• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence Dub Actors

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:59 pm Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:
Kusanagi-Kei wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
batou in the 1st one was richarad cox

Correction. It was Richard George, not Richard Cox.
Thus
Steventheeunuch wrote:
Because he used Aliaseseseseses.

no, he didn't use aliases, because it was a completely different person.
Richard Cox is the dude from Wales, working in Blue Water and Ocean studios. *crap dubs* (Ocean/Blue Water that is) Laughing
There's a big difference there.

I've read this post a couple times now and I still don't know exactly what you're saying.

That Richard George isn't Batou? That Richard Cox is in Canada, is the voice of InuYasha, and couldn't have anything less to do with GitS? I'm not sure here. Help a brotha out.

You have a hard time figuring out what I said there? *sigh*
What I am saying is that jr0904 mistook Richard Cox as being the first voice actor for Batou in GitS Movie (1). So... I corrected him and said that it wasn't Richard Cox who voiced Batou in GitS Movie (1), but it was Richard George.

Steventheenuch then replied and said that Richard George was using an alias, which was wrong, because Richard Cox isn't an alias of Richard George. They're two different people.

Then I told them who Richard Cox is. He is the Welsh guy who dubs stuff in Ocean and Blue Water studios.
Like you said, he dubbed Inu Yasha (Ocean studios). He wasn't from Canada originally, thus I said Welsh. He's a Welsh dude, and now residing in Canada I believe.

So you see it wasn't really that difficult figuring it out. I simply corrected jr0904 and Steventheeunuch's statements there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
TheVileOne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:36 am Reply with quote
Basically:

Cox = Inuyasha

Epcar = Batou

How's that?
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:11 am Reply with quote
TheVileOne wrote:
Basically:

Cox = Inuyasha

Epcar = Batou

How's that?

Yeah, although I was going through a lot of correcting of the other people's statements.

To be more thorough:
R. Cox = Inu Yasha
R. George = Batou from 1st GitS movie
R. Epcar = Batou from GitS SAC and 2nd movie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
totalgeek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:01 am Reply with quote
Kusanagi-Kei wrote:
TheVileOne wrote:
Basically:

Cox = Inuyasha

Epcar = Batou

How's that?

Yeah, although I was going through a lot of correcting of the other people's statements.

To be more thorough:
R. Cox = Inu Yasha

To be even MORE thorough:

R. George = R. Epcar = Batou from GITS, GITS: SAC, and GITS2

As proof, here is his encyclopedia entry from ANN.
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:12 pm Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:

Haha. Nicely put. Smile
Traxan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:15 pm Reply with quote
totalgeek wrote:

To be more thorough:
R. Cox = Inu Yasha

As proof, here is his encyclopedia entry from ANN.[/quote]

Have people been using their iPods too much? Gone tone deaf? Epcar's baritone is distinctive as hell and easily recognizable. How can you NOT tell it's him in GITS and SAC?
pearlslam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Here is a question for you, in the US release(dreamworks, if anyone is wondering since that is what I got), I can not get a hold of the DUB cast. I like my anime dubbed, and not getting the english cast really annoys me. What am I doing wrong?
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:01 pm Reply with quote
pearlslam wrote:
Here is a question for you, in the US release(dreamworks, if anyone is wondering since that is what I got), I can not get a hold of the DUB cast. I like my anime dubbed, and not getting the english cast really annoys me. What am I doing wrong?

Dreamworks never produced a dub for Millenium Actress or Innocence, so on the R1 American DVD, there is no English dub. The English dub will be available on the Region 2 and 4 (U.K and Australian) PAL releases, as the companies involved had a dub produced for their releases.

Also, properly bilingual (properly subbed, and dubbed) Millenium Actress and Innocence come out in Australia in March. Neato!
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:49 pm Reply with quote
pearlslam wrote:

You are doing nothing wrong. Dreamworks Go Fish (their Foreign/Art Film division) decided to skip a dub on the R1 release of the film, so there is no dub on the disk released in the US and Canada. According to what I heard online (so it may not be completely accurate) Go Fish claimed that Art Film fans (and they classify both Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence and Millennium Actress as Art Films) do not like dubs so they didn't dub the films. Many anime fans (myself included) don't quite buy this line and figure what really happened is that Go Fish was just too cheap to pay for a dub.

Now both Ghost in the Shell 2 and Millennium Actress are owned by Manga and they have the rights to the films outside of R1. So when it came time to release both films this year in R2/R4 (R2 = U.K. - R4 = Australia and New Zealand), MangaUK (the division that covers the UK) decided to dub both films, which is what lead to this topic. As things currently stand, if you want to get the dub of Ghost in the Shell 2 you'll have to import the disk from a R2 Country in February or R4 Country in March to hear it, as well as have a DVD player that can play PAL (all the English speaking countries involved here use PAL format over the U.S./Candian format of NTSC) and the disk region involved (aka, you'll have to have a DVD player that can be region hacked, because US DVD players aren't suppose to play any region but R1 (but most do - it's a long story and too OT to go into here)).

So will Go Fish ever put out the R1 dub for Ghost in the Shell 2? Only time will tell but there are things going even as I write this that could effect the situation. If this was left up to Dreamworks/Go Fish, I would say "most likely no" to them ever putting out a English dub. However, Go Fish has this film via Manga, so if and/or when Go Fish's contract is over for the film it would be possible that Manga might put the dubs out on their own. However, no one is sure when Go Fish's contract is up.

Then there is another issue looming over all of this. Dreamworks is in the middle of being sold to Paramount. What I've not heard/read is whether all of Dreamworks is being sold to Paramount or if it's being broken up and different parts are being sold to Paramount. So Go Fish may be being bought by Paramount or it may not be. If Go Fish is bought by Paramount, then several things could happen. The two Anime movies may be absorbed into Paramounts catalog or the rights may revert back to Manga. Both options could be a blessing or curse, mattering on how things go.

First Option - Go Fish isn't part of the sale. I think this is unlikely but if it isn't sold, then nothing is likely to change and we probably won't be seeing a dubbed version of either film until their contract with Manga expires.

Second Option - Go Fish is part of the sale. That leads to sub-options. One sub-opition would be if Paramount gets the films they might put the films back out, with or without a dub. However, another sub-option would be Paramount could hold the films in limbo until the contract they gained via the sale expires. That would mean the films would not be available to buy after existing supply is exausted and that we might not see the films available for years in any format. One would hope Paramount wouldn't do something like that but similar things have occured over the years with all the major US studios so it can't be ruled out as something that could happen.

Third Sub-opition - Manga has a contract with Go Fish that has clauses that would go into effect if Go Fish where to ever be sold - either by Dreamworks or if Dreamworks was to be sold to another studio. Because sub-option #2 has happened in the past, many companies (via their lawyers) have realized that they need to be protected from issues like this and have clauses written into their licencing contracts. These clauses might do anything from making any company that buys Go Fish and/or Dreamworks re-negotiate the original contract to ending the original contract and allowing the original right owners to get back their rights, among other things. Now I believe both films are licenced and weren't co-produced by Go-Fish, so sub-option #3 could come into play here. However, if I'm mis-informed and Go Fish does actually own a piece of the movie, then this sub-option isn't going to come into play, though other contract clauses might.

Anyway, the entire situation with Dreamworks getting sold is not helping anyone figure out what might happen. Until that particular situation clears up it is going to be hard to tell what is going to happen with Ghost in the Shell 2 getting a re-release with a dub (or even without a dub but fixed subtitles) but I'm interested to see how it all turns out.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:17 pm Reply with quote
IanC wrote:
Traxan wrote:
So the real question is WHEN does it come out?

February in the UK, don't know about AUS
06/Feb/ 2006 to be exact, barring any unforseen delays.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3