• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'Do You Remember Love?' Composer Kazuhiko Katoh Found Hanged

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I meant the same as the post above yours.
Comparing a life threatening disease to a mental disease is just out of question.
Depression makes no sense, it just happens to you. One's perspective of the world, the people, or one's own life is completely different. It's depressing, dark and hopeless. All you see around you is boredom, loneliness and sadness.
I've met and spoken to many people like you, who came through really destructive diseases or near death experiences. But it's just way too different.
Suicide certainly is a way to abandon this world, but it's not as easy as you think or say.
Besides it's not about shame or fear. The only fear you can feel is that of completely disappearing from this world and knowing there's no second chance.
I can't really say much, since I never tried to debate about anything like this before. All I can say is that your point of view is completely wrong, whether you feel it's completely right or not.

But yeah, just like he said, I pray for your sake you never come through this. This is definitely capable of destroying your whole life.

Well for now, I'll just take what you've said at face value as I can agree it makes sense. I can see how they could be different things if the person had been diagnosed with Clinical Depression where it was an actual physical chemical imbalance in the brain and not the kind brought on by stress or grief. I'd feel differently about it in that case. Anyway, I'm all for dropping the discussion if you are. It seems to more of hostile subject than I imagined it would be when I posted it, sorry. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Well, I didn't mean that in a hostile way. I just wanted to clear things up. But yeah, I had no intention in pursuing this discussion any longer, unless you'd said something outrageous. Which I'm sure you wouldn't.
Been there, done that. The results weren't so friendly. Nowadays I suffer of sleeping disorder and I can hardly hold my tongue or even be afraid of losing my life at any point. And that's just the post effects.
Gotta say I'm glad I've been past those hellish days.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully not, since I'm usually a very rational person. I'm always up for some good old constructive criticism from others though.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:20 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
egoist wrote:
What a painful way to die. I wonder if he was intoxicated or something.

I doubt it. He left behind his will, and hanging oneself seems to me like it would be difficult enough to achieve while sober.

Suicide rarely makes sense to those that haven't attempted it, I think. Again, terrible to hear; I agree, very painful I'd think.

which i find it really odd. i got the chance to meet him a while back during a macross anniversary and i couldn't see him as a guy to do suicide.

i feel really sorry for his family for sure but after with the David Carridane incident,i'm not ruling anything out cause though the govt ruled it a suicide,it can change in a hurry and have masive consiparicies theories running ramparant on the net.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:35 am Reply with quote
He might have been recently told he had a terminal disease, and couldn't except continuing with his life that way. One doesn't wake up one morning and just decide to kill oneself before the end of the day willy-nilly like. At least not one with a sane and rational mind that is. Something has had to be a determining event, or situation to cause this tragic ending.
rag

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:57 am Reply with quote
We all have to respect his choice.

May he rest in piece.
Ari-chan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:32 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Big Hed wrote:
egoist wrote:
What a painful way to die. I wonder if he was intoxicated or something.

I doubt it. He left behind his will, and hanging oneself seems to me like it would be difficult enough to achieve while sober.

Suicide rarely makes sense to those that haven't attempted it, I think. Again, terrible to hear; I agree, very painful I'd think.

which i find it really odd. i got the chance to meet him a while back during a macross anniversary and i couldn't see him as a guy to do suicide.

i feel really sorry for his family for sure but after with the David Carridane incident,i'm not ruling anything out cause though the govt ruled it a suicide,it can change in a hurry and have masive consiparicies theories running ramparant on the net.

Well for suicidal people, you can't always notice that they are suicidal. One of the common steps in suicide cases is that before they attempt it, they give things away, put on a show of happiness for people. They basically treat everyone around as nice as possible before they go. It rather contradictory to what they really feel, which is why sometimes people say "he didn't seem like the type to commit suicide."

It doesn't happen to everyone who commits suicide, but it's certainly not uncommon. I adverted a former friend of mine from committing suicide over the phone. Apparently she was having huge issues with her mother who I believe has a few mental issues of her own. She called me crying and saying goodbye, and I kept trying to get in contact with the mother to talk to her about the issue, but she would prevent me from doing so. When the mother walked into her room at one point I could hear he voice change from incredibly sad and depressed, to happy and fine. She ended not killing herself after talking to me and my family for a whole day. Really sometimes you don't notice a person's issues because they put on a happy face.

Either way my condolences to his family and friends. This is never a good way to go. Crying or Very sad
PMDR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:35 am Reply with quote
KanjiiZ wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
This is horrendous news and I also send my prayers and condolences to his bereaved family. Maybe in honour of his past achievements they will release "Do You Remember Love" as a tribute DVD.

You're overestimating anime licensors "We Care" factor.

Sad to see the man go even though he hasn't done anything recently.

He may have. A lot of composers and musicians work on uncelebrated stuff all the time. Somebody has to do music for commercials, news, etc. Anime companies get in ruts using the same people over and over, to the exclusion of others.

I am not sure if there will be any surge in Macross music fandom, for lack of a better word. The people in control of Macross are choosy about the parts they celebrate.

Death has hit Macross music before. Kentaro Haneda did all the BGM for Macross and the movie (among many other anime projects). When Haneda passed away last year, there wasn't a spurt of major nostalgia for Macross/Orguss/Cobra/TechnoBoyagers/Project A-Ko 4 soundtracks even though there is a unmistakable common sound across them.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:47 am Reply with quote
PMDR wrote:
KanjiiZ wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
This is horrendous news and I also send my prayers and condolences to his bereaved family. Maybe in honour of his past achievements they will release "Do You Remember Love" as a tribute DVD.

You're overestimating anime licensors "We Care" factor.

He may have.
Cynics. Glass half empty. There's no harm in looking for some good to come out of a tragic situation. That would be; one of the best part of the Macross francise, next to Plus, would be available again. However, what's also sad about this is with the resistance of any concept of royalties in Japan, if they did release a dvd, his surviving family wouldn't get a yen for it. Rolling Eyes
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:41 am Reply with quote
If he did have depression, a question would be how long. I think prolonged and possibly bottled up depression can make the situation worse.
melonbread

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
There's so much of this news reported.

There seems to be so much sorrow in Japan...
Vicserr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:20 pm Reply with quote
It's a sad event and my condolences to his family, he was a very talented composer.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3