• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon to Move to Washington D.C. in 2017

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcus Carr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:56 am Reply with quote
I live in downtown Baltimore and I haven't gone in a few years. It's about a ten minute walk to the convention center. Maybe I'll go again for the final three years. I'll miss the t-shirts, badges, and costumes that dominate the area every year.

The greatest annual event in Baltimore. Crying or Very sad
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:14 am Reply with quote
Marcus Carr wrote:
I live in downtown Baltimore and I haven't gone in a few years. It's about a ten minute walk to the convention center.

And you're posting on this board? There's a story behind that one.
DatOneGuy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:51 am Reply with quote
I don't know what the specs are for ComiCon or the convention center they use, but I hope Otakon does not get to ComiCon levels of expansion. From all the stories I hear, particularly from Zac and Justin, I have absolutely no interest in going to ComiCon. Just sounds like ComiCon is imploding because of how big its gotten. Even though Otakon is quite big, this year didn't feel crowded to me except for of course the infamous hotel walkways.
domokun1134

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote
This is a welcome change. The BCC is too damn crowded and is on the verge of becoming a safety hazard. Beyond that, Baltimore is a shithole.
darcerin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I work in DC, and I ride past the convention center every day. The area is decent, and the convention center is huge. If you don't want to go out to eat every night during the con, there is a Safeway nearby, housed in an apartment complex. The convention center is nowhere near San Diego's size, but I can definitely see Otakon spreading out there comfortably. I'm actually shocked that they're leaving Baltimore, but I'm glad to see that THEY see the problems the BCC is having in terms of space for Otakon.

I honestly hope Otakon doesn't turn into SDCC. I went to SDCC 5-6 years ago and that was an utter nightmare. I can't imagine what it's like now. I think eventually a cap needs to be put on Otakon, for safety reasons. I think it's been 10 years since the last Otakon I went to, because it was so large, even back then.
Raneth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:16 pm Reply with quote
This is a good choice for Otakon, but it does make me a little sad, especially after all the "Baltimore Welcomes Otakon! Baltimore loves Otakon!" signs all over the harbor this year.
WeskerGriff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy about this news. As someone that has been going to Otakon for 10 years now, the BCC is just getting too small. This weekend really showed it too. Baltimore is a great venue but the BCC is just getting too small, and Otakon needs to space. I'm sure this will be a big blow to Baltimore's revenue but if they want Otakon back, they should expand the BCC.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Expansion does not mean Otakon is in any danger of becoming the SDCC.

As long as the Otakon board and members have a clear vision of what Otakon is supposed to be, then it can grow and grow with no danger of losing what it is.

Room to expand can allow for many new things and benefits to the membership. There are always dangers on the horizon, but if you know they are there, they can be avoided.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Expansion does not mean Otakon is in any danger of becoming the SDCC.

Exactly, Otakon is growing but it is nowhere near SDCC attendance numbers and I doubt it will ever be.

Heck AX is bigger than Otakon and they aren't at SDCC levels.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3