• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Acquires Ghost in the Shell: Arise Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:

In the recent ANNCast Funimation reps indicated that they learned their lesson with Tenchi GXP about not bringing back original dub cast members when they were available (thus getting much more of the original dub cast for Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki, and for the new Black Lagoon dub, Hellsing Ultimate IIRC, etc.). Since so much GitS has been dubbed in LA before I suspect they'll try to just make it another LA dub as long as enough of the original cast members can be brought back.

Same thing with the Black Lagoon dub; at the premiere at Anime Central the representative admitted they knew if they didn't get back the original cast the fanbase would have burnt them to the ground (and Brad Swaile jokingly admitting he would have brought the torches). I just can't see anyone else as Togusa, Batou, Aramaki, and the Major.
daichi383

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna wait for the dubbed release and they sure as hell better use the original cast. I don't care how much younger they are, they are still basically adults so changing actors altogether wouldn't make sense. Mary , Richard and Crispin better be back at least. Wink
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I applaud this smart move by FUNi. I am guessing FUNi just became public enemy #2* in the eyes of Aniplex USA detractors. After all, how does FUNi dare to do a sub-only (and possibly pricey) import. Death to Funimation!

* #1 public enemy being AoA of course.
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I applaud this smart move by FUNi. I am guessing FUNi just became public enemy #2* in the eyes of Aniplex USA detractors.

Considering that they're going to do a regular release later, I somehow doubt it. Razz
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:52 pm Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:

In the recent ANNCast Funimation reps indicated that they learned their lesson with Tenchi GXP about not bringing back original dub cast members when they were available (thus getting much more of the original dub cast for Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki, and for the new Black Lagoon dub, Hellsing Ultimate IIRC, etc.). Since so much GitS has been dubbed in LA before I suspect they'll try to just make it another LA dub as long as enough of the original cast members can be brought back.

Well, apparently they didn't learn their lessen enough. Look at their handling of the Trigun movie and Shakugan no Shana. Razz

angelmcazares wrote:
I applaud this smart move by FUNi. I am guessing FUNi just became public enemy #2* in the eyes of Aniplex USA detractors. After all, how does FUNi dare to do a sub-only (and possibly pricey) import. Death to Funimation!

At least FUNi is doing a regular release later. Razz Aniplex USA should take the hint, or possible even do what Sunrise is doing (they still hold the license, but distribute them through companies like FUNi, RightStuf, and Sentai).

Also, this technically isn't a "FUNi" release. They're just distributing this for the Japanese.

Although I have no doubt that this will sell out pretty quickly. 2500 copies is NOT a lot by any stretch.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes it's good not to get the original cast back.

Especially if the original dub cast was horrible.

Not the case with this (the dub for SAC is excellent), but if this isn't even canon to SAC, there's no particular reason to get everyone back from SAC for Arise, especially when the Japanese aren't.

The Trigun movie dub didn't suffer a whit from recasting. The Rebuild of Evangelion dub should have recast more (getting rid of Spike Spencer would help).

Just look at how much better Dragon Ball Z Kai's dub was by removing Stephanie Nadolny, Tiffany Vollmer, and Linda Young and replacing them with Colleen Clinkenbeard, Monica Rial, and Chris Ayres, respectively.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:08 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

As one of AoA's biggest detractors I whole-heartedly disagree. For two main reasons:

1. Unlike Aniplex, FUNimation is telling us right up front that there WILL indeed be a bilingual release in the future. There's no leaving it up to chance like AoA does.

2. FUNimation's non-import release is guaranteed NOT to cost as much as Aniplex's usual releases. And they'll probably put it out in a BD/DVD combo pack like the ones AoA seems to be so allergic to.

I'm actually really stoked for this. It gives the hardcore collector types the chance to get the show around the same time as the Japanese, while the patient casual types get their usual edition a bit later. It's a win-win for everyone. Very Happy
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:16 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Well, apparently they didn't learn their lessen enough. Look at their handling of the Trigun movie and Shakugan no Shana. Razz

*sigh* For the LAST TIME:

They TRIED to get the original dub cast back for Trigun. The problem was that Jeff Nimoy wanted more money and acted like a whiny child when he didn't get it, and Lia Sargeant has largely quit voice acting. I do feel bad from Dorothy Fahn, but to be fair, Milly and Meryl play a cameo role in that movie at best.

And Shana isn't popular enough of a series to merit the costs to outsource 50 episodes, 4 OVAs, and a feature film to Ocean Group, especially when many people think that the original Shana dub wasn't all that great to begin with.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:20 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Sometimes it's good not to get the original cast back.

Especially if the original dub cast was horrible.

Not the case with this (the dub for SAC is excellent), but if this isn't even canon to SAC, there's no particular reason to get everyone back from SAC for Arise, especially when the Japanese aren't.

The Trigun movie dub didn't suffer a whit from recasting. The Rebuild of Evangelion dub should have recast more (getting rid of Spike Spencer would help).

Just look at how much better Dragon Ball Z Kai's dub was by removing Stephanie Nadolny, Tiffany Vollmer, and Linda Young and replacing them with Colleen Clinkenbeard, Monica Rial, and Chris Ayres, respectively.

If the fans want it, then they should make every bit of effort making it happen. FUNi's Shakugan no Shana dubs are completely lifeless and lack so much that the original Ocean dub of Season 1 had. Tabitha St. Germain is one of the greatest voice actors around, and the sheer thought of her being replaced is mind-numbing.

I thought the Trigun movie sounded awful compared to the TV series. Getting rid of Jeff Nimoy, Dorothy Elias-Fahn, and Lia Sargent was a mistake. Not even Johnny Yong Bosch and Luci Christian could save that. Of all the cast members, the only one I could understand maybe is Lia Sargent, but I'm a tad biased since I'm not a fan of hers, and she's retired. However, I'm a HUGE Dorothy Fahn fan, and was quite pissed at the way FUNi treated her (she says she and Nimoy would've lost money with how FUNi would've paid them). FUNi clearly didn't give a darn about the Trigun movie.

With Tenchi Muyo GXP, it was just for one episode, yet the fans still made noise. Heck, the fans STILL made noise when Ryoko's voice was changed for OVA 3. At least FUNi TRIED, and was still able to get back the voices for the rest of the main cast.

If the SAC cast was so great, why not use them? There's few people in FUNi's talent pool that can compare to Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Richard Epcar, and Crispin Freeman.

SpacemanHardy wrote:
They TRIED to get the original dub cast back for Trigun. The problem was that Jeff Nimoy wanted more money and acted like a whiny child when he didn't get it, and Lia Sargeant has largely quit voice acting. I do feel bad from Dorothy Fahn, but to be fair, Milly and Meryl play a cameo role in that movie at best.

And Shana isn't popular enough of a series to merit the costs to outsource 50 episodes, 4 OVAs, and a feature film to Ocean Group, especially when many people think that the original Shana dub wasn't all that great to begin with.

If you were going to LOOSE money in a business offer, would you take it? I don't think so. Wink

As for Shana, FUNi's dubs are getting considerably WORSE reception than Ocean's dub (lead by Tabitha St. Germain) did.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:25 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Called it Very Happy

But I am frankly surprised they're doing the sub only release before the dub. On the other hand, Aniplex of America should learn a thing or two from this
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

You say you feel bad for Dorothy Fahn when she did the exact same thing as Jeff on this forum. Rolling Eyes

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=990501#990501
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=990619#990619

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
With Tenchi Muyo GXP, it was just for one episode, yet the fans still made noise. Heck, the fans STILL made noise when Ryoko's voice was changed for OVA 3. At least FUNi TRIED, and was still able to get back the voices for the rest of the main cast.

Yet they went in-house for Sasami with a completely different cast just like the Japanese did which in the case of the latter turned out to be horrible.

Last edited by NJ_ on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Nice, though I think I'd rather wait for Funi's, hopefully dubbed, version later. As much as I love GITS. I don't feel like paying import prices X 4 for this OVA. I'd rather just buy it all at once, bilingually.

Last edited by Kruszer on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting. As far as I know this is the first time Funi has done something like this. I'm curious as to what the price of this special edition will be.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Well that cool they got this but its going to take forever for them to release this
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Yet they went in-house for Sasami with a completely different cast just like the Japanese did which in the case of the latter turned out to be horrible.

True, though Sasami: Magical Girls Club never got much attention here, and the show is so disconnected from the main franchise, it hardly mattered. I guess since the Japanese cast changed too (keep in mind only five characters from the original media appeared), it didn't seem as big a deal (though there's been cases where the opposite occurred, like the Berserk movies and FMA Brotherhood where the Japanese cast changed, we kept ours almost completely consistent).

Alison Viktorin was a decent choice for Sasami, and Monica Rial served her purpose as Misao (neither could compare to Sherry Lynn or Debi Derryberry though), but Colleen Clinkenbeard as Mihoshi, Luci Christian as Washu, and Zach Bolton as Ryo-Ohki were just bizarre casting choices.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6