• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Fist Bumps

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardgear

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
What do they have to do with this? Nobody here is arguing how "deep" other shonen villains are, yet you keep bringing them up.

He was making a point that Fist of the North Star is in fact deep compared to other shows in its genre.

Quote:
I would like to point out though that some people wouldn't really consider the idea of it taking 36 episodes for a character to get developed to be an example of good writing.

As Lord Geo said in his post further up the page, the first 36 episodes of the anime (not the original material, AKA the manga) were stuffed with filler and some arcs that were out of order. Also, he mentions that Shin's development comes later on, NOT during those episodes, thus having you rethink what happened all those episodes ago.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
I would like to point out though that some people wouldn't really consider the idea of it taking 36 episodes for a character to get developed to be an example of good writing.

I didn't say that it took 36 episodes for Shin to get developed. I did say, though, that the anime really stretched out his time as the focused villian. In the manga, Shin's focus was done with in the beginning of Volume 2, after the fight with Heart, and two of the story arcs the anime adapted before the end of Shin's focus actually had nothing to do with Shin in the manga. Shin does get a little bit of extra development shortly afterwards when Jagi is introduced, which does help make you realize why he did what he did in the beginning of the story, but there is more to him that's revealed even later on.

Also, you're taking it as "they took this long to develop this character". In reality, when you find out more about Shin, it's done in more of a "Remember Shin? Well, here's the real story about him." It's done in a retrospect/flashback fashion, way after Shin has no more importance in the story, but what it does do is make you rethink what you thought of Shin as an overall character, which I personally found interesting. In fact, Shin's Dream Mode story in Ken's Rage focuses on this aspect, though in a slightly different fashion.

While the story arcs covered in the second TV series vary in quality, the story covered in the first TV series, which is what is covered in a somewhat abriged fashion in Ken's Rage, really is a well thought-out story that effectively brings back past happenings in a way that makes you realize that you really didn't know everything back when you first watched it.

I would feel that's partly why people feel that Fist of the North Star's story is "complex and rewarding", too: Almost everything that happens ties into a larger whole rather than the story being simply a linear series of story arcs (that's not to say that FotNS doesn't have those kinds of arcs, but in this case they aren't long or have a long-lasting effect). When you realize that there was more to an older story arc than what you originally thought it makes you think about them in a different way and you might even rethink how you felt about characters from that arc.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
It's been several years, but I remember playing lemmings as well.

I remember playing it on one of the few computers in my middle school that ran Windows 95. I didn't know how to exit the game however, and I had been instructed never to press the Escape key without staff approval. As such, I frantically pressed every key except the one that provided the desired function. A true story, I proclaim.

Which is odd because how are you supposed to exit the game if pressing exit was really the only way to leave the game? Obviously, times have changed and more options have been brought aboard with some games.

The same situation happened to several years ago with Rogue Galaxy. Without a doubt, Level 5 is serious about their games and probably hires the experienced and very talented designers, programmers and voice actors. Whoever designed the later dungeons in the later part of Rogue Galaxy must have been either very brilliant or had years of experience building (designing dungeons.)

So here is the actual story. I come across two dungeons, one to the left and right. Not to knock Level 5 (since I really enjoyed almost every game I've played from them) but once you've been playing video games as long as I have (primarily rpg games) this really isn't new to me.

However, the map not leading me in the right direction sure was. I remember the early day's of dungeon maps (or sometimes, for lack of) but even then the maps then weren't to terrible. As long as it points in the right direction and is readable, that is all that matters. Well I followed the compass, but I kept going in either circles or returning to areas I already went to.

So after several hours, I did find my way through the dungeon and beat the boss (hence clearing the dungeon) as well as picking up treasure along the way. Probably would have been much easier if I used a strategy guide or a online guide, but I don't think it would have been as much fun.

Although I could leave at any time, making progress in the dungeon was truly a challenge. But I would do it again, as it was eventually fun and I was able to level up my characters, their items and did several other activities. Of course I turned the active chat off from the start of the game, not because I didn't like the voice actor's hard work, but only because it eventually became slightly annoying.
Uthred

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I found the comment about how FotNS:KR had "sprawling levels" like all the other DW games to be a little odd as it seemed to be a departure from standard DW games. In general DW game load the entire map at once and you can run around it more or less at will. However KR levels generally consist of a number of more constrained smaller maps that link together into a larger map.

Apart from that I generally agreed with the review, its an ok game by itself. If you like DW games (and I do) that pushes it up a notch and if you like FotNS (which I do) that pushes it up another notch.

Its also a tad more complex/involved than older DW games. But thats perhaps only noticeable to someone with experience with the older games. While Im enjoying it so far I do think Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes is better.

I always find it funny when people talk about God of War being "innovative". Though really I think God of War belongs more to the sub-genre of action games that houses Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, etc. Also God of War is far from "the most popular game of its kind". The Dynasty Warrior franchise (not counting spin-offs like Gundam, FotNS, etc) has sold over twice as many units as it, the Devil May Cry franchise has also sold several million more units. So no matter which bracket you care to put it in its demonstratably not the most popular game of its kind.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
Uthred wrote:

I always find it funny when people talk about God of War being "innovative". Though really I think God of War belongs more to the sub-genre of action games that houses Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, etc. Also God of War is far from "the most popular game of its kind". The Dynasty Warrior franchise (not counting spin-offs like Gundam, FotNS, etc) has sold over twice as many units as it, the Devil May Cry franchise has also sold several million more units. So no matter which bracket you care to put it in its demonstratably not the most popular game of its kind.

Well, taking VGChartz numbers as much as one could trust it:

Franchise : Total Sales Americas + Japan + EMEAA = Worldwide (in millions)

God of War : 9.15 + 0.29 + 5.13 = 14.57

Devil May Cry : 4.43 + 2.02 +2.70 = 9.15

Dynasty Warriors : 2.93 + 8.54 + 0.40 = 11.87

Keep in mind that the franchise God of War started in 2005, Devil May Cry in 2001, and Dynasty Warriors in 1997. So maybe it's fair to divide the #sales by #years. And maybe multiplied by the average aggregrate critique score as a percentage factor?

Nevertheless, what we're all missing here is the fact that Lemmings has sold over 20 million worldwide, so it beats any of those games hands down. Laughing
Anonymooo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
Letthemeatraep wrote:
I can't decide what's more stupid here. The ignorant generalising of your opening paragraph or the ironic over-simplification of a picture that uses the main character from Ninja Gaiden of all games as a counterpoint to button bashing gameplay.
Wait, what? Ryu's massive movelist actually gives you a move for every situation, like a block-to-counter/block-to-evade move and forces you to use each move judiciously unless you're playing on Ninja Dog (and Normal to a smaller degree on the earlier levels). The game has a steep learning curve that forces you learn Ryu's moveset as well as you'd learn a character in a fighting game, and how to deal with enemies at varying distances or with varying tactics.

Meanwhile, God of War gives you a handy QTE every time you work an enemy down to 75% health, then you can kill them with timed button presses or mashing circle.
Quote:
God of War is the most popular game of it's kind for a reason, it's earned that, and if you don't like games that refuse to simply be the same single thing over and over that's your look out, but don't be so insulting toward games that at least attempt something resembling variety every now and then.
When I want an action game, I want action. I don't want to break that nonstop barrage of action with "variety," unless there's variety in the action, which Ninja Gaiden delivers by making you change your strategy constantly, especially in the newer titles--enemies who fight at a distance need a response of quick, accurate blocking and a step-in or evade-in, followed by an attack that removes a key limb so you can focus on his six friends trying to ape-rape you.

And God of War is the most popular game of its kind because it's easy. Everybody can get into it and everybody can reach the end with a little elbow grease. The original is constantly praised, and rightly so, for its brilliantly-balanced difficulty and steady curve (even with its sudden drop of an ending). The later games, however, were a cakewalk, but its "more of the same" presentation still makes them very well-made games that many people enjoy.

Good for them, but I'm sorry, it's not an action movie to me if the hero breezes through everybody and doesn't get kicked around a little bit. I like my action games the same way--a lot of blood, sweat, tears and hard work. I understand that not everybody wants this in their games, but there's still an audience who wants to work for their ending.

Edit: If you don't like hard games, good for you, I understand. Not everybody wants to die over and over again. Then again, some of us are masochists.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Raoh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
For all the arguing I am reading, it seems a lot of people are missing the point.

This game is good, mostly because its accurate to the source material, which is rare when something changes mediums.

Sure the review didn't make it seem like that, but honestly, what does that guy know that anyone else doesn't? Reviews are by definition biased. If the reviewer didn't like the show to begin with (which the review makes it seem like), then he won't enjoy the game.

I'm the same way. I think its a good game because I like the show. I mean, my username is Raoh, for crying out loud.

Sure, this game isn't a masterpiece, but that doesn't make it bad. This game is easily a six or a seven, and if you're a fan of the series its even a higher rating. Also, this is probably the best looking game Koei has ever made. The character models are very high quality.

It was amazing enough the game based on a series thats not really popular outside of Japan even made it here in the first place. As a fan I am happy about that.

In regards to the arguments about Shounen stuff, some people need to realize that Hokuto was one of the first Shounen title, and easily the first one I can remember where people fight each other and get stronger, etc etc.

Many modern series exist because the authors are fans of this series and Dragon Ball. The similarties are all over the place. Whether its in Naruto wherein the Hyuuga characters use a martial art similar to Hokuto Shinken, or in Excel Saga where an entire episode is a parody of Fist of the North Star.

People can complain all they want about this, but you know what? I bet this game is better than the latest (and one millionth) Dragon Ball game.
Anonymooo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:03 am Reply with quote
What the guy above me said.

Also, Hokuto no Ken doesn't have a very good track record when it comes to games, while Dragonball has a better spread because there's a billion and one games available for almost every system, and they're still being made today.

For every surprisingly cool if kinda samey ASW fighting game or Koei DW clone, there's gonna be an AARZAK, SAVE THE WORLD. Hokuto no Ken has no luck on the video game front.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:17 am Reply with quote
Anonymooo wrote:

And God of War is the most popular game of its kind because it's easy. Everybody can get into it and everybody can reach the end with a little elbow grease. The original is constantly praised, and rightly so, for its brilliantly-balanced difficulty and steady curve (even with its sudden drop of an ending). The later games, however, were a cakewalk, but its "more of the same" presentation still makes them very well-made games that many people enjoy.

Good for them, but I'm sorry, it's not an action movie to me if the hero breezes through everybody and doesn't get kicked around a little bit. I like my action games the same way--a lot of blood, sweat, tears and hard work. I understand that not everybody wants this in their games, but there's still an audience who wants to work for their ending.

Edit: If you don't like hard games, good for you, I understand. Not everybody wants to die over and over again. Then again, some of us are masochists.

Have you tried God of War on the hard or very hard difficulties? It's not as easy as it seems. And I'd hardly hold Ninja Gaiden up as the poster child of difficulty. After about three levels the difficulty drops off a lot because it's a lot of the same enemies (although this is a commonality of all hack n' slashers) and the repeated use of the same bosses means that the same strategies apply.

And at least the the quick time events offer another option rather than most games where the enemies just say, "Oh, my health bar is gone. I guess I'm dead now."

But whatever. It's clear that you don't like the God of War titles for some reason and won't accept that they offer some of the most fun examples of the hack n' slash genre. It's not like people enjoying God of War takes anything away from those other titles you've mentioned. I own the God of War games, the Ninja Gaiden games, and the Devil May Cry games, and enjoy them all.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:18 am Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
Sure the review didn't make it seem like that, but honestly, what does that guy know that anyone else doesn't? Reviews are by definition biased.

See, here's the part where you suggest that the review is by no means the objective truth, but rather, simply one man's subjective opinion on the game. A fair point.

Quote:
Sure, this game isn't a masterpiece, but that doesn't make it bad. This game is easily a six or a seven

...aaaaand here's the part where you phrase your subjective opinion on the game in a way that makes it sound like some sort of unbiased, objective truth.

Do ya see the problem?
Anonymooo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:02 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Have you tried God of War on the hard or very hard difficulties? It's not as easy as it seems.
I disagree because I murdered the second one on the Titan difficulty within a rental period. I admit that I've only barely tried the third, and wasn't particularly impressed.

Action games are just the only type of game I'm actually good at--everything else I'm only okay at best, you should see me flounder around in an RTS. I want these games to try to kill me as hard as I'm trying to kill them, and God of War just didn't do it for me, and its RAAAAWR BROOTAL HARDKORE image just made me like it less.

Give it Contra: Shattered Soldier or Shinobi difficulty and I'm happy as a clam, though.

Back on-topic to shounen action games, since Viz holds the licenses for all Jump manga, shouldn't it be at least a little easier to get Jump Super Stars and Jump Ultimate Stars out here?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:32 am Reply with quote
Anonymooo wrote:
Back on-topic to shounen action games, since Viz holds the licenses for all Jump manga, shouldn't it be at least a little easier to get Jump Super Stars and Jump Ultimate Stars out here?

First, Viz only has access to the Jump mangas; they don't actually have the licenses to all of them.

Second, the bigest problem with getting the Jump stars games over is that some of those titles have their game licenses with other companies (One Piece is with Namco Bandai, Naruto is with Takara Tomy and Namco Bandai, Fist of the North Star is with Tecmo Koei, etc.). Yeah, you could argue that they have the game rights to the animes and that the Stars series specifically uses the mangas, but that still doesn't make it any easier to get the rights to every manga that's represented in either of the Stars games and hope for them to make enough money back to warrant bringing them over in the first place.
Uthred

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:42 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Well, taking VGChartz numbers as much as one could trust it:

Hmm the numbers on Wikipedia are quite different (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises), not that its particularly more reliable.
IncompetentOverlord

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
I can't tell whether some of the posts above mine are parodies or people legitimately making no sense Sad

I'm a huge Harvest Moon nut so I really want to buy Rune Factory games, but they keep disappearing from shops the second they come out (another recent case of this was Fragile Dreams on the Wii) and I no longer have the means to shop online.

It's nice to see that after 9 3D Sonic games, Sega has finally managed to make a good one. Well done guys!

HEY! Adventure 1 and 2 were excellent. And the day stages in Unleashed were AMAZING. That makes about 3.25 good Sonic games.
naninanino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Well, one thing is for sure. Ken's Rage has gotten a lot of attention around gaming boards everywhere. I finally got myself a copy and I must say that I like it.

The only real problem I've encountered was the somewhat slow camera, which is kind of painful since some of the areas are rather small (even the big maps have narrow corridors) forcing you to move and align the view constantly. Even the quick reset with the guard button doesn't work as well as in some other DW style games I've played. Also, I found the minimap being absolutely useless, leading me to dead ends just because it's so unclear.

Other than that, good stuff. You really feel the power behind your punches here and the audio/visual side is in check. Dual voices? Big plus.Characters play differently and there's lots of stuff to learn through a simple, but kinda fun skill chart. Lots of experimenting with combos trying to master playstyles and taking down bosses quick. Various game modes, co-op and difficulties. Great? For fans perhaps. Decent/average? For the average Joe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4