• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Heartwarming Marriage Proposals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shsway

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:19 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
At the other end, one of the worst IIRC was in Kimagure Orange Road. Laughing

In that there was no marriage proposal actually made by any of the characters in that series?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:51 am Reply with quote
Shsway wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

In that there was no marriage proposal actually made by any of the characters in that series?

IIRC it's in the last movie.
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:19 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Did they marry? First notice Wink

EDIT: no, I just remember the last movie ("Ano natsu no hajimari") and they didn't marry. In fact, it ended as "triangle, again", if memories does serve me right.

Although it's not a proposal, I'll go with Touch's: "Tatsuya Uesugi loves Minami Asakura more than anything else in the world" Smile
RGaspar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:32 am Reply with quote
Just seen every anime on the list except for the first 2. I'm lame.

Goku X Chichi was hilarious to watch but it wasn't romantic...at all.

I don't think there's a single Dragon Ball fan that was looking forward to that moment. It's even worse in hindsight knowing the easy-going and competent fighter Chichi would become an unbearable always mad house-wife. Marriage ruined the character.

I loved that Toradora's moment. It was somewhat unexpected to me, I thought the series was going to chicken out and delay the marriage for further seasons to come.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Minor note, shouldn't that be for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood? Cause unless I'm really confused, I don't think that's how the original Fullmetal Alchemist ended.

You're right. The original FMA series had little to none Winry development, she was just there in the background. In FMA 2003 Rose/Roze looked much more like a potential marriage option to Ed than anyone else.

Gyt Kaliba wrote:
Even as a Dragon Ball fan, I have to question the inclusion of Goku and Chi Chi, the most platonicly unromantic marriage ever seen. Laughing

(...)

The original version has him saying something more akin to 'Did I say that? Well, I guess if I did then, we should get married', like he's just resigning himself to his fate.

I also remember that version, the "Ok, if I said that I'll stick to that promise I can't even remember". And this is coming from a guy that watched the latino dub version.

Thatguy3331 wrote:
. I never saw all of DBZ but I got a luagh at seeing Goku and Chichi on the list.

Officially, Goku and Chichi's marriage is part of Dragon Ball, not DBZ, in fact DB ends when they go to their honeymoon. So, chances are you've never seen that part before.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Let's see... which otome-based anime is my favorite.... I just love these polls where there's only one option I'm even remotely familiar with, which is probably the only reason La storia della Arcana Famiglia will get any votes whatsoever.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:25 pm Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Did they marry? First notice Wink

EDIT: no, I just remember the last movie ("Ano natsu no hajimari") and they didn't marry. In fact, it ended as "triangle, again", if memories does serve me right.

No marriage, just proposal. It's been over a decade since we last saw it, but IIRC something about caveman and some junk, and we were all wondering what the hell was he talking about?! Laughing
Shsway

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:02 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
No marriage, just proposal. It's been over a decade since we last saw it but IIRC something about caveman and some junk...

YDRC. Not a proposal, but a dorky response to a "first time" between those two characters. No ring, no wedding promises.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This moment makes the rest of the events that much sadder

Yeah, I hated the ending of Clannad After Story too. But it seems like you're referring to the movie's ending if you mean a different kind of "sad" so I'm a bit confused.

Either one, I still prefer Kanon's marriage proposal between Makoto and Yuichi. It didn't last long, it wasn't official but at least it mattered and it stuck {unlike anything regarding Nagisa in Clannad After Story}.

Otome games into animes; I saw all of Cordo D'oro, wondering which pairing will come out on top. It was not an otome show or at least as I understood the concept {Yeah, this was a show about music, not ... wait, was it music? It wasn't romance or something like it}. Was it meant to be more of a commercial for the game than a, let's say, story?

Even though this is the only otome game anime I watched, I own several shoujo male harem series on DVD. So maybe I'm just story biased?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Quote:
This moment makes the rest of the events that much sadder

Yeah, I hated the ending of Clannad After Story too. But it seems like you're referring to the movie's ending if you mean a different kind of "sad" so I'm a bit confused.

Specifically, I mean spoiler[Nagisa promising to always be there for him and then dying. I mean she's "revived" later, but I specifically meant her death.][/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Shsway wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

IIRC it's in the last movie.

kgw wrote:

Shin Kimagure Orange Road: Summer's Beginning movie dealt almost entirely with Kagusa's love for Madoka, and had a wonderful proposal within it, if I recall correctly. Some people hate this movie, others love it. I am in the latter category, and I found the movie very heartwarming.

As far as the LIST! Kudos Lynzee for this one, and YAY YAY for Planetes winning! I loved seeing Clannad AS and Toradora up there as well. Toradora was a show that really surprised me, and I have watched it a few times over already because I want to re live moments like the proposal, the first kiss, and the first confession (Taiga at the pool!). I was a little dissapointed that SDF Macross did not catch a mention, with Max's proposal to Millia, but there will always be something left out of a short list and I loved seeing what I saw in the list that you made. Thanks Lynzee.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen one that tops Toradora! for me, nor a first kiss scene that matches it spoiler[though the first kiss for Kaito, and fourth for Ichika, in Ano Natsu de Matteru comes darn close: "And..." "There's more?" "This is the fifth time." That is right up there with Taiga's "Again..."s]
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I liked all of the marriage proposals on this list but I've got to wonder something. What was Darien thinking when he did that? (I'm using the names from the English dub of "Sailor Moon" for those who don't know what I'm talking about.) Could it have been something like this?

"Serena's a nice enough girl and I think she'd make a fine wife. It's just that I want a break from all the interdimensional villains,drooling monsters and other things like that. That's why I'm going to America to study. I hope she understands why I'm doing this. It has nothing to do with her. I just want a place to study without some vicious beast breathing down my neck every five minutes. I hope she understands that,but this is Serena. If I were studying in Yokohama,she'd break out the tears like it was the last scene in 'Casablanca.' I hope this keeps her happy,at least until I get back. I'll probably say something to her like 'We'll always have Tokyo' or something like that. She'd appreciate that,at least."

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
roseversailles

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
I liked all of the marriage proposals on this list but I've got to wonder something. What was Darien thinking when he did that? (I'm using the names from the English dub of "Sailor Moon" for those who don't know what I'm talking about.) Could it have been something like this?

"Serena's a nice enough girl and I think she'd make a fine wife. It's just that I want a break from all the interdimensional villains,drooling monsters and other things like that. That's why I'm going to America to study. I hope she understand why I'm doing this. It has nothing to do with her. I just want a place to study without some vicious beast breathing down my neck every five minutes. I hope she understands that,but this is Serena. If I were studying in Yokohama,she'd break out the tears like it was the last scene in 'Casablanca.' I hope this keeps her happy,at least until I get back. I'll probably say something to her like 'We'll always have Tokyo' or something like that. She'd appreciate that,at least."

What do you guys think?

We'll always have Tokyo.....!

Laughing I like your theory. While I think that is pretty darn close to what the average college-age guy would be thinking, I believe the intent behind all of it was for him to commit to her and show that, yes, he will return and is serious about marrying her. I can't remember the exact reason for why he'd study in America, but didn't he have a scholarship or something? It was a great opportunity for him.

Honestly, I always saw Darien staying with Serena out of duty, nothing more (anime-only, though). They're together because they're "destined" to be together---look what happens in season two when they briefy break up! This really becomes apparent when Seiya enters the picture and shows what Serena having actual chemistry with someone looks like. Yep, I ship the sinking ship, but hey, I still think they had more of a connection personality wise than Serena/Darien ever did. Destiny's nice, but they clearly aren't on the same level. Oh well, I digress... Wink[/i]
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
roseversailles wrote:

Honestly, I always saw Darien staying with Serena out of duty, nothing more (anime-only, though). They're together because they're "destined" to be together---look what happens in season two when they briefy break up!

Hahaha........... I've said this on a SM ML way back when S1 was airing: that he was being screwed by destiny; his reincarnation may not have the same feelings for her as she does about him, but he is forced to tie-up with her. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3