japanese, which if anything sounded more naive and excitable. But I love his take on the character so far. I'm sure it will get better.

And I did preview Johan on Manga's site...oooooh, I can't wait! Twisted Evil
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:46 am Reply with quote
Hmmm, considering the script adaptations are done by Donald Roman Lopez and Rene Veilleux, I would say the dub is done in Salami Studios which is one hell of an improvement compared to....*cough* Prince of Tennis. Having Patrick Seitz as ADR director helps a lot.
potassium

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:59 am Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
Having more commercials means they have faith people are watching their shows. Which is much more then Adult Swim has. It's a good thing, not a bad thing.

I don't know about that. To me, it certainly seems more like they don't have faith in their viewers, and therefore have to try to scrape up some extra money from somewhere to make up for this fact, hence the extra commercials. In other words, fewer viewers would equate to fewer viewings of commercials, so for fewer viewers you have more commercials to break even.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote
I watched both episodes last night, and I was enthralled. This is my first exposure to Monster (but not Urasawa), and I LOVE it. I cannot wait for the DVDs to come out, because this is a must own for me.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:25 am Reply with quote
I like it, I wasn't sure what I'd be getting into but it's very promising, I just kept it on Sci-Fi, I like the old name, not the new spelling, but anyway, I just waited until it was over, then rewound it on the DVR to watch it and skip the commercials. It was something very interesting, and I do support the anime industry by watching it on TV at the same time too!
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:15 am Reply with quote
God I hated those doctors! I've never seen that many unlikeable characters in the first 2 episodes of an anime ever. Tenma was the only person who wasn't just fully corrupt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Harrycombs

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I just watched episode one.

I was very disappointed that the ending theme was it removed, but I can live with it. What I hate is, like many of you pointed out, that they changed the soundtrack! I just checked! When "Drift Mind" is supposed to play when he makes the decision to save Johan, The Seeds of Times plays instead, which still works, but I was disappointed since Drift Mind is probably my favorite song in the OST. Every time "Part" was supposed to play, it didn't. I didn't remember the song that plays when it says "Dusseldorf" at the beginning of the episode, at all from the series, and this is where Part is supposed to play. The new song was very happy sounding, and Part is quite ominous, as if to build up immediately that the show is going to be a tragedy. It messed up the feel of the show a bit.

But still, it is overall a very good dub, the new actors seem to all be on par or better than the original Japanese cast in my opinion.
arachneia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering whether I saw the same dub as everyone else... To me, everything save for a few lines by Eva was completely corny and over-acted. When I first heard O'Brien in the previews I thought he was at least alright, even if he couldn't hold a candle to Kiuchi's impassioned though subtle portrayal, but he was much too aggressive for the character.

Just about everyone sounded too young - Becker, the cops, Heinemann (though less so), and Eva, which will become even more grating after the time skip. In fact, Tenma will sound too young as well.

Anyway, I can sort of understand why someone who's never seen the original would find the dub adequate, but to say that this melodramatic, overstated effort eclipses the wonderful performance of the Japanese ensemble is just puzzling to me Sad
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
arachneia wrote:

Anyway, I can sort of understand why someone who's never seen the original would find the dub adequate, but to say that this melodramatic, overstated effort eclipses the wonderful performance of the Japanese ensemble is just puzzling to me Sad

Elfen Lied's dub was melodramatic, in a not-too-good way.

Code Geass' dub was melodramatic in a good way.

Monster's dub melodramatic? I wonder if we WERE watching the same show! I don't know what else to add other than to say: I think you had unrealistic expectations that everyone would sound very close to the Japanese. I recognized a lot of the doctors, Heinemann, etc., as actors that have played very old guys in other dubs and no one ever accused them of sounding too young. The Japanese acting style for those kinds of characters is very different. Heck, Japanese voice acting in GENERAL is just of a different styling than American. Just putting aside the HUGE difference in language rhythm between us for a minute, the Japanese archetype 90% of everything, "overact" more, (in a different sense than we tend to think, it's not a bad thing,) and typecast more so that the old doctors are going to sound inhumanly gruff and slithery. ("Neeeee,DokutaTenmaaaa?") The closest English VA equivalent to this acting style would be the kind of inflections that Mike Stoddard or Michael McConnohie tend to do. ...But that's not the only way to do it. The dub of Monster looks to be sounding more naturalistic. (Not a LOT, but moreso than many dubs.) The doctors sounded like nasty, middle-aged human beings to me. They don't HAVE to sound like the Japanese. They still sound quite evil. I actually really liked Becker. He made me laugh at how repulsive he was.

I was just watching the sub again today and I like it, but...I don't think Tenma's VA was particularly incredible. He did a good job with it, but to my ears, no better than O' Brien so far. (Although I'll be the first to admit that they're very different! O' Brien's kind of using his Maniwa persona from Paranoia Agent, which is my favorite role of his, and I always thought the original Tenma, far from sounding older, sounded very young and quite overly passionate at times.) The exception to this are the scenes where he's particularly ragged. Then he adds a lot of scratch to his delivery that makes him sound older, but that's certainly not all the time.
Prede

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
O' Brien's kind of using his Maniwa persona from Paranoia Agent, which is my favorite role of his, while I always thought the original, far from sounding older, sounded very young and quite overly passionate at times.) The exception to this are the scenes where he's particularly ragged. Then he adds a lot of scratch to his delivery that makes him sound older, but that's certainly not all the time.

Hey Detective Maniwa is my favorite role for him as well! Nice tastes! Although I think in this he sounds a little more like he did in Ergo Proxy, playing Vincent Law (only less confused). I do however think he is doing an exellent job, my favorite so far. But all the actors are doing great jobs, especially whoever is playing Eva. I loved her performance. That was great. And I didn't notice any melodrama in this dub. Sure it's got a bit of drama, but it's not too much in my opinion. It's the plot thats leading the characters. Never watched the Japanese so no idea what that sounds like.

And you won't buy this because Viz changed a background theme or two? That's a real shame, this show is ganna need every last fan/fan to be to buy it to make sure Viz doesn't drop it as it is. We don't need people bailing out on it. My best guess to why they would change the music is because they couldn't get the rights to everything perhaps? Although that is a shame, it doesn't kill the show or anything. Plus the music in this (so far) has been very laid back. It's not in your face, so really IMO it doesn't matter that much.
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Well people, count yourselves lucky. Overall, I'm glad Monster is getting on tv for that exposure it deserves. I hope it crosses the pond to the U.K too.

The soundtrack changes do sound annoying, but I pray Manga leave the originals in place when they release the DVDs. If they don't, it could have an impact on the series sales, and in these harsh times, every sale will be needed come December.

I'll be keeping an eye on any reviews from normal tv websites. Watch and support this show, people. There are lots of other cool anime like this, that never get a break and as an anime fan, we need such variety to keep the industry fresh.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5