• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Manic Maughan-day

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Good show and I agreed with most of what Tim had to say about the state / history of the UK scene.
I was a bit confused by what he said about buying manga over here though - whether you're buying on-line or from your local comic shop, manga comes out at exactly the same time in the UK as it does in the US.

With regards to the BBFC, their rating decisions are contextual: they don't just reflect the content, they also reflect the likely audience and the tone of the piece.

Oh, and I'm completely failing to see the attraction of Twitter.
"This golden age of communication / Just means everyone talks at the same time"
Nanoob

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I bet he's on Virgin, still doubt he gets 50 meg.

I don't get 4 megs proper, and that's in London (BT). Pretty sure Britain's infrastructure is terrible, probably much worse than most of the US.

Plus, the upload is like .3 mb/s :<
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Good show and I agreed with most of what Tim had to say about the state / history of the UK scene.
I was a bit confused by what he said about buying manga over here though - whether you're buying on-line or from your local comic shop, manga comes out at exactly the same time in the UK as it does in the US.

That's because comic shops and online shops stock mostly US import. It's other bookshops that stock UK versions, which are delayed for Tokyopop and Viz releases, but aren't for Yen Press. Can't remember about the others that are actually (officially) released here tho'.

BBFC CUTS are random as hell, or can be, see Paranoia Agent.
Certs are irrelevant, what do I care if a little kid can buy this or not.
Brack

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:

Tell that Amazon UK. It's been a pain getting certain Viz books from them for over a year. Though it seems to be sorted out now, Vertical might be next as they have June releases listed as October releases.

And don't get me started on comic shops marking up Viz books that have UK prices printed on the covers.

Reaper gI wrote:

BBFC CUTS are random as hell, or can be, see Paranoia Agent.

It's not really random, in Paranoia Agent's case it would have been fairly clean cut given the guidelines they work to. Now, you can argue with the guidelines, and I certainly would, but it's a mistake to think they are flippantly cutting things without rhyme or reason.
Copyrighted Name

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 4:41 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Wait, The Fifth Element was good? I remember hearing it was pretty awful so I never saw it.

Fifth Element is one of those movies that people tend to either really love or really hate. I've seen it on TV and personally liked it. Thinking about it now, the direction reminds me of Jean-Pierre Jeunet's work on Alien: Resurrection, except Fifth Element isn't a self-canceling trainwreck. Smile

I'm quite excited about the newly restored Metropolis, and Justin's praise only makes me more excited. I've never seen the film in any form, but seeing a supposedly much better version of what was already a highly regarded film sounds totally amazing.
machetecat

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Navarre's software also comes to bigger electronic stores like Best Buy. My store gets gaming and antivirus software from them regularly. I also see movies and such mixed in with FUNi's DVDs as well.

I remember when Lost came out. I refused to watch it because I REALLY get into those kinds of stories and try to figure out all the little mysteries and such, and I feared it would take all that effort and blow it sky high. Glad I made that decision. Anime hyper

Redline sounds pretty fascinating.... BROHOOD ADS WERE ON ESPN?! Shocked

I never saw Akira. I've seen clips of it, and everyone told me I have to watch it, but I'm not a big fan of the uber gory stuff, and the clips I saw made me pretty squeamish.

I never really got into twitter. I tried it, but I'm a big fan of paragraphs and long posts. I guess I'm just a blogger and forum person at heart. Anime hyper
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
That's because comic shops and online shops stock mostly US import. It's other bookshops that stock UK versions, which are delayed for Tokyopop and Viz releases, but aren't for Yen Press. Can't remember about the others that are actually (officially) released here tho'.

I don't visit Waterstones often but last time I was there, the majority of their manga was imported too. The only times I've had trouble getting hold of manga in a timely fashion has been when buying from commercial book sellers for library orders - they don't generally stock "grey imports" at all.

Brack wrote:
Tell that Amazon UK. It's been a pain getting certain Viz books from them for over a year. Though it seems to be sorted out now, Vertical might be next as they have June releases listed as October releases.

Amazon (and Book Depository) have been screwing up the release dates recently (particularly with Viz releases) but the books are still coming out on the US date - it's just the pre-order information that's wrong.
Granted, a lot of Viz's dates have been slipping recently (e.g. the most recent volume of 20th Century Boys) but that's nothing to do with UK retailers.

Quote:
And don't get me started on comic shops marking up Viz books that have UK prices printed on the covers.

You're shopping at the wrong comic shops. Wink

Quote:
It's not really random, in Paranoia Agent's case it would have been fairly clean cut given the guidelines they work to. Now, you can argue with the guidelines, and I certainly would, but it's a mistake to think they are flippantly cutting things without rhyme or reason.

Agreed.
Ragebot

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
I"m glad to hear a Lost fan being honest about the show. I'm also glad I never watched it. And I'm particularly glad not to have to put up with Lost fans ranting on about how great the show was when they were only trying to justify a bad show.

And how exactly would you would know that everyone who likes Lost is an apologist?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:

Quote:

You're shopping at the wrong comic shops. Wink

Actually UK Viz releases are stickered to alter the price in GBP, the exchange rates changed, it's the USD price that's the corect one (convert that into GBP then see if that matches what they charge).
Pandadice

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh, cool to hear you guys share my dislike of the Metropolis anime.. I think everyone who I know that's seen the movie irl agrees that it's just super boring and not worth the time to sit through. I am however, very interested in seeing this original Metropolis film.. wonder if it's playing anywhere close to me.

Mm... things for Funimation to make into anime.. A sci-fi alternate telling of Robinson Crusoe. I'm surprised it hasn't already been adapted by WMT. But I'd like to see it like Gonzo's Count of Monte Cristo adaptation.

lol.. awman, I'm glad I got out of Lost awhile ago.. I was super into the first 3 1/2 seasons, but after that I just kinda stopped caring about what was happening.

Man Redline sounds awesome dude. I'm definitely anticipating that one

lol, that's awesome the way you explain the British humor. "sarcastically like 'hey look at this crazy Japanese thing'". man that was awesome.

lol "ehh it's not as good as Akira is it" man this guy is awesome. I love this weeks guest xD

awman, that's cool you're watching LoGH. I'm currently watching through that too. I'm at episode 92 and really enjoying it.

Hey Tim, have you seen Time of Eve? It seems like something you might like if you haven't seen it already.

I don't really know how "informative" this weeks anncast was, but it was definitely a fun one. I'm gonna go follow Tim on twitter now xD
YoSoyJaponesa

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Loved the podcast this week! <3

I had no idea about Funimation's sale. I hope they can get someone with a strong marketing team and a big wallet. Did anyone else's stomach churn when they heard about a Twilight anime?*shudder* Well, at least it'll make money...(-_-)

Hmm, I never got into Lost, but I just like watching all the nerds trip out over the ending...(evil snicker). Justin was trying to say "Congratulations" in Japanese, wasn't he? LOL...
I thought the Metropolis anime was okay, but I can see where it has problems. I'll look for the 1927 live action movie when it comes out on DVD...

I seriously want to find that FMA promo now...

At least now I have a point of reference when these damn kids whine about American companies. Lately, I've been curious how other English speaking countries get their anime. (BTW, speaking about TV edits, I've heard that the German version of Naruto was hacked to bits). Ouch...

My mom hates Twitter with a burning passion, maybe if I get a smart phone I'll get a account behind her back...

P.S.:I like The Fifth Element too, but some of the technological designs may turn some people off....
Rolando_jose

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to wait for it to be released in DVD, to add it to the previous restored copy that I have.
Wish I could see it in a big screen. Crying or Very sad
Basilisk Steven

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote
Fellistowe wrote:
Another pre Akira anime I remember from my youth, Ulysses 31. That is so bad looking back at it now!

I'm going to have to cry foul here, because I still think Ulysses 31 is one of the ten best animated series of the eighties. It's got incredible designs by both veteran animator Shingo Araki and Studio Nue, both then at the pinnacle of their talents. It's got incredibly lush animation for its time, thanks to having the budget of two co-producers at its disposal. It's got characters who actually act in thoughtful and mature ways (well, apart from the annoying antics of the kidfriendly robot, I'll grant that). It's got a main character who's a middle-aged guy who mainly relies on his intelligence. But most of all, for an early '80s kids' animation its scripts are incredibly DARK: it has this bleak, antitheistic view of the universe where everyone ond everything is pitted against man, who has only a slim chance of carving out some modicum of happiness. Take another look at episodes like "The Chair Of Forgetfulness" or "Sysiphus": they're practically dripping with a sense of doom and futility. Not exactly standard kiddy fare.

But then again, don't trust my opinion, because I also thought The Fifth Element was an offensively annoying movie, bereaft of any meaning, character, originality, emotion or point, from a director who once rose to occasional brilliance (Leon The Professional), but here seems mainly content to copy all the flashy visuals from the vastly superior Moebius/Jodorowsky comic "The Incal", while forgetting all about its intelligence and vision.

And I kind of like "Overfiend"...
Onizuka666

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
Good episode again.

Nice to hear from Tim. Being a U.K fan, it can be lonely out here sometimes.

Totally agree on Legend of the Galactic Heroes awesomeness, and I think its a great shame it may never see a western release. But who knows, the more people that check out the subs of it, perhaps interest can be generated for a release. I really wish we can see anime with great stories like this again some day. Looking forward to Redline a lot too.

The U.K scene has been circling the drain for ages. Even before online fansubs were the big thing, imported R1 tapes and dvds, gave the U.K the same problem of waiting too long, and having access to a lesser variety drip of the anime sea. I still remember back when it was all about OAVs, when stateside fans were enjoying anime series like Ranma 1/2 etc. Many fans smartly saw that we were missing a lot, partly because of Manga Entertanment selling the 'hard edge sci fi/cyberpunk adult' crowd, and acted out. Just watching one of those old manga trailers now, is hilarious.

As for actual anime conventions, I don't regard the London Expo as one either, and due to the vast hordes of young fans attention seeking, and nothing much to do besides shop, I've stopped attending. Most of these fans have never experienced a real anime con, and that's a real shame. I think that this also feeds into why they care less about anime/manga creators, if none of them are ever seen at these shows. However, this Expo is better than nothing at all.

One thing I would have liked to have heard from Tim, is what he thinks of this bs Dangerous Cartoons Act, that just got passed in the U.K. (Justin and Zac, you guys can add you cents worth too, maybe on the next show). IMO, its much a do about nothing, and is reaching into thought crime territory, and how on earth they are going to police it is mind boggling, with the vast amount of media release every year, let alone countless amounts online. I think this kind of thing, handled badly, could also have the potential to kill the U.K anime market. Remember, if there's one thing fans hate in the anime, its cuts and censorship, something this act could drive (but then again maybe not, as hentai never gets released in the U.K). In the end, it will just lead to more importing, streaming and downloading. I'll still be collecting my anime and manga as usual. Trying to police the net, though, good luck with that, as real criminals wander about with ease.

This act, is like defacing ancient statues of their genitalia, because someone might get a kick from such flaccid wang, but instead of religious organisations doing it, its the biased fools in the government. Pointless exercise. Quick! Protect the statues non-existent rights, against highly unlikely abuse.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
It kills me how the same people who trash Lost for being ambiguous think Twin Peaks and The Prisoner are classics. Pretty much every major plot point was resolved if people paid attention. granted there's stuff like spoiler[The light on the island, and Walt/Daniel/Desmond's powers], but if they tried to make an explanation for that, the show would have to delve into the realm of ridiculous.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5