• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overrated and underrated anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DevilMan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 1:13 pm Reply with quote
DevilMan wrote:
Overrated:
Evangelion
Noir
Fushigi Yugi
Saiyuki

Underrated:
Patlabor
Fist of the North Star
Shin Getter Robo
Brain Powered
Hakkenden

I should probably explain my pics.

Overrated
Evangelion: The fact that this show has so many deep roots and then has fanservice every episode is a real turn off. Plus, some of the fight are a grim reminder of those old sentai shows.

Noir: I don't know what it is. Something just didn't click with me on this title. I have heard it's gathered a lot of fans, but the personality of the two girls seem a bit predictable. Had this show been more than just uninteresting girls with guns, I would have liked it more.

Fushigi Yugi: WAY too lovey dovey. Enough to make Sailor Moon fans barf.

Saiyuki: I don't know if it's overrated, but it doesn't deserve to be. This is a very fanboyish retelling of Journey to the West which should turn off a lot of people.

Underrated
Patlabor: Bearly anybody knows about this show and it's soooo good. It's one of the most well-executed mecha shows I will ever see in both it's series and movies.

Fist of the North Star: Face it. We need macho anime. Otherwise it would all be like Noir and Steel Angel Kurumi. How could you not enjoy watching some 80's punk's head explode?

Shin Getter Robo: This has got to be the most violent and action-packed mecha anime out there and a lot of people are missing out on it. Sure, there might not be much plot, but this was the style of the 1970's from which it is based on.

Brain Powered: Okay, the plot may not be the best, but the mecha and the music are to die for. Anyone who bad mouths Yoko Kanno doesn't love anime music.

Hakkenden: Probably one of my favorite samurai anime series out there. It may not have the best animation in some parts, but it is worth watching.
Kagato

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Another underrated would have to be Dual.
Laughing Hyena

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 4:31 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm going to have to explain my opinions too:

Overrated:
DBZ
I watched Dragonball and Dragonball Z before they even aired on Cartoon Network. Dragonball did not, let me tell you, introduced me to anime.
In fact at a early age I knew some animation was different, so what brought me into anime? Unico, Robotech, and Voltron.
It was on CN after awhile that I grew disenfranchised with both Sailor Moon (watched because of my younger sister) and DBZ. I thought that these were not the shows for me. And anywhere you go, you will find crazy DBZ fans who will cuss you out if you don't show an interest in DBZ.

Anything made by Clamp
I KNEW someone was going to be pissed as soon as I mentioned Clamp and the response shows that it is overrated. Most of the threads in the Manga section in Anime Nation's forums is nothing but Clamp's manga. My younger sister talks nothing but Clamp's series. She forces me to watch X (she also forces me to watch the Never Ending Chinese Soap Opera Story aka Fushigi Yugi, blah) with her and all that stuff. I watch, but I do so with a bored look. I'm different from most anime female fans and it shows, I just don't like Clamp's style.

Evangelion
Same reason as everybody else, I'm just not interested in it and I don't think Evangelion is some sort of god.

Trigun
ARGH! I don't think I need to explain.

Cowboy Bebop
Same reason as everybody else, but I still enjoyed it as a series.

Underrated:
Outlaw Star
Hardly anyone talks about Outlaw Star anymore. It's like it's bad or evil to like Outlaw Star these days because of Cowboy Bebop. Yeah, sure Cowboy Bebop was great in all, but Outlaw Star was fun and witty. I often found myself shouting at the TV when I first saw it on it's second run, and this is coming from a person who looked the other way around when it first aired on CN. It's great to see it uncut on DVD too.

KO Century Beast
This OVA series is great. If you like Puns and Slapstick humor (note that Akahori and Itoh worked on this), it's fricking funny. But so far only a few people know about this series. Thankfully Right Stuf's (RS's staff also enjoys it alot and the reason they picked it up) DVD releases might get this series the fanbase it deserves.

Ryu Knight
Again, it's like no one in American knows what Ryu Knight is. You will find fans, but they happen to be scatted on the net. In Japan, it's got a good solid fanbase there. I don't know how many Japanese Ryu Knight fanart sites there are, but its alot.

Hakkenden
I enjoyed this alot. But how many people talk about it? Also we were really lucky to get Hakkenden on DVD from Pioneer from a fan who kept bugging them. When people ask about Samurai anime, I try to point them to Hakkenden as good anime to look into.

Night of the Galactic Railroad
It may seem boring at first, but it had me in tears near the end. Yet another anime movie no one seems to talk about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:31 am Reply with quote
DevilMan wrote:
Plus, some of the fight are a grim reminder of those old sentai shows.

Heh, you say that about Eva, and then list Patlabor, Brain Powered, and, of all things, Shin Getter Robo? I agree with your lists to an extent, don't get me wrong, I listed Eva too, but I don't get that part. What part about the fights in those 3 differ from Eva? All 4 feature giant robots fighting giant monsterous robots, all of them have brightly colored good guys. Heck, if anything is a sentai show it's Shin Getter Robo with it's giant, multi-function, interchangable robots, only thing this series doesn't have is the oversized enemy de jour which it's earlier versions did have.

Eh, I'm getting wordy, I'm just curious what the explenation is.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:00 am Reply with quote
Amused Observer: My problem with CLAMP is my problem with today's anime in general: Generic, but pretty to look at.

Hyena: I only started hating Outlaw Star when the cat girl joins the crew.
Louie-kun

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Underated: City Hunter.

It's a funny show with tons of action. I'm glad ADV is finally releasing the tv series. Anyone else like this show?
Amused Observer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:48 pm Reply with quote
*rolls up sleeves*

ok, Gatsu. Please tell me how Cardcaptor (for example) is "generic." Rolling Eyes
Laughing Hyena

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh well Gatsu, it's your opinion. Besides I'm not much of a fan of Aisha either, that's why I thank to god that in the Outlaw Star manga she's only a minor character.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Coral Skipper

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Gundam Wing is overrated, but underrated at the same time. Allow me to explain, among people whose only acces to anime is the stuff they see on T.V it is highly overrated. They seem to think that is the first gundam and don't give the original a chance because of its relativly bad animation, why do you think First Gundam had such a bad runon Cartoon Network. It is underrated by Otaku because many are Universal Century or nothing. I admit it doesn't hold a candle compared to the original and is basically Universal Century in 52 episodes, but for pure mindless entertainment it is hard to beat.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Amused Observer: CCS is just Yu Gi Oh with gay relationships. Really, just because you make a lead character gay, people think it's innovative. (Fake's just an ordinary cop series, but OMG he sucks loves the c*ck(KAWAIII), so it's thought-provoking!) Speaking of CCS, is anyone aware of the irony of complaining about the WB making Li the lead character when CLAMP is doing the same thing in their sequel?
OneAnimeFan

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:01 am Reply with quote
Jlbkwrm wrote:

Azumanga Daioh is shaping up to be a fitting successor to the hype. It looks decent, but word of mouth makes it sound like the One True Savior of anime.

I saw Azumanga Daioh at AnimeUSA last year. It really is a wonderful anime with a good premise. It's very funny but has some touching moments as well. I think the good word of mouth is quite justified.

Over rated animes:
Dragonball Z - I will never understand what people see in it.

Under rated animes:
Classics like SpeedRacer & Starblazers.
Alot of people don't even consider these anime!
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Under rated: Anything by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko! Yas is my hero, yet except for Gundam, most of his projects are forgotten to the Western public. Giant Gorg is one of my all time favorites, despite the fact that there are no books or merchandise for the series except for I believe a couple toys. The Venus Wars Manga was really cool, and Arion had some great animation, plus Hisaishi does the music for both movies.
Although not as forgotten (or just more recent) is Boogiepop Phantom. This series made a very small splash in both the US and Japan, but I enjoyed it at least as much as I enjoyed Lain.
Legato 2057

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:24 am Reply with quote
Underated:

Daiguard:
Despite being one of the best Giant Robot series I have seen, it gets very little hype. Newtype has full page spread this month, but thats the most I've ever seen on it. Is has great animation and CG elements while at the same time it brings a new (and hilarious) spin on the financial aspects of supporting a giant robot. The characters are pretty standard, but it very enjoyable

Battle Athletes Victory:
This show has been one of my favorites for quite a while. It is a great example of showing what some one can accomplish if they put their mind to it. Not to mention that is extremely funny.

Reign the Conquerer:
This show has great animation and a very enjoyable and adult storyline. I think a lot of people are turned off by Peter Chung's style and are thrown off and don't give it a shot.

Overrated:

Spriggan:
This movie was filled with so many cliches(?) that is just became boring. As my friend said about half way thru: "Whats the point in this?"

X the TV series:
After seeing the movie with its amazing animation, and reading some of the manga, the series did absolutely nothig for me. What was the point? You allready know how the show is going to end?
king_micah

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:35 am Reply with quote
On Spriggan: When you're with a fangirl and are able to put up with her love of shonnen ai *shudder*, you can here alot about this series. The manga is fantastic, and has a great backplot, with interesting elements. This movie suffers from classice adaptation syndrome. It's too short and must remake it and cater to fans at the same time.

I feel Gundam is overated, it has some influence, but has become a bloated marketing machine.

Most of the rest suffer from over exposure. Inu Yasha is good and all, but I get sick hearing about. I take it from reading previous messages thats why many people dislike Eva. I would disagree that it is over-hyped, just over exposed by too many n00bs who don't get it. Eva is very cerebral and dark, thus will turn off alot of people, and also uses giant robo as a vehicle that will turn off more. So I am not surprised at the response, just disagree.
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:19 am Reply with quote
Laughing Hyena wrote:
Overrated:
DBZ
Anything made by Clamp

Evangelion
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop

Underrated:
Outlaw Star
KO Century Beast
(That might change on how received Right Stuf's DVD releases go.)
Ryu Knight
Hakkenden
Night of the Galactic Railroad

Don't get me wrong, I happen to like CB but even I know it's overrated. The others that are Overrated in my list, I happen to not like.

Outlaw Star's underrated? that's news to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9