• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Operation Podcast Drop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 2:46 am Reply with quote
Zac, you're right, irrationally not likeing something is... not liking snything made after 1995. Like that jacka** on the show.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:29 am Reply with quote
You know, "Magica" is not pronounced like english "magic" with an "a" at the end. But with a hard "g" as in "good" (マギカ). And the "a" is the same as in "Madoka". Same for the ending song's title "Magia".

Maybe it's obvious for me, because of the Katakana spelling, but it just surprised me that apparently a lot of people are pronouncing this wrongly oO
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:32 am Reply with quote
Being a bully is not really defined by your own self image. The typical bully does not remember having had victims, only having had fun. It's the subject of the bullying that has to deal with the memory of having been bullied. Like when a cat is even only playing with a mouse, it never occurs to the cat that the mouse is scared to death.

Calling anything anyone says S#!T might be considered tongue in cheek. I could see using it on something clearly cool, outrageous or truly awful but if it's directed at someone's frailties or vulnerabilities it's hard to see it in a positive light. I think the 'we have to link to it to prove it's real' is lame. Since when is reality the measure of entertainment, you're talking about anime, which is largely fiction. OH NO COGNITIVE DISSONANCE.
Wink

That being said, I think these guys do have some charm. I just think 'if you're going to be a dick then be a dick' and own it. Also, if you do accept that you can go too far then own that, too.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 6:51 am Reply with quote
Somewhere in the back of my mind, I thought they're going to use Random Curiosity as an example.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 7:14 am Reply with quote
You guys are massive trolls. And I love you for that. Some chaos is always necessary for a healthy community. Not that the anime 'blagosphere' is particular healthy to begin with.

I irrationally dislike Cowboy Bebop. And get this: I have never and will never watch EVA because it sucks. Also, all shows from the eighties suck. Except for Lupin the Third. And the green coat was better than the red coat. Also, all mecha shows suck, just on general principal.

And I have this same problem with anti-intellectualism. And since I quickly realized that these people are fricken retarded and I stopped caring about what they thought, and just resorted to trolling Type B Otaku on Sankaku.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:05 am Reply with quote
because nothing says Intellectual like being a troll on the internet.
rti9

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:19 am Reply with quote
TokyoGetter wrote:
Meh. You read /m/ = you read Colony Drop.

That explains a lot. While listening, I couldn't help but think that they sound exactly like the people who post on 4chan.

The most interesting part of this podcast was what Zac said about the viewers watching shows with a checklist of what pleases them. It's an illusion to think you know exactly what you want.
SoandSo

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:23 am Reply with quote
Trolling equals dissent. Rude equals not nice.

Christ, some of you commenters.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:30 am Reply with quote
But guys Astarotte's Toy is a great show! But seriouslly this was an "intresting" podcast. I was also writeing reviews while listining to this and some of the stuff said made me wince while I wrote. But overall Colony Drop seemed like the audio version of 4-Chan

Last edited by Parsifal24 on Fri May 06, 2011 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:32 am Reply with quote
I visit Colony Drop every now and then and read a couple of articles, but I don't really remember anything being really offensive (maybe I'm not reading the right articles). I only remember the Danny Choo hating post being insulting, but most people seem to hate him so it didn't really stand out back when I read it.

I've been to SOS but I didn't really find it that funny. It's kind of painful to read/see people making fools of themselves though so I haven't visited since.

I follow a lot of anime blogs, and I think they are quite aware of the whole 'circle jerk' aspect to what they're doing, they just don't care (the whole aniblog tourney thing was a bit too much though I think...). I like going to read what other people think about an episode after I've watched it, people often pick up on different/more things than me. Some bloggers also have quite a humorous way of writing. Reading comments is also quite fun. Especially for stuff like Madoka/Star Driver.

The whole 'you insult a show I like, you insult me!' attitude seems to me to be present more in forums than the blogosphere.

I was impressed that the Colony Drop people managed to get through an entire podcast based on complaints on the anime blogosphere without naming a single blog. I guess that they're not that mean if they're not going to single anyone out? (Not that I wanted them to)
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:46 am Reply with quote
I am not a huge fan of the Colony drop. I don't like a lot negativity in my life (with that in mind why am I even visiting this forum).

I don't like trolls. They just make things worse.

Quote:

Calling anything anyone says S#!T might be considered tongue in cheek. I could see using it on something clearly cool, outrageous or truly awful but if it's directed at someone's frailties or vulnerabilities it's hard to see it in a positive light. I think the 'we have to link to it to prove it's real' is lame. Since when is reality the measure of entertainment, you're talking about anime, which is largely fiction. OH NO COGNITIVE DISSONANCE.

I do agree that it is lame. People say stupid stuff all the time, why can't we just let them alone.

Quote:
But guys Astarotte's Toy is a great show!

It is a good show, people just can't get past the potential loli element.

Quote:
I follow a lot of anime blogs, and I think they are quite aware of the whole 'circle jerk' aspect to what they're doing, they just don't care

I think there is some potential for that. Being a writer on a blog, I cannot say that I haven't engaged in this type of stuff with other blogs. It doesn't bother me that this happens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 9:56 am Reply with quote
Damn, all these comments about hilarious jackassery makes me pumped to get home for I can actually listen to this thing. Good deal, peepz. Laughing
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Damn, all these comments about hilarious jackassery makes me pumped to get home for I can actually listen to this thing. Good deal, peepz. Laughing

Trust me it's not that exciting, it's mostly just Zac and these guys talking about blogs. I listened to it for a little while then just skipped to the twitter section.

It's just that Colony Drop apparently has a reputation. If you want Zac and the Colony Drop crew to make witty and scathing remarks about blogs that doesn't happen.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote
Maybe its because I wasn't real keen on literature classes in high school (or my brain is slowly turning to mush) I never really had the chops to successfully "intellectually" explain why I like something. I tend to just wing it, since it seems to me that people don't start being intellectual about their likes and dislikes until someone comes in to a discussion with the inability to just take things as they are. I don't think I need to explain why I like certain things in form of a ten page dissertation on quality or lack thereof. If I think Getter Robo Armageddon is a great show and you demand proof of it, I won't give it up because I frankly don't want to get into heated discussions where the only differring point is taste, the argument is endless.
Spark That Bled

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 10:46 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that Zac mentions the racist connotations of "Japtoons", that word that they keep on insisting that they use, and that the origin of the word was exactly how I imagined it.

"Japtoons" as a phrase has always bothered me, due to the whole usage of a racist term in order to refer to anime, even more so than "Japanimation". It sounds like something a white supremacist would use to refer to anime, and how it is poisoning our white youth and subjugating us to the yellow overlords.

Zac did mention the Akihabara article as well, which I also have a similar problem with because, as Zac neglects to mention, it refers to Akihabara as a "red-light district", apparently equating (to me at least) Japanese anime fan culture with prostitution.

So yeah, I have a lot of problems with Colony Drop, beside Sean's foaming rants about the current state of the Japanese animation industry. As you can see...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9