• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Article on Anime Bootlegs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's a justification that Roger Morse knows too well.

Is the article referring to Republican Roger Morse? If so, what does he have to do with this article?
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:28 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Quote:

Is the article referring to Republican Roger Morse? If so, what does he have to do with this article?

I'm curious. Is that question a joke or did you actually read the article? Roger Morse is the owner of the legit anime shop referred to in the article.
Vantos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:34 am Reply with quote
Man, I really feel sorry for Morse.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:05 am Reply with quote
A few comments:

-- Bootleggers are scum. So he thinks he's "providing a service"? Ironic that a bootlegger would use that phrase, considering that the original bootleggers, Al Capone and his ilk, used the exact same justification.

-- I'm also pushing 40. I disagree with my contemporary about bootlegs. We don't need them. This isn't 1990. Anime is not hard to find. So how do you get your fix of Some Obscure Anime? You don't. You get something else. (Or if you can't drop your obsession with the obscure, at least download it and burn your own DVD. Don't keep a bootlegger in business.)

-- Fans can do little to stop this. Oh sure, you can personally refuse to buy from bootleggers. But there's no fighting human nature. If someone offers a product no one else has at a ridiculously cheap price, enough people will buy it to keep that someone is business. Some buyers will find ways to rationalize their decision. Others simply won't care.

No, the only hope is for the rights holders to get involved. Unfortunately, we're unlikely to see much action, because as much as we hate these guys, they don't threaten the anime industry as a whole as much as we think. Anime is mainstream now. The vast majority of anime is purchased through retailers like Best Buy, Suncoast, and Amazon, by people who aren't more than casually involved in fandom.

------RM
Strategos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:17 am Reply with quote
I want to stab that Henderson guy in the leg...with a knife even.
Area88

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:31 am Reply with quote
God i hate bootlegs. I wish more could be done legally to stop them. The fact they're so freely available is the biggest problem.

Just look at Animecastle, they're advertised on this site constantly yet they stock hundreds of HK anime bootlegs - dvds and cds.

Overall the Anime industry is losing the war against piracy and in my opinion is the main contributor to the so called 'market saturation'.
thebaron

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:43 am Reply with quote
Low prices make the products walk and overpriced stuff don't as much. Not to say that the company who paid for the rights should not make money, but I remember when japanese import cds were $30-35 range and the bootlegs were $15-18....
hikaru004

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote
@BuffaloStyle: Thanks for the info. That line makes better sense now. However, the legit shop owner's first name is not mentioned in the article after the line that I quoted, unlike Henderson who got a full intro.

It seemed to me that the writer was profiling the bootleg selling person more favorably over the legit store owner.

Do you think that the FBI didn't do anything because anime is not high profile enough like Hollywood products?
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Quote:

No, I'm not a Republican Razz
anime_man01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
-- Fans can do little to stop this. Oh sure, you can personally refuse to buy from bootleggers. But there's no fighting human nature. If someone offers a product no one else has at a ridiculously cheap price, enough people will buy it to keep that someone is business. Some buyers will find ways to rationalize their decision. Others simply won't care.

No, the only hope is for the rights holders to get involved. Unfortunately, we're unlikely to see much action, because as much as we hate these guys, they don't threaten the anime industry as a whole as much as we think. Anime is mainstream now. The vast majority of anime is purchased through retailers like Best Buy, Suncoast, and Amazon, by people who aren't more than casually involved in fandom.

very true..

i personally buy from little shops/stores if possible as that keeps the dreams of having/running your own business for the store owners alive with my support..

Quote:
I'm also pushing 40. I disagree with my contemporary about bootlegs.

i took that post with more than a grain of salt...

im personally nearing 30 and am still not in agreement with it..

i also grew up with voltron and the like and still remember the anime from the 80s..

ugh........
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote
animeolddude wrote:

so stop bashing bootleg anime stuff...if it was not for bootleg there wont be a anime industry here in the US. I am rather astonish now how fast things get here in a ligit way. major anime series you can now get it here fast within a few month but as again for the real hard core fans or the asian kids looking to fill their needs bootleg is always there.

Um, we *NEVER* bought bootlegs, and we are in the midwest, with only one Japanese grocery in the metro area. We went to anime clubs and make connections to get copies and we traded tapes with people locally and nationally. So in the strictest sense, we were pirating them, but we never bought or sold those copies. If you did, you were shunned. And the highest achievement you could get was to actually buy a Japanese laserdisc, even if you didn't have a player.
anime_man01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote
there it is, its still technically piracy, but the motives are pure...

but to sell is a malicious act against legitimate business owners..

[No creepy stalker penguin sigs. -Nagi]
beelzebozo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:06 pm Reply with quote
BuffaloStyle wrote:

The only thing legal that he sells is manga. Of course, you still have the best selection of manga in town, beezlebozo.

Well, I try, but here's another problem. He's making enough money off the bootlegs that he's selling his graphic novels well under cover price. I've considered dropping the price a little bit just to entice people into the shop, but I can't manage as much as he does without slitting my throat. For the moment, I offer a frequent manga buyer's card, to encourage return visits. I need the manga's higher profit margin to make up for the lesser profits from DVDs, especially since I have to sell them under SRP in order to at least look competitive.

If the anime companies really want to help us small stores out, especially now that larger venues like Media Play are out of the picture, they should print the SRP on the DVD covers like they do for the graphic novels. People don't argue about book prices (usually) because the price is printed right on the cover. If they could see what the SRP is, they might appreciate it when small stores like us take a couple bucks off.

thanks for all the support. But the best support you can give outside of not buying bootlegs is to get the government into the act. Call US Customs, Call the FBI, Call the MPAA. THERE ARE CRIMINAL LAWS AGAINST THIS! This isn't just about protecting intellectual rights, it's also about consumer protection and truth in advertising.
tlsmith1963

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I wish we even *had* two anime stores around here! I have never seen any. Does anyone know if there are anime stores in the San Diego area?

Tammy
LanaChan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I've been an anime fan for many years. The vast majority of my collection is legit releases by the American companies. I will admit I do have a few HK bootlegs & I do think there are places & responsible uses for them in the market.

1) A show has not been picked up for release in America- Okay, I don't speak Japanese. If I've heard about a show, want to see it I will buy the HK DVDs. If I like it, when it gets picked up for release here, I will buy the legit. Good example- Yu Yu Hakusho. I had no idea that the series would *EVER* be picked up. So I bought HK DVDs, Engrish subs & all. Now it is released here & I will be buying it because it was done really well!

2) American company is releasing dub only- A prime example of this is occuring right now. Naruto is being released dub only. I don't have a problem with the dub. I watch it. But I will *not* buy it, I want to see the original uncut Japanese language version, so HK DVDs will have to do. If & when there is a Naruto DVD here, uncut with a Japanese language track, I'll cash out.

3) American company is releasing craptacular subs- Good example of this? Yu-Gi-Oh. I was so excited to hear they were releasing an unedited version with the Japanese language track. I preordered it. I watched it.

... the subtitles were dubtitles. I might not have noticed, but one of the characters (Pegasas) has lines that are DISTINCTLY English, so when he's saying one thing & it's titled something *completely* different it's PAINFUL. Between that & my limited knowledge of Japanese, I felt ripped off. So again, HK discs will have to do. Otaku cash out, but we don't cash out for crap & I would rathar deal with Chinese "engrish" subtitles then support American companies doing crapjob on what they release.

Maybe my stand is a bit unusual, but that's my story & I'm sticking to it. I'll support the companies as long as they release quality material & I'm even will to buy something a second time when it is picked up here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7