• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - NISA Explains It All

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:56 am Reply with quote
Like everyone else, I am a little sad they are not releasing them dubbed but it was to be expected. I really was thinking FUNimation was going to pick Toradora up since it was on their survey and probably got a lot of votes.
Labbes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:24 am Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
I dislike animes based on games. No matter how well they affect the market.

The Reason: It will make non-anime fans misunderstand on what anime really is. Plain and simple.

As for the whole NIS America-anime licensor-without dubs-$59.99 half season-limited releases?

Well... I can't say I'm 100% pleased... It's nice to know others want to get involved. Wink
But it's not a promising start. I have to second all of Zac's concerns; starting out with what they're doing isn't the wisest method to do...

Not saying I don't understand, but if you're gonna start something, start out with a good first impression!
It's not because of the dubs, but it's because that if more and more people get into anime, they're gonna want more for their money. And $59.99 for a 13-ep Japanese only release, will disuade newcomers...

Well, several Sentai titles had a retail price of 59,99 as well, and the Nozomi titles are 49,99 which, to be honest, is not a big difference to me.
I'm personally not really interested in any of their licenses as of now, I do have the hope of them licensing Mononoke though Very HappyVery Happy
Dakaran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:36 am Reply with quote
Super cool! You guys at NIS America rock Smile. Please, please, put a great deal of care and attention to the subtitles & KARAOKE, too! Smile

Check out the top fansubs groups that are super popular for the series and anime in general.

I'm buying your DVD with cool and cute collector stuff! I hope for blu-ray discs, nowaday I'm going toward that kind of quality. Smile
Xanas

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:03 am Reply with quote
Will probably buy them, but I don't put sub-only on any kind of priority. I just can't get enthusiastic about that. If the reason they can't is because of newness in a weak market, I'd have preferred the shows to be delayed longer and picked up by someone not new. At the very least I'd have preferred that with Toradora, though I liked Pandora Hearts too.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:38 am Reply with quote
I am even more curious about Toradora now. I guess will have to blind buy and check it out. I was hoping it would get a dub, but beggars can't be choosers. The limited release runs concerns me as a fan, however I do wish NISA the best with their anime distribution.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:56 am Reply with quote
Nice to hear from them. I never realized from other interviews that Nao Zook was female, but oh well.

Anyway, the way they chose what shows to start with was interesting, so maybe future licenses might just be the other shows that were positively received but weren't as high-up as the first four. Also, I will have to say the $59.99 price point for sub-only sets makes it a bit harder for me to be willing to blind-buy any of these shows... I guess I'll just have to see.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:06 am Reply with quote
I think $60 list price is a bit steep UNLESS that is for the special edition (with a figurine, plushy, t-shirt, bag, or something like that). $50 seems more reasonable for a sub only release. I really hope they do thinpaks similar to Nozomi because those are my favorites. Regardless, I will buy the special editions of Toradora and probably check out Pandora Hearts.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vicserr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
I don't think Halo Legends is bad but as Justin and Zac said you need to at least have some knowledge of Halo fiction (IMHO decent Military Sci-Fi) for maximum enjoyment, I think The Story so far in the extras section gives you a better view of the Halo Universe than Origins I & II, although some details from the novels are overlooked spoiler[that the human race has connections to the Forerunner civilization, something that the prophets of the Covenant couldn't take so they decided on they war of extermination of Humanity, because nobody but the prophets could understand and control Forerunner tech] and a little more explanation of the Cole Protocols would be in order but plain and simple this shows humanity standing against the odds, facing an implacable enemy and please don't tell me that that battlesuit fight on Prototype wasn't sweet, and Duel had a good Samurai type story with the Honor Bound Elite Society, although the art style is a bit out there. and just so people put it into perspective except for Origins all the other segments take place before the Fall of Reach (novel and upcoming game) AKA before everything really turned to shit for Humanity.

My faves: The Package, Prototype, Babysitter, Duel, Homecoming.
My no-so faves: Origins I & II (cramming the entire history of the Forerunners, the flood and the Human-Covenant war in 2 segments sure is asking for trouble) and Odd One Out (The could have explored that probably rampant AI "Mama" more) or the way I like to call it... HaloBall Z!!!!!!!

About NIS America, they seem to have at least made an informed decision for their jump into the anime market in the current sucky conditions and if they minimize cost, they should make it ok, but having a lot of fans that enjoyed these titles just brushing them away with the tired no dub-no sale argument clearly don't understand the current market, it's either this or just getting Pokemon and Bakugan on TV with no other anime outlet available.

Last edited by Vicserr on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:24 am Reply with quote
I guess from a traditional anime licenser sense, fans can get a upset about there being no dubs for these series. But if NIS keeps with their trends with their popular titles then I wouldn't be surprised down the road they do a re-release with dubs. Especially if this endeaver goes well. Greated it might be years from now but Disgaea games have gotten that treatment for a while now. The first Disgaea got a bunch of added voice over stuff when it ported to the PSP and they always add new game modes to them too. It would be unusual to me that. if series like Toradora did well and NIS has more confidence in their dubbing in the future, that they do a dub for the series.

You also gotta remember most of their stuff is voice-over stuff rather then dubs in the same sense as anime. So I wasn't surprised when it was subs only. And I'm happy with their honesty and relieved a bit at their more cautious, realistic approach into this weak market.

And yeah, the Disgaea anime was horrible. Fans got upset it wasn't more in line with the game's story. Then they got mad at the poor animation quality. And then they got mad at the horrible story that the anime did have. While I would like the idea of a Disgaea 2 anime, arguably the better story of the three; and a Disgaea 3 anime, whose story is pretty open to anime only episode inserts; the first anime leaves me skeptical if they could ever make a good Disgaea anime.
connarii

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
It's great to see another company jumping into the ring. Pricing a little harsh for no dub, but maybe if they start selling enough copies it'll drive the cost down. Better be $60 for a whole season, though. Hire me for English editing~ I'll definitely do a good job. Very Happy
Either way, I'm stoked to get a legal hardcopy of Pandora Hearts, and it's fantastic to see someone else entering the game and bringing more titles to North America. I could care less about a dub (you have to spend way too much to make it decent), but please do a great job on the subbing. I also thing it's really wonderful the way the NIS America office sat down and watched anime in order to choose the strongest titles to bring over. As a hardcore anime fan who has watched at least part of all new shows coming out of Japan in the last few years, I feel like NISA really chose well, and I'm sure their stellar taste will bode well for their sales figure as well. Go NISA go!
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Well, several Sentai titles had a retail price of 59,99 as well, and the Nozomi titles are 49,99 which, to be honest, is not a big difference to me.

However, with Nozomi, you get a really nice presentation - nice, solid box; on-disc extras; physical extras.

Hopefully, $59.99 is more like a RosenQueen price that includes the bonus item and maybe some some packaging that isn't a single keep case.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm going to have to agree that NISA sounds a little naive about fan, shall we say, "enthusiasm." I'm a bit of an NISA game fanboy, and I bought a PS3 for the sole purpose of playing Disgaea 3, so I'll be excited to be able to support their anime venture as soon as they license something that I'm interested in.

Also, is the episode title a reference to this? I used to watch that show back in the day...
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
They're probably smart to do a sub only release first, just to make sure they don't crash and burn. I think it's a good plan to make sure they don't lose money. I hope they do well, but it will take a good deal of convincing for me to buy a sub only DVD, because I don't like reading all the time, but I wish them the best.
hakojo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:46 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

Sat THROUGH? Dude, you're asking for the impossible. Laughing

Ahhhh, God, that dub made me want to shoot myself in the head Anime hyper With the valley-girl tones on absolutely everyone and the edits and the stupid corny cliche action movie lines and...yeah, it's bad. It doesn't help that the movie isn't that great in the first place, but that dub just catapults it into pure horror.

At least the first movie had kind of a fun, campy dub, even if it was a bit half-assed in parts...Animaze FTW, even when they're just phoning it in Razz
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Really thought Halo Legends was that bad huh? Not the best thing out there, but wow you guys just didn't like it Laughing. Agree with your negatives, the duel was crap and that comedy one as well. I don't know who thought of making that wacky segment because it just does not fit with Halo at all. Disagree with your views on how that last was the best. The action was so unrealistic and hyper (though we are talking about Halo and Aramaki here). And about the interview, can't wait to hear more about those limited edition sets. Hopefully they'll put in the soundtrack.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5