• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Gatchaman, Di Gi Charat, Godannar Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I've just started watching the original Di Gi Charat anime. Glad it got relicensed. Hopefully they can rescue Di Gi Charat Nyo from Bandai if this sells well.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
I've just started watching the original Di Gi Charat anime. Glad it got relicensed. Hopefully they can rescue Di Gi Charat Nyo from Bandai if this sells well.

Bandai never released the complete series. Only up to episode 76(36) of 104(52)...
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:18 pm Reply with quote
deathfromabove1993 wrote:
I don't think it will all be released in one set. For 105 episodes, I would imagine about 8-9 sets.

It would never be 8-9 sets ~ either 4 sets of two-packs, 2 sets of four-packs, or the full series in a set.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
The ADV Gatch sets had gorgeous boxart from Alex Ross of Kingdom Come fame. Is that going to be on the new ones?
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:50 pm Reply with quote
I love Digi Charat, and Winter Garden is one of my favorite short anime ever! I have the Japanese premium DVD, so I won't be getting the English, but had they released this even one year ago, I totally would have! I waited 7 years for pete's sake!
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Is Sentai doing a "Save the homeless ADV titles clean up" because if I may make a suggestion they should rescue Azumanga Daioh, it's a classic comedy and it deserves to be viewed by many of the up and coming anime fans. Mr. Green They also should re-release Kaleido Star, it's beautiful on DVD, I can hardly imagine what it would look like on Blue Ray! Shocked

Last edited by yotsubafanfan on Sat May 25, 2013 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:14 pm Reply with quote
^ Agreed, and I would also like rescues of both Getter Robo Armageddon & the Zone Of The Enders anime so we can finally get them on Blu-ray over here.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
^ Agreed, and I would also like rescues of both Getter Robo Armageddon & the Zone Of The Enders anime so we can finally get them on Blu-ray over here.

I actually caved and bought the GRA BDs.

So good. Very Happy

Now, I'd love of a redub of GRA myself, but alas if it is rescued, I can't see it happening. The dub that ADV did did not stand the test of time well at all. Actually, scratched that. It was never good to begin with.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Wow, didn't expect this to get rescued. Glad that it happened. I own all the original LE sets, with the Alex Ross covers. Sadly it would take a year later to see a good deal of the damaged from an unexpected water burst from my ceiling. I'd be curious to know if Sentai would be able to release them with the Alex Ross LE covers? Just a thought hope it's possible.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Now, I'd love of a redub of GRA myself, but alas if it is rescued, I can't see it happening. The dub that ADV did did not stand the test of time well at all. Actually, scratched that. It was never good to begin with.

I bought the DVDs a month ago at Amazon for very cheap and while I thought the dub wasn't that great (not as good as Mazinkaiser), I've heard much worse from Monster Island than that (looking at YOU Lost Universe & Rurouni Kenshin movie & OVAs).
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Missed the original release of Digi Charat, glad I've now got a second shot at it Smile
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:23 am Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Is Sentai doing a "Save the homeless ADV titles clean up" because if I may make a suggestion they should rescue Azumanga Daioh, it's a classic comedy and it deserves to be viewed by many of the up and coming anime fans. Mr. Green They also should re-release Kaleido Star, it's beautiful on DVD, I can hardly imagine what it would look like on Blue Ray! Shocked

When Azumanga Daioh was pulled from Anime Network a while back, they said the title was "being negotiated." It hasn't reappeared yet, so it seems Sentai has been unable to come to a licensing agreement on it.

Funimation also hasn't acquired it yet. Given the fact that the show was reported to be very expensive and that it never quite reached the sales level ADV had hoped for, I think it may just be overpriced at the moment.
deathfromabove1993

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:02 am Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:

Um, Funimation already released Kaleido Star, twice. And there's no word on a BD release for that.

As far as Azumanga Daioh, it definitely deserves another release.
victor viper

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:02 am Reply with quote
Di Gi Charat, all right! Since the Synch-point release didn't have the extra OVA episodes, I'll definitely be picking that up.
chloes_fork

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:19 am Reply with quote
There's a part of me that's a little annoyed at the Gatchaman license rescue, since I underwent a long and epic quest to belatedly collect ADV's original release after it went OOP. At least I never succumbed to the temptation to pay outrageous scalpers' prices for it, but bided my time till I could get reasonable deals.

But I should actually be more generous of spirit and be glad this awesome series is going to be back in print for the enjoyment of all. Here's hoping it does well enough that Sentai will consider picking up the sequel series. I saw somebody uptopic saying they sucked, but I'd still like to see for myself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4