• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Show of Farce

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:08 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
My biggest problem with the new Dante look in this DMC reboot is...well, look at him! He's a junkie!

It's not about him being goth or young or rebellious, according to what every editor puts into their articles. It that he looks like a drugged-up dropout listening to the Black Brigade. That's not the face of youth, or even rebellion; that's the face of a meth addiction.

Although, maybe that will come into play in the story itself. Maybe Dante has become a druggie as a means of "rebelling" or whatever you wanna call that. And maybe, throughout the story, he learns to overcome his addiction and clean himself up. Hopefully.

Still in meh with the Kinect. Meth would be more fun.

I had to laugh at the article Ryan Clements did for IGN after it became clear that a lot of people hate the new Dante. He tried to say that people were overreacting because the trailer showed some great action/potential gameplay. I have three issues with using that as a defense: 1. Trailers always make stuff look great, it's all about marketing 2. This franchise has always had really cool cutscenes, and then the player could only do some of the cool moves from the cutscene 3. It's not always about having cool gameplay. People, including myself, are attached to the character I already question the need for a young Dante, since that is what DMC3 had, but I could go for it if he wasn't practically unrecognizable.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Keiji Inafune, who basically called the Japanese game industry a moribund factory for lousy, unappealing crap. He certainly has a point: Japan led much of the games market in the 1990s, but the nation's publishers failed to take advantage of popular trends in the West

When did making great games mean pandering to western sensibilities? Maybe Inafune should leave Capcom and go work for Infinity Ward or Bungie.

If all games took after what was popular in the west, I would have left the medium a long time ago. Thank god for Atelier Rorona (and Totori!!)
utawoutau

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:
When did making great games mean pandering to western sensibilities? Maybe Inafune should leave Capcom and go work for Infinity Ward or Bungie.

If all games took after what was popular in the west, I would have left the medium a long time ago. Thank god for Atelier Rorona (and Totori!!)

I think you are missing some of the context of his statement. He doesn't really have any problem with games like Atelier Rorona, i.e. games that are either low budget or targeted at smaller audiences.

His statements are railing against companies like Square and his own Capcom that make hugely expensive games that are meant to have huge global sales but that don't take western audiences into account. His problem isn't niche games, its big games that don't make money.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:29 pm Reply with quote
utawoutau wrote:
I think you are missing some of the context of his statement. He doesn't really have any problem with games like Atelier Rorona, i.e. games that are either low budget or targeted at smaller audiences.

His statements are railing against companies like Square and his own Capcom that make hugely expensive games that are meant to have huge global sales but that don't take western audiences into account. His problem isn't niche games, its big games that don't make money.

I admit that I didn't read his quote, just what Todd put in the column.

If he's just complaining about money, then that's fine. It looks like Square is trying to shake it up with FME. But ultimately the big companies will have to create original IPs, since the ones that already exist are distinctly Japanese.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
Not to sorta de-rail this but

belvadeer wrote:
Wow, the series has really gone downhill since its glory days on Genesis when it was an enjoyable console RPG. Ever since the online Phantasy Star was released, the series has gotten seriously bad.

Glory Days? No offense, but Phantasy Star 2 has nothing to be proud of, did it have a great story? absolutely, was it one of the most brutal, unforgiving games I've ever played that shouldn't have been? oh god yes, I had that on Sega my friend, the manual WAS A WALKTHROUGH, theres a reason Final Fantasy got bigger then Phantasy Star did

that aside

The new Dante looks like a drugged out Edward Cullen, I'm waiting for Capcom to start apologizing after the game comes out, I mean really? Its not like Dante didn't already have an established fan base and games behind him

and MvC3 reminds me alot of TvC, They just added that dark "Kanji-Stroke" effect onto the characters that was present in SF4, with a couple more signature MvC traits, its not that I don't like it, its kinda like "Ok its here and looks cool, but I really don't care there are other games I'm more interested in"
DTJB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
Totally hyped about Tekken Tag 2. Been dreaming about it since T5 and I knew it was only a matter of time. For anyone who's seen the trailer...wow, Jin is such a d***.
Paul Soth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Another obscure MST3K reference.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
prime_pm wrote:
My biggest problem with the new Dante look in this DMC reboot is...well, look at him! He's a junkie!

It's not about him being goth or young or rebellious, according to what every editor puts into their articles. It that he looks like a drugged-up dropout listening to the Black Brigade. That's not the face of youth, or even rebellion; that's the face of a meth addiction.

Although, maybe that will come into play in the story itself. Maybe Dante has become a druggie as a means of "rebelling" or whatever you wanna call that. And maybe, throughout the story, he learns to overcome his addiction and clean himself up. Hopefully.

Still in meh with the Kinect. Meth would be more fun.

I had to laugh at the article Ryan Clements did for IGN after it became clear that a lot of people hate the new Dante. He tried to say that people were overreacting because the trailer showed some great action/potential gameplay. I have three issues with using that as a defense: 1. Trailers always make stuff look great, it's all about marketing 2. This franchise has always had really cool cutscenes, and then the player could only do some of the cool moves from the cutscene 3. It's not always about having cool gameplay. People, including myself, are attached to the character I already question the need for a young Dante, since that is what DMC3 had, but I could go for it if he wasn't practically unrecognizable.

If this reboot doesn't flop spectacularly I will be AMAZED. What really irks me is Antoniades (the director) has the gall to say that the REAL Dante "would be laughed out of any bar outside of Tokyo" (i.e., basically him taking cultural cheap shots at the East). Plus he thinks that somehow that basing a character on the "disenfranchised youth and underground culture" is a good idea. Y'know, despite the fact that character like that have ALWAYS FLOPPED.
Uthred

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
It's been some time since I played it. But as I recall VC's storyline was fairly good apart from occasional lapses into melodrama or twee sentimentalism. I certainly dont recall it being bad enough to merit Todd's overdone response to it. Am I forgetting something or is it simply a difference in opinion?
Showsni

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is it me who sees Tron Bonne looking identical to Betty Boop (sans the fishnet stockings)?

That's exactly what I thought! I saw the picture first and was wondering "Why is Betty Boop in this game?"

Anyway, nothing particularly appealing to me... Probably because all I have is a Wii. Though the idea of Colonel Sanders in a video game is pretty funny.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
"It'll feature the European version of Ico, which had an alternate ending and optional subtitles for the game's made-up speech."

I missed Ico when it came out so I was looking forward to picking this up. Is it known if the original US version ending will be included as well? (no spoilers please)
Thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3