• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Teen Arrested After Doodling 'Weapons' in Notebook

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:40 am Reply with quote
...Seriously? I can understand authorities and everyone else being a little on edge after the tragedy in Connecticut, but this is just freaking ridiculous beyond compare. At least have some actual viable proof to do something before pulling this crap. Drawing weapons? Stuff that COULD be used to make an explosive device? Good job officers, I think you've narrowed down your search for the next madman to every kid who's ever held a pencil and had a notebook, and they could be living at any house in the US! Excellent work indeed, have another donut.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DeathScytheRuler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I used to doodle all kinds of things in my notebooks in school. My teachers even complemented me on how well I drew swords and guns. Now I'm sure they would have sent me home and advised that I don't come back to school.
MopZ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:53 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely an overreaction.
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Yup, that's school.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:18 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
And so it begins I guess. The annual witchhunt after a national tragedy stemming from mass paranoia and ignorance.

Took the words out of my mouth. Things have really gotten so bad that it's gotten to the point despite the all the craziness they're jut going to watch everything everyone does. Basically the whole freedom deal of "you can do what you want but it stops at certain point" is moot. The thing is no one can know what a person is going to be based on a few things. This is just crazy. Problem is no one knows how to handle such problems so the easiest punishment is to have a "0" policy wrapped it bubble wrap. Sad
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
And I agree 100% with Morgan Freeman's statement.

It's not Morgan Freeman's statement.
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I'll pull an anecdote from my own personal archives that mirrors this story.

The middle school that I attended was run by small minded, fear mongering troglodytes, the types that would cater to the pea brained musings of hyper-offended soccer moms and encroach upon the mental well being of kids if it could gain them a PR/PTA boost by appearing more 'progressive' about security, of which there had never been an issue prior. I also happened to attend at a time when 2 very different events had intersected: The release of the first Matrix movie, and the incident at Columbine.

Now, I had always been a bit of an artist and action stuff had appealed to me as a kid. So naturally, my notebook was filled with drawings of Neo and Morpheus and bullets doing the ripple thing every which way... and yeah, you can imagine where that led to.

I still remember that smarmy, gutter trash look of satisfaction at a job well done when the piece of garbage homeroom teacher snatched my notebook, stared me down, and told me how much trouble I would be in for drawing this stuff. I asked her, hadn't she seen the Matrix? It was wildly popular, after all, and that's what my drawings were of. We'll see about that, she said, and by then the whole room was staring at me like a monster. She had a pride about her, knowing that she had crushed a flare of creativity and did so by using an excuse of protecting everyone from an abstract, hyper-inflated scary situation, of which I showed no prior signs (I was actually quite popular).

That incident followed me. Kids would ask me about "lists" and whisper about me. I stopped caring at all about school and saw it as a shallow, political, anti-creativity hell hole that only rewards those who worship at the alter of roboticism and uniformity. My grades fell, apathy took over, and I withdrew. I became the poster child of what they feared the most.

All because some scare-mongering garbage wanted a pat on the head by the scare-mongering administration, for a job well done in diverting a potential disaster from a completely normal, creative, fun loving kid and his innocuous drawings of the summers biggest hit movie.

I know where the article's kid is at... almost. I never hit juvie for my drawings, but it was an enormous pain dealing with those types of blockheaded administrators who are looking to cover their own asses above protecting the well being of individual children.

Last edited by joshjoshlol on Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:41 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Furudanuki wrote:

OK, then I agree 100% with the unidentified Facebook user.
gorilla491

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:49 pm Reply with quote
The secret to this whole thing. Is redirecting this kids talents into something productive they can do in their lives and in turn society. Not simply throwing them behind bars and chiding and ridiculing them nonstop so as to end the vicious cycle prevalent in societies of today and yesterday. You know, all to make the world a better place for everyone?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Furudanuki wrote:

OK, then I agree 100% with the unidentified Facebook user.

oops... oh well feel like dumb a** now but still those are words of wisdom that should be read off by some one like morgan freeman or james earl jones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Being Chuunibyou is now a criminal offense?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
This is stupid, and shameful.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
What law did this kid break and... what the hell? This is overreaction that has led to the violation of this teen's rights and I hope his parents hire a good lawer and sue the pants off everyone involved, because that is a right I'd like to see them do away with.

Doodles don't mean jack. I and my brother are artists and in high school we probably drew plenty of stuff in our sketchbooks that in comparison to this, if we went to this kid's school, we probably would have been thrown in a prison instead.

This is just stupid. Seriously, get that kid a good laywer and make whatever idiot pay so it's not repeated.
MopZ

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
gorilla491 wrote:
The secret to this whole thing. Is redirecting this kids talents into something productive they can do in their lives and in turn society. Not simply throwing them behind bars and chiding and ridiculing them nonstop so as to end the vicious cycle prevalent in societies of today and yesterday. You know, all to make the world a better place for everyone?

Weapons design, special effects/movie magic, nutty inventiventor in the middle of the woods, comic artist, mechanical designer, or super scientist?
Rence54

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
What law did this kid break and... what the hell? .

I am SO glad someone asked this as i didn't want to feel like i'd missed something obvious. But yeah, what crime did he commit?

Possession of stuff that "could be" used for bombs? Like? In the right hands almost anything can be made into a trigger device, and as others have said, plenty of stuff available at home or from walmart for the rest.

I recall 2 specific classes i taught in the army, one was on Chemical weapons and defending/surviving chem attacks. I went to walmart and in 30 mins bought everything i needed to make a fully functional binary chemical weapon so i could make a training model for the class. (it was fully functional but inert, i'm not that crazy)

The second class was on IED's and again, between walmart and home depot had all i needed in about an hour. for that class i made like 6 models, one of which was sick enough that my team mate had some of his friends from the states EOD team come out to look at, just as a training ex, and they decided i was a sick f*ck. (which in that line of work is kind of a huge compliment) Tho in fairness for that one i also had to hit radio shack lol.

The point is that all of these things were available off the shelf, and all have very innocent uses...so for him to possess things that "could be" used to make a device is like saying someone "could" commit murder because they have a baseball bat. The kid didn't commit a crime until he assembled a working device unless one of his precursor items was a large selection of handgun ammunition, which under some states laws would be a crime to possess under age 18.

Yes, Sandy Hook was a tragedy, but come on, lets not get so paranoid that we're locking kids up just because.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:30 pm Reply with quote
We should arrest all comic artists. They draw guns and weapons all the time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6