• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Level E BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
Quality in general is subjective. That doesn't stop us from seeking out critical reviews - at least, it doesn't stop me.

I'm just wondering if anyone feels like the translations are significantly different from each other, and maybe if they think one works better than the other. That doesn't guarantee that I will like it, but it might make it worth revisiting.

I think Theron did a pretty good job describing what he liked about the dub. As for Funi's subs, I haven't re-watched that yet. I think they have the subbed eps up on their site, though. I doubt Funimation used the crunchyroll subs.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
That's an unreasonably loaded question. I don't think that his viewpoint is legitimate. Oh sure, if he doesn't like the twist then he doesn't like it, I've got no problem with that. I've never insisted that people have to like what I like. But he can't then extrapolate it out and say that the show is objectively bad just because he didn't like it. It doesn't work like that; objectivity relies on far more than personal feeling. I haven't seen him produce one legitimate reason why the show was in his words "a stinking pile of crap" except for that it was meandering, which is hardly a fatality.

Almost the exact same thing can be said about your negative evaluations of certain other series. Just sayin'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I personally enjoyed the series with the exceptions of the Queen Bee episode and the last two, which knocked it from a must-buy to I'll think about it.
The first four were the funniest part of the series. I was laughing for days just thinking about them. The Color ranger kids were cute (their teacher was hilarious). The last two though left a bad taste in my brain. The first time the twist is used it's funny. The second time it's not as clever. As Theron said, the ending did feel rushed to me. Like it was tacked on as a way to end the show by saying LOOK Prince Baka got reigned in that's funny, now end the story and on to something else.

Still, I enjoyed more than two-thirds of the series so I'll probably buy it anyway. I can just skip those episodes since Level E is mostly episodic in nature. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone to watch (despite the fiance schtick which bugged me to no end) if just for the first four episodes alone.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I thought I'd be able to get into this show as the Prince was supposed to be a raging, cynical d!ck who made it his life's mission to pester, annoy & ruin the lives of other people. Basically a suave William Murderface.

That's how the promo material sold the show. The idea of Vic Mignogna playing a manipulative d!ck had hilarious potential the likes of which hadn't been seen in anime for years.

The first ep started out with Vic manipulating the protagonist, being a cynical d!ck, but then it went and turned Vic into a ridiculous sap who risked his life to save kittens and who shot regenerating rainbows of peace, love and happiness from every orifice. They should have thrown in a unicorn for good measure.

The only thing the show had going for it, the trait to separate it from the mundane, was Vic Mignogna being a d!ck through and through. This didn't happen and so I dropped the show. False advertising Sad
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I thought I'd be able to get into this show as the Prince was supposed to be a raging, cynical d!ck who made it his life's mission to pester, annoy & ruin the lives of other people. Basically a suave William Murderface.

That's how the promo material sold the show. The idea of Vic Mignogna playing a manipulative d!ck had hilarious potential the likes of which hadn't been seen in anime for years.

The first ep started out with Vic manipulating the protagonist, being a cynical d!ck, but then it went and turned Vic into a ridiculous sap who risked his life to save kittens and who shot regenerating rainbows of peace, love and happiness from every orifice. They should have thrown in a unicorn for good measure.

The only thing the show had going for it, the trait to separate it from the mundane, was Vic Mignogna being a d!ck through and through. This didn't happen and so I dropped the show. False advertising Sad

should have kept watching past ep 2
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:19 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
As usual, this is another solid review by Mr. Martin. The reviewer gave a very good explanation of what the series is about. I was excited about seeing a B grade for story, but anime composed of vignettes does not do it for me.

Theron Martin wrote:
Level E is generally a light, breezy affair, one which does not require viewers to think much

And this is one of the big concerns I have with several FUNi recent releases. Relaxed shows are okay, but I want a stories than can also make me think and engage me. I want to see more series like Steins;Gates and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood from FUNi.

P.S. How did SAO found its way into this conversation. It shows you the popularity of SAO (not greatness; SAO is still an uneven series, Decent at best).

Look forward to Psycho-Pass which is one of the new shows they picked up from the latest season. IMO, it's fantastic and will definitely fit the bill for something thought-provoking, engaging, etc. from Funi, especially if you are a scifi fan. Smile

I'm absolutely loving it subbed and I can't wait till Funi gets to dubbing it so even more people will check it out, I can easily see it on my regular watch list with a good dub like GITS: SAC, which I watched whenever it was on Adult Swim/Toonami regardless of how many times it ran (even though I've watched my DVDs numerous times).
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:39 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
誤称 wrote:
I'm sorry but Togashi is no Mel Brooks.

I think it all comes down to what kind of humor appeals to each person. Everyone has different life experiences, so humor is very subjective. I'm a big Togashi fan, and I guess the things I find funny are the same things that he does, which is probably why I enjoyed Level E. The show is basically a mish-mash of little sketches made up of stuff he wanted to poke fun at. So it worked for me.

Mel Brooks humor, OTOH, has always been very uneven for me. My husband thinks he's hilarious, I don't. My husband didn't seem all that interested in Level E either. Despite this, somehow, we maintain harmony.

Maybe it's because we don't live out our lives as if we are on the internet. When the other person is enjoying something, we don't come out and say "That show you are enjoying is a stinking pile of crap! You like it, Really!?!"

...that would probably result in one of us feeling angry with the other, since it can be easily construed as a personal attack.

just sayin'... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

(personally, I don't understand why people waste their time disparaging a show they didn't like and even dropped after a few episodes. The only reason I could see is a burning desire to antagonize the show's fans. Why?)

Having a differing opinion of a show and calling out what feels like an obviously off-base score for a show is NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK. A personal attack is "Your show sucks and so do you." or "You are an idiot for liking this show." neither of which I said. I said I found this show to be horrible, to be mediocre, to be aimless, to bait and switch the viewer into expecting something and getting something completely different. And to be terrible. I hated this show. I do not hate you, dtm, danilo, or Togashi. I simply find this work to be subpar. A C- or a D+ tops.

And, as this is a discussion forum and not simply a place to agree with each other all the time like brainwashed dittoheads, if I find myself disagreeing with the score given to a certain anime I'll post my thoughts on it. Of course, my thoughts on this particular show are very much NSFW and I self-censored the amount of vitriol I'd originally had stored up for this show and the creator and the lack of plot and the seemingly randomness of it and the bait-switch tactics and the obvious fujoshi-bait advertising and the.... I don't like this show and I could go on for pages on what I don't like about it. Aren't you glad I don't?

Meanwhile, the defenders of the show decide to make it personal by attacking my personal taste in anime. Something a certain detractor of another show I happen to like has done in many threads in which I post. He has a habit of stalking my posts.

I did make a mistake, I pointed out the lack of creativity in having a namenumber name. I apologize for pointing out the obvious fact that if you're name has to have a number behind it you may not be as creative as someone who comes up with an actual unique name. I'll try to do better in the future.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

Total agreement with getchman here. Episode 2 is so completely not what the whole series is that I can easily see how someone could be fooled by it. You learn later on through flashbacks that the whole thing with the kitten was all part of a scheme Prince Baka was using to manipulate the baseball player.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
No Comment

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I feel that good absurdity is highly underrepresented in anime at times. Your review definitely convinced me to at it to my bottomless To Watch list.

I also think it would be cool if more "older" manga got adapted these days. It's easy to pass on by hidden gems that have gotten lost in time, and a new anime might shove them back into focus. I'm not saying every unadapted manga to ever exist needs an anime, but it might make the various premise's of today's industry more varied if they did some digging.

Last edited by No Comment on Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
No Comment wrote:
I also think it would be cool if more "older" manga got adapted these days. It's easy to pass on by hidden gems that have gotten lost in time, and a new anime might shove them back into focus. I'm not saying every unadapted manga to ever exist needs an anime, but it might make the various premise's of today's industry more varied if they did some digging.

Recent anime based on older manga gets made pretty often, actually. There's titles likes Level E (mid-90s), Kaiji (began in the early 90s), Akagi (began in the early 90s), Ring ni Kakero 1 (late-70s/early-80s), JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (began in the late-80s), Play Ball (70s), Ghastly Prince Enma Burning Up (remake of a 70s series), the recent Kindaichi Case Files OVA (90s), & even Initial D (at this point it counts with Fifth Stage, since it debuted in the 90s), to name a few.

Unfortunately, most of these shows just get lost in the shuffle, & the fact that only a few actually get simulcasted/streamed (going off of the list I compiled, only Level E has been simulcasted & Kaiji Season 1 had a short-lived official stream), let alone licensed (Enma didn't get streamed, but was lucky to get licensed), only really exacerbates this.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Having a differing opinion of a show and calling out what feels like an obviously off-base score for a show is NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK.

So Theron Martin doesn't count as a person?

誤称 wrote:
I simply find this work to be subpar. A C- or a D+ tops.

Fair enough. But that is not the way you phrased it. And when you go on to say things like:

誤称 wrote:
...I do not hate you, dtm, danilo, or Togashi.... I self-censored the amount of vitriol I'd originally had stored up for this show and the creator...

and insinuating invectives like,

誤称 wrote:
... brainwashed dittoheads...

誤称 wrote:
...fujoshi-bait....

it puts me in doubt of your sincerity

Sad

(btw, if you feel like someone is cyberstalking you, report them to the mods.)
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:44 pm Reply with quote
@tuxedo Theron does count as a person of course, but I didn't attack him personally. I attacked his score on the anime in question, not him as a person. If I was to attack Theron, I'd say something like "Theron smells funny." not "The score for this anime is too high." Is Theron not giving this anime an A+ somehow a personal attack on the creator, the anime's staff and the parents of said people? No. It isn't.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
I did make a mistake, I pointed out the lack of creativity in having a namenumber name. I apologize for pointing out the obvious fact that if you're name has to have a number behind it you may not be as creative as someone who comes up with an actual unique name. I'll try to do better in the future.

You're still harping on about that? You probably think that you can tell people's intelligence by judging the distance between their ears. Having a username that has letters and numbers does not show a lack of overall creativity no matter what you think, just like having a username in moon runes doesn't mean you don't know how to write in English.

You don't even know the reason why I have this username, so you're talking out your arse.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the “Are you ready?” by Prince Baka, which leads into it in most episodes, sounds like it was dubbed for this release

Actually it's part of the original song Smile Vocalist did a good job not turning it into engrish huh? Anime hyper Wonder if any of the other english phrases in the closer were decipherable...

I really loved this show and would love to lend it to some of my friends (as well as rewatch it myself), so hoping that someone/company in Australia will bring it over, especially since I just remembered that Blu-ray is not region free *sad*
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:16 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

Total agreement with getchman here. Episode 2 is so completely not what the whole series is that I can easily see how someone could be fooled by it. You learn later on through flashbacks that the whole thing with the kitten was all part of a scheme Prince Baka was using to manipulate the baseball player.

The show seemed so stereotypical and uninteresting save for the prospect of Vic voicing a d!ck (self-deprecating "everyman" young protagonist sent to a new school, girl-next-door thing...) that when that prospect went bust when they had Vic's character start shooting regenerative rainbows I was literally unable to continue watching to the next ep, where y'all promise it became better, as there was truly nothing in the show to keep my interest.

Additionally, I was expecting a bit more ruthlessness, a bit more "crazy" from Vic's character. I was expecting a combination of Kira (Death Note) & William Murderface (Metalocalypse) put into a blonde, effeminate male body that just begged for Vic Mignogna's considerable vocal talent (which would make such a character infinitely funnier). That's the impression I got from the material to which I was exposed before I watched. Sadly Vic's character didn't, in the first ep, show any indication of measuring up to that expectation of a properly ruthless & conniving, yet hilarious, manipulator of men.

I read this review to see if that expectation would be fulfilled in later eps and if I could salvage the series by skipping to one such episode. If I knew that there were such a "light at the end of the tunnel", so to speak, I could slog through a series that seems uninteresting initially (or for 14 episodes, in the case of Solty Rei). However, the review didn't give me hope of that being the case here.

Oh well, my anime backlog is much too large as it is. I'm still disappointed but at least Vic is still getting some real anime work. maybe he'll be in something that I find watchable later on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4