• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chihayafuru 2 Slated for January 11

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:14 pm Reply with quote
95% of his fans? I really like to know where that statistic is coming from?

Anyways from my perspective Taichi was bashed just as much by Arata fans.

Character bashing is ridiculous in any sense and I love all 3 characters in the main trio & everyone on Team Chihaya. The romance is pretty much secondary to me.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Come on Fencedude5609, 95%? Did you pull that figure out from your arse?

I'm a Taichi fan, and I know from my personal experience I am not in a 5% minority when I say that Arata is not horrible. In fact, I'd argue that I'm not in the minority at all; most Taichi fans don't hate Arata. It's unfortunate that Arata has had so little screentime because we barely know him. Hopefully season two will rectify this.

I did call Chihaya "dense" for not reading the signs. However I didn't call her that because I want her to hook up with Taichi, but because it's an accurate term to describe her. She is not too bright academically-speaking, and she is absolutely (and just like Sawako from Kimi ni Todoke, unrealistically) clueless when it comes to love.

Chihaya doesn't even think about romantic love, she's emotionally still the outspoken tomboy she was back in elementary school. If she didn't have the body of a supermodel I'd think she hadn't hit puberty yet, because she doesn't seem to be afflicted by any hormones at all. I don't hate her, not at all; she's actually really endearing (again, just like Sawako). But she is who she is.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

What, all three of them?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:28 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Of course I did. That should be obvious.

And of course Chihaya is clueless about love, thats like one of the defining points of her character. The difference between her and Sawako is that Kimi ni Todoke was explicitly a romance show (as long, slow and drawn out as it is), while Chihayafuru is a sports show with some potential for romance.

I don't have an issue with shipping (I'm not a total hypocrite), I just find the general discussion around the show to be incredibly irritating.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

What, all three of them?

Perhaps you should do a search on Chihayafuru episode discussions and see how much character bashing went on.

However I am not going to say who got bashed more because it is unimportant, all character bashing is ridiculous and I am not going to make up numbers.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
musouka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
From this perspective I rather agree. I think I just have issues with A) how it was presented and B) how 95% of his fans just whine about that nasty Arata and how stupid Chihaya is for not acknowledging his ~obvious~ feelings.

I personally prefer Arata/Chihaya because it feels like their perspective is more in sync with one another in a positive way. On the other hand, I also remember some really vicious Taichi haters that insisted upon seeing everything he did in the worst possible light--such as spoiler[when he pointed out that Kanade and Tsutomu were tired and needed a rest, he was undermining Chihaya and stunting the training of the two newbies!]

In that respect, while I started out finding Chihaya refreshing as a character, my outlook eventually somewhat soured and I became resentful of her more overbearing fans that had to make everything into a power struggle between her and Taichi. As much as I'd like to say that fandom shouldn't have an impact on how you view a character, that really isn't the case. And for whatever reason, Chihayafuru seems to be more obnoxious than most in that regard, no matter which character you happen to like the most.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Of course I did. That should be obvious.

Glad we cleared that up.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
And of course Chihaya is clueless about love, thats like one of the defining points of her character. The difference between her and Sawako is that Kimi ni Todoke was explicitly a romance show (as long, slow and drawn out as it is), while Chihayafuru is a sports show with some potential for romance.

You have a point here; the romance in Chihayafuru is not front and centre. However, romantic feelings are the foundation for Taichi's character. Though he learns to love karuta for its own sake, he only joins the club in the first place to pursue Chihaya.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
I don't have an issue with shipping (I'm not a total hypocrite), I just find the general discussion around the show to be incredibly irritating.

This reminds me of something I thought before about one of your earlier posts. I think you're making a mistake in assuming that every fan of Taichi is a Taichi x Chihaya shipper. Some people - like myself - are fans of Taichi's character but are not pushing for him to end up with Chihaya. Not that I'm an Arata x Chihaya fan either, mind you. The only two characters I ship are the chibis (Kanade and Tsutomu); they'd make a cute couple and already have had some subtle chemistry.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I am also not a Taichi/Chihaya shipper. I am not exactly a Arata/Chihaya shipper either, I haven't made up my mind in that regard yet. Ultimately I just want all the characters to find happiness but this isn't just about romance but also in their growth as Karuta players.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I liked Chihaya, but I'd have to say my favorite character was Kanade. Her devotion to classical Japanese culture is unusual in modern shows about adolescence. It's nice to see a show which supports the notion that modern Japanese teenagers should be aware of their cultural roots.

I don't care much about shipping in general and was glad this show focused more on karuta and less on romance. I have been unhappy with the proliferation of shipping discussions in recent discussions about Shin Sekai Yori as well.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
Shipping wars...

I like Taichi. I like that he gives his all to improve himself while at the same time pushing everyone in the team and encouraging them. I don't particularly ship Chihaya/Taichi, mostly because for me, Chihaya is too dedicated to karuta, she is not the kind of girl to be thinking about romance, because her whole world revolves around a single goal, and all her actions are directed towards that goal. But, since I like Taichi, I would like him to be happy and achieve his own goals (seriously, the way he spoiler[failed to become A-Class twice in a row], for the most stupid reasons made me want to cry in frustration), which is why I feel sad to know he has no chance with Chihaya.

Mostly Chihaya annoys me because she overthinks and troubles herself over the smallest things. Sometimes I feel she's too melodramatic. Oh well, if I'm short of series to watch for winter I may still dip in
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:40 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I liked Chihaya, but I'd have to say my favorite character was Kanade. Her devotion to classical Japanese culture is unusual in modern shows about adolescence. It's nice to see a show which supports the notion that modern Japanese teenagers should be aware of their cultural roots.

I don't care much about shipping in general and was glad this show focused more on karuta and less on romance. I have been unhappy with the proliferation of shipping discussions in recent discussions about Shin Sekai Yori as well.

I don't have a problem with a romance story. I just let the story unfold as the author intends, and make up my mind whether it is "my thing" or not based on what occurs and how it is presented.

I enjoy Chihayafuru for what it is; a story about a karuta club.

Rabid shippers need to be on meds. I think it is pretty obvious with the most obsessive ones. They forget that the characters are fictional, and present scenarios in their arguments that are non-existant within the media itself. I see it all the time.
hyperborealis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:23 am Reply with quote
Suetsugu-sensei sets up the shipping question as a game, with hints going in contradictory directions, as a way of maintaining her readers' interest in the story. Just for that reason I don't think we can expect any definite resolution, until she is ready to finish the manga. The romance is a tease. But what redeems it, I think, is how she uses it to add depth to the show: primarily with Taichi's characterization, but also using it to bring out the romantic connotations of the poetry on the cards, so that the show becomes something very traditional, a visual commentary on the Hyakunin Isshu, the 100 Poems, very like the art on the poems done by painters such as Hiroshige and others. Also, I think the romance is another way of connecting the karuta world to ordinary life, allowing readers to identify with characters, but also pointing the characters' own beautiful obsession with the game to more universal, human motivations and desires. What I find interesting about Taichi is not whether he gets the girl, but the ethic he represents, the traditional Japanese values Suetsugu-sensei encapasulates in his striving for Chihaya and karuta mastery. It is just since Chihayafuru has this depth that it is worth watching annd thinking about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3