• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2010-08-18

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:01 am Reply with quote
Oh Robin, you have somehow depicted the entire quintessence of what EVA has become to the world. If this was an Olympic event you have just scored the gold. Well done. The interactive Annal statue says it all. Wink
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:25 am Reply with quote
*reads the strip and laughs at the dumping statue.
I'd like one for work, please. Does Gainax take Paypal?

*reads the comments.
Oh, dtm42, one of these days, Robin will cover RahXephon. Will you be ready?

I've always felt a little ashamed at having never seen Eva.
I'm quite confident I've never seen it.

The shame is gone forever and it's never coming back. If anything, I'm now proud and thankful I've never seen it.
Take with a grain of salt... easier to swallow.

I get the feeling, based on some of the comments, some of you carry regret at having seen it.
or is it hatred... hard to tell, really.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:
I'll go w/ this but only if the audio is thrashed and the compression is horribly artifacted. Any chance it'll be a hentai?

It's Japan, anything is possible. But hey, they could always randomly censor things with screen-obscuring mosaics so you think it's a hentai. Twisted Evil
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:19 am Reply with quote
Very funny! The giant Rei is mind bending. I'm certain there is one Shinji hidden in her. Thanks for the laughs!
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:03 am Reply with quote
Will they be serving Pen Pen Burgers with LCL sauce?

I gather the last movie will have nothing but wasteland for two and a half hours.

Just like George RR Martin's last Ice and Fire book!
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:10 am Reply with quote
I think that Gainax's Eva-merchandising department is only beat out by Disney in regards to totally bizarre merch!

I've always wondered whether it's anime fandom or the anime industry that Anno really resents. Maybe it's both. Either way, even though he's always having disputes with the fans and the corporate folks over Eva, he keeps on working on it and doesn't seem to resent it at all. I think that's really great.

And hey, while we're all talking about our favorite Eva endings, I love both the End of Evangelion and the TV ending! Maybe I like the TV ending a bit more, because it resolves the parts of the show that I am really invested in (the character's emotional development). But I love the movie, too... I wish that there was some crazy fan-edit that put the the last two TV episodes into the Third Impact scenes from the movie! That would be just the perfect ending in my opinion. :) I can't wait to see how Rebuild concludes!
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:40 am Reply with quote
I love all things Eva (anime-wise, the various manga are more of a mixed bag), so if any of the episodes/movies was supposed to be a "middle finger" to the fanbase, by all means keep those fingers coming. It probably helps that I failed to see what was supposed to be so insanely confusing about this series (and FLCL, for that matter). So far, Serial Experiments Lain has been the only anime I've seen that has (somewhat) lived up to the "OMG, you'll be insanely confused!" hype.

Honestly, I don't see what's the big deal about owning a lot of the same character figures. I only have 2 Reis and Asukas each, but if I found more I wanted, I'd buy them and wouldn't mind at all, a good figure is a good figure. Lord knows I'm nowhere near wasting the amount of money morons waste on their poor-performance sports cars or the like.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:09 am Reply with quote
I have a deep amount of hate for Evangelion, so this strip made me chortle pretty good. But that isn't what makes it a great strip. What makes it great is that both die-hard fans and die-hard anti-fans both love the strip.

Good job, Robin!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
The end credits will roll over an 8-bit graphic of Anno pointing at the camera and laughing, while the OP theme from Master of Martial Hearts plays.

Just watching that video hurt my brain. You might as well have hyperlinked ">A very gross website
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Weiss_Yohji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
How many times can you possibly remake the same Rebuild of Evangelion film?

I bet Gainax could even re-cut the TV series with only 30 seconds of new footage of Shinji taking a shit and people would still lap it up.

As for that museum, I wouldn't be surprised if it were to have an Eva pilot simulator. Shows what it'd be like to actually pilot an Eva unit.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:21 am Reply with quote
Weiss_Yohji wrote:
How many times can you possibly remake the same Rebuild of Evangelion film?

Watch 2.22 when it comes out and see if you can make the same comment ^^
GMSenpai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
I don't know why but I just thought of someone who has never heard of Eva reading the strip and assuming that Eva was the highest ever grossing scat hentai ever made. Honestly though, I can think of worse tragedies then how Eva ended.
purplepolecat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:37 am Reply with quote
Cheesecracker wrote:
The tension would all be generated by a remix of Fly Me to the Moon that starts to skip about 10minutes in.

Oh, you've played Bayonetta ? (*rimshot*)

I don't begrudge Anno any of the huge Eva merch profits. No-one forces you to buy it, and it turns out that nihilists like money too. At least Eva is a great show with compelling characters, as opposed to the Ikki Tousen merch glut which is entirely driven by T&A.

I'm totally on board with Rebuild, 2.22 blew me away.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:15 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Rebuild of Eva 4.0 will be a 3-hour long end-of-the-world sequence where, after Kaoru brings about horrifying bloody destruction of everything we know and love, the world collapses into a banal, predictable moe rom-com featuring loli-ized Rei and Asuka fawning over a clueless Shinji. The ensuing two hours will be a barely-modified repurposing of the script from 6 random episodes of H20 ~Footprints in the Sand~ with the names replaced.

The end credits will roll over an 8-bit graphic of Anno pointing at the camera and laughing, while the OP theme from Master of Martial Hearts plays.

...And then I wet myself from laughing so hard. LOL!

Given that it's A) Anno, B) Japan, and C) EVA, I'd say your ending is even money with anything else the man could spit out.

It's times like these I thank myself for not being a fan or succumbing to the rabid 'EVA Fevah'. That and Utena... Having seen both, the How or Why people like these two shows escapes me.

Regardless, Robin rapier wit strikes again!
Manwards

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Great comic, but I have to disagree about the whole "Anno took a dump on the fans" thing. The End of Evangelion was a stunning, beautiful and daring piece of cinema that astounds me no matter how many times I watch it. Why do people hate it? Because characters die? Because you have to work out what the imagery means yourself? What would people prefer, Shinji and Asuka and Rei teaming up and beating all the bad guys and everyone being happy and totally okay forever?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5