• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:22 am Reply with quote
I should point out that REM sleep only occurs for part of your sleep time, not even a majority of it IIRC. I thought that number of hours of service might've been a mistranslation of some sort. I was reminded of Heroic Age where a lot of time durations were given in hours, even when using days (or in this case months/years) would've made more sense. I wonder if this is some sort of Japanese thing.

Anyway, a pretty good first episode. This is probably my most anticipated title this season (since it looks like Attack on Titan isn't going to be getting an official stream). I agree that Ledo's society looks pretty messed up. My guess is that he is a genetically modified human designed to be a soldier. He is not a citizen but if he happens to survive long enough, he becomes entitled to limited citizenship so that he can pass off his genes to a new generation.

I wonder why Earth was left behind in the first place, or when they made contact with the aliens (who are an "inferior life form") and what took place during that first contact that led to such an intractable-seeming situation.
drdr48

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a really interesting idea for a main character.

Red was a soldier for whole his life, he knows nothing but killing.

A main character without remorse is something that could be very frightening for the other characters on earth...

Last edited by drdr48 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:45 pm Reply with quote
It looks like Ledo's environment and upbringing was extremely sterile, both physically and emotionally. However, it is clear that he is still capable of feeling things (despite some of the things he said/thought early in the episode) due to his reaction towards what was happening to the people who were placing the quantum bomb and the actions of his commander: those are not the reactions of someone who has turned into basically an empty vessel whose sole purpose is following orders.

I'd guess he's a lot like Sousuke Sagara from FMP, and will need to go through a period of deprogramming, which will probably make him "unfit" as a soldier for the Human Alliance. It'll be interesting to see how Chamber reacts to it, as I would guess part of its job is to ensure that the pilot's personality does not deviate too far from established norms, which will almost certainly happen.
drdr48

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
It looks like Ledo's environment and upbringing was extremely sterile, both physically and emotionally. However, it is clear that he is still capable of feeling things (despite some of the things he said/thought early in the episode) due to his reaction towards what was happening to the people who were placing the quantum bomb and the actions of his commander: those are not the reactions of someone who has turned into basically an empty vessel whose sole purpose is following orders.

You should wait and watch episode 2... That's all I'm going to say.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:04 pm Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:

I've gotta wait for it to come out on CR, I'm afraid. So that won't be until next week. Confused
drdr48

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
drdr48 wrote:

I've gotta wait for it to come out on CR, I'm afraid. So that won't be until next week. Confused

Oh that's too bad. Unless you want me to tell you Laughing
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:17 pm Reply with quote
drdr48 wrote:
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
drdr48 wrote:

Oh that's too bad. Unless you want me to tell you Laughing

! Absolutely not! I'm not *that* impatient. Besides, it's fun to speculate. I like doing that almost as much as seeing what actually happens.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Even if I didn't like the first episode, I would probably keep on watching at least another 10 or so episodes just because of Urobuchi and because I would be pretty sure something awesome would be happening in the weeks to come. The fast that I did like the first episode very much makes me even more excited. Very Happy The setting, at least at the moment, looks like a certain Avatar/Dances with Wolves vibe might be hard to avoid, but I am not worried about that. Urobuchi has yet to disappoint me. Psycho-Pass' ending was a fine example how you can avoid cliches within a familiar setting. I am looking forward to the next episode.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:33 am Reply with quote
I just saw the 2nd episode and I hope we don't have to wait 2 weeks for the 3rd one to come out Sad
Parse Error

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:17 am Reply with quote
Urobuchi's involvement had me committed to this one from the word go, so I never bothered with anything like synopses or PVs, and had no idea what to expect. The first half was horrifying because it reveled in the worst excesses anime space operas are susceptible to, leaving me all the more relieved that the second half went in a more pleasant direction and it became clear why it was necessary to cram so much in earlier. Hopefully I will be checking out the second episode fairly soon, just because I'm impatient to see what's going to happen, which is always a good sign.
ikki_king

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:11 am Reply with quote
as soon as i found out this was an original anime with
Kazuya Murata directing I have been excited to see this, 2 episodes in and I am loving it the spoiler[oh **** what have you done] ending to episode 2 was brilliant
slynxx

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:34 am Reply with quote
spoiler[ending of episode 2 was absolutely brutal definitely reminded me of war of the worlds with the laser zapping]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:43 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

Still going well, the dialogue being set up with learning about both separate cultures is rather intriguing. What is normal for one culture is scary for the other, and what is a matter of life sounds completely alien to the other. Although it seems that both essentially are very similar, both live on ships with no home as we know it. Having Amy talking to them, getting amazed, and later him kind of amazed at the water bugs and lightening, were my favourite bits.

And that ending, it was kind of heroic in him spoiler[saving people, but it was also frightening, that he could so easily decide what to do, and completely disintegrate all opposition so quickly]. I seem to remember him mentioning something about wonderers who apparently cause trouble in space. I wonder how his actions will affect how they treat him.

Interested in where this is going to happen next.
drdr48

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

About the ending, spoiler[was it just me or is the ending of this episode was very disturbing? I mean at first sight Red does seems like a bad-ass at the end of this episode. The ending doesn't play like a dark and disturbing ending, BUT that's exactly what it was.

Think again what happened there. Amy wanted Red to just make the pirates to go away but he outright, cold bloodedly murdered all of them. And the WAY he did it was also horrifying when you really think about it.

You can also see the reaction of the other characters to what Red did at the end and I'm sure they are going to be very afraid of him from now on...

Think about it, he was a soldier for whole his life, killing is like second nature to him. So I don't think he has any problem nor remorses about killing others, and he has that powerful robot with him, which could be very frightening for the peaceful people of Gargantia.

Like what if he suddenly decided that they were the enemy?

I'm sure that he won't but they don't know that, so to them it's a very scary situation.]

Last edited by drdr48 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote
More than just being a soldier, he was a spoiler[soldier in a war against an enemy that was not negotiated with, so things like surrender or warning shots are foreign to him.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 52