• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim to Begin One Piece with Episode 207 on May 18

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:21 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
BonusStage wrote:
MoonPhase1 wrote:
DBZ, DBZ Kai and GT doesn't have much to edit out. One Piece does since it's for an older audience.

Smile Actually, One Piece and Dragonball are all aimed at the same audience: children. They're both very popular morning kids shows in Japan

The target audience isn't children(Doraemon, pokemon and Inazuma 11 is for children). The target audience for DB and OP is Teens!

Yeah no its not. It's a kids show dude.

11G4GUNOT wrote:
....And nothing of value was lost
hey adult swim enough of shounen crap play something not mainstream and get the 'ol ACTN back.

Yeah that Shonen crap is working pretty well. Naruto competes with Adultswim's other show with good ratings in the 18-25 demo. I would rather have something like Tiger and Bunny on too than another long running show that takes up space but they work,
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
There's two sides of this coin. On one side, if they started from the beginning, it would have taken two years to get back to where we originally left off. On the other, newcomers are going to be completely lost. I hope this series' fanbase is devoted enough to keep it going.

So air two episodes a week!

Surely that'll bring in some new marks as well as old ones.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:01 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
bigivel wrote:
The target audience isn't children(Doraemon, pokemon and Inazuma 11 is for children). The target audience for DB and OP is Teens!

One Piece's timeslot was previously held by Digimon, and that timeslot is a very popular Sunday morning kids timeslot. The TV station even lists it under their kids anime category. There's nothing wrong with admitting you watch a kids show.

The vast majority of One Piece readers are over the age of 18 and well over a third is over the age of 30.

animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2011-02-09/nhk/9/10ths-of-one-piece-manga-buyers-are-adults

Its a manga that came out 15 years ago in a country thats population pyramid is upside down.

Which would also explain this

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-01-16/official-one-piece-3d-breasts-mouse-pads-for-sale
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
11G4GUNOT wrote:
....And nothing of value was lost
hey adult swim enough of shounen crap play something not mainstream and get the 'ol ACTN back

My obnoxious egotistic hipster senses are tingling.

And the way the Japanese view a "kid's show" is much different than the way the West views a "kid's show".

Last edited by MasterKingJC on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Whatever happened to a good ol' marathon? Blast that show at full strength.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:48 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:

WRONG. It's all kids shows. Get your facts straight.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Saturday morning anime on major TV stations are undoubtedly kids shows. It's just that the limitations/restrictions on kids shows in Japan are not nearly as numerous as they are in the US.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The vast majority of One Piece readers are over the age of 18 and well over a third is over the age of 30.
Which would also explain this

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-01-16/official-one-piece-3d-breasts-mouse-pads-for-sale

Looks like typical kids show merchandise to me. Lots of kids shows have (NSFW) mouspads, and figures and videos like that

I know "kids show" has a stima among some anime fans who don't treat them as "real anime" because they're like 13 and want to seem more mature and adult than they are (not saying you are like that) but it's just as MasterKingJC said. The standards of what makes up a 'kids show' in Japan clearly are much looser than those in America. That's why you can show a big busty blue genie with pierced nipples topless in Magi in a children's show in Japan. That freedom of content is no doubt why those anime are so popular worldwide outside their intended demographic.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote
gingergaffot wrote:
Tylerr wrote:
Skipping Arlong/Baroque Works Saga?

err... you don't know what saga is?

Arlong arc/Baroque Works Saga

There fixed it for you...
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Yeah, Saturday morning anime on major TV stations are undoubtedly kids shows. It's just that the limitations/restrictions on kids shows in Japan are not nearly as numerous as they are in the US.

Right, it might be primarily aimed at kids, but it's open to all ages, including ravenous otaku. You're not ostracized for being in your 30s and a One Piece fan because it's so overwhelmingly popular.
Landstander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure I can't be the only person that passed on the original airing because of so many complaints about how badly butchered it was from censoring.

Now I'm supposed to have seen 206 episodes? Bah.

Naruto on the other hand I DID watch even though they cancelled it with less than a dozen episodes left. And yet that gets a restart, assumingly because it is uncensored? Double bah.

Instead of re-airing old and cancelled shows (Thundercats, Sym-bionic, Eureka 7, FMB, Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha) and do blocks of uncensored One Piece?

Oh and Inuyasha? I came to that late, but they dropped it with 3 seasons left when they decided to RESTART Toonami.

Seriously, how hard would a 4-6am block of OP be? Or daily airing? 4-7 episodes a week would catch things up fast.

These guys aren't really doing much to earn my loyalty since I have to keep tracking down episodes of series that they cancel (or start in the middle).

I'm about ready to give up on Toonami as a failed experiment.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Landstander wrote:
I'm sure I can't be the only person that passed on the original airing because of so many complaints about how badly butchered it was from censoring.

Now I'm supposed to have seen 206 episodes? Bah.

Naruto on the other hand I DID watch even though they cancelled it with less than a dozen episodes left. And yet that gets a restart, assumingly because it is uncensored? Double bah.

Instead of re-airing old and cancelled shows (Thundercats, Sym-bionic, Eureka 7, FMB, Cowboy Bebop, Inuyasha) and do blocks of uncensored One Piece?

Seriously, how hard would a 4-6am block of OP be? Or daily airing? 4-7 episodes a week would catch things up fast.

I mentioned this earlier, but airing more than one episode a week would cost Toonami more money. I shouldn't have to tell you how strapped for money Toonami is.

And One Piece has been available online and on DVD officially, sub and dub, for almost five years.
Toonami shouldn't have to hold your hand.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
it kinda stinks its at 1:00am but hey, whatcha gonna do?

Figure that they are going for synergy?

Quote:
all of the supposed 'big 3'

And there it is. No hour-long blocks at the end, no mysterious cabals pushing back the "good" shows, just keeping the "big 3" together.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Whatever happened to a good ol' marathon? Blast that show at full strength.
To "blast" 206 thirty-minute episodes, you're talking about a four day, seven hour marathon. To do all 595 episodes ANN's encyclopedia list, it's take one week, five days, nine hours and thirty minutes.

Now, I don't know about you, but after the first quaterfortnight I tend to move on to other things(like sleep).
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:51 pm Reply with quote
This show needs to be shown more than once a week for it to work. Toonami, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD expand! Plus, 1am is way too late to watch something that most haven't seen in years. Besides, the first several story arcs have never been shown on US TV, unless you count the 4Kids version, but that hardly counts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5