• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Play to Shut Down

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Air Bike Cop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Oh well, I only went to Media Play to buy PC and console games anyway. The two stores an hour away have been on the decline since the late 1990's. However, their closing will have a major effect on the mall and plazas they are in.

I did notice a lot of games where stolen at these stores, well the displaycases and manuals. But there was no real price difference, maybe two dollars at best.

And who the hell bundles computer games with golf balls?! I could see it coming for the longest time, the stores where kind of dated.
Lady Tygry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Having been an employee at a Media Play for over five years now, I feel I should clear up a few things. The stores DID turn a profit this year: most if not all, had been remodeled and had additional work put into them. A million or so was spent on radio ads and Musicland had spent a good deal of money on some virtual reality gizmo that would sit at the front of stores later this year. If you've ever seen Pretty Woman, that's a little closer to what's happening with the stores now: Sun Capital Partners Inc. tried to do something with the company, drove it into the ground instead, took the profits made over this past Thanksgiving and are bailing out. It's sad but it happens. The discount stores like Wal*Mart, online shopping and piracy are contributors but they are not the initial reason for the chain's liquidation.
We have four stores in our district and only one did little business. My own store won the national competition between the chain for most widely-attended and profitable anime club.
Anyway, ignore what you've seen as far as details go from the media. Managers are NOT receiving severence packages (their vacation time is their severence) so don't be surprised if the employees you might know take off soon; the sale is currently 10-40%, probably not dropping until after the 25th where you will get up to 80% off the tag price (not the list). Everything is for sale, btw. That includes the shelving, the giant Master Chief most stores have and any furniture in the lounge section. Some papers are wrongly stating that you can get your giftcards refunded which is not true. They may be redeemed and nothing more. Employees are due in for inventory checks early Friday morning. To the best of my knowledge, nothing will be shipped to new locations (save a few lost cause items) and the liquidators will weed out employees as needed after New Year's until the store is barren.

Good luck to any bargain hunters;)
Air Bike Cop

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'm going to say all the stores are bad, but the ones an hour away where lacking. Who still has ads for Mortal Kombat 2 for SNES and Sonic and Kunckles up on the walls? These stores did, and they where never remodeled. For those wondering, these stores where in the Syracuse, New York area. I already cleaned them out the last time I was there, so no good deals for me.

I hope you and other Media Play employees find jobs. I will miss them, but some things going on at the stores recently where odd. I could sense their closing.

It was pretty sad when I was looking at a PC game, and it slipped out of my hands, and the thud was the only noise in the entire sotre.
Lady Tygry

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Thanks but job-wise, I'm not really being affected. Media Play has been my spending-cash job for almost a year now ever since I took on a full-time position at a PetSmart. With college taking priority, I was really only there for a few hours/week and had picked up my usual holiday full-time this month. I worry only for the older managers (60+) but anyone with a decent amount of retail experience should have no trouble finding a new job. Not in January-- but eventually. Most are optimistic.

KD
ananda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:55 am Reply with quote
So you guys are saying that ALL Media Play stores are going to close?!?... or does it only affect some of them?

I'm guessing there are going to have a big Sale or something.
Absurd Hero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:07 am Reply with quote
Yes, all of them are closing. We're not sure if any will be turned into Sam Goody or what have you, but the closeout sales have already begun. According to Lady Tygry, who was awesome for sharing this tidbit, it's going to be 80% off the tag price after Christmas.
Lady Tygry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:40 pm Reply with quote
^^
At some point anyway. The liquidators set the prices depending on how sales are doing and I think that applies to each district as a whole rather than the entire chain. I could be wrong. For example, the DVDs in the Columbus district Media Plays are rumored to be at 30% starting on the 21st (that's what I overheard anyway from our liquidator) but I don't know if that's true for all of them. I would hope so because these deals still aren't great. I would guesstimate that the prices will be closer to 40-60% after the 26th and not hit the full amount until the last couple weeks in January. Keep your ears open and give the stores in the area a call every few days (Sundays mainly) for price changes, though with these liquidators, I wouldn't expect a lot in the way of common sense. I'm done a week from Friday so beyond then, I'll be as uninformed as the customers.
Darialan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:19 pm Reply with quote
That's a load of crap that Sam Goody will not be affected. Ours shut down. I tried calling to check up on my application and they're number was unavailable, call wouldn't go through. My mom went by today. Totally empty! Makes me really mad, because I loves just browsing the store. Thank god my gift card was good online.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3