• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ICv2: Funimation CEO is Most Powerful

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
schizosmurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:26 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

* Showing a series that some/many/whatever believe is hampering more anime to get onto [adult swim] (Cowboy Bebop).

Cowboy Bebop is till one of their highest rated shows. Why would they take it off the air to replace it with an show that may or may not do as well. They'll continue milking it as long as proves fruitful. Same as they have done with Futurama, showing the same shows over and over for years.
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

* Manning's vague hatred of Fanservice. If she hates fanservice, why does Eva tout it prominently? And what exactly constitutes "fanservice" in Manning's eyes?

Her opinion on fanservice is just that, her opinion. Everyone is justified to have one. Airing Eva shows that her personnel opinion can be put aside to bring a decent show to the public.
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

* Scheduling anime in sometimes very piss-poor timeslots and conflicting with other shows.

The highest rated shows will always get the best time slots and less popular shows will get stuck in the "piss-poor timeslots". Something has to go there and personally I'm glad its anime instead of some other uselss show.
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

* Advertising budget that hypes a stupid sprite comic more than anime.

I guess I missed that, so no comment.
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

* Possible mismanagement of Anime. How the hell can you show two series that never fit into [adult swim] (Milk-chan, Conan), and one that never fit anywhere (Gundam SEED)?

Not totally sure what you are trying to say here... Can you elaborate a little more?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:30 am Reply with quote
schizosmurf wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

* Manning's vague hatred of Fanservice. If she hates fanservice, why does Eva tout it prominently? And what exactly constitutes "fanservice" in Manning's eyes?

Her opinion on fanservice is just that, her opinion. Everyone is justified to have one. Airing Eva shows that her personnel opinion can be put aside to bring a decent show to the public.

I was of the understanding that it was more an aversion to fanservice that took precedent over the story (Love Hina, for example), as opposed to an aversion to fanservice of all kinds.

In which case, I actually rather applaud the decision.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Area88

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:53 am Reply with quote
I agree with the over exposure of Cowboy Bebop.

Everyone who watchs CN has already seen Cowboy Bebop a million times. It's become over-exposed. It's not like the Simpsons where you can juggle between 400 episodes. Cowboy Bebop only has 26 episodes.

Cowboy Bebop is taking up a vital time slot which could be used to expose another just as worthy anime series.

So please axe Cowboy Bebop even if it's just for a few months so we can give other series a chance.
God Gundam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:24 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
How the hell can you show two series that never fit into [adult swim] (Milk-chan, Conan), and one that never fit anywhere (Gundam SEED)?

Adult Swim never showed Gundam SEED. First it was on Toonami, then it moved to late-night CN on Fridays, when AS does not air. Get your facts straight.
Steve007101

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:40 am Reply with quote
Well we can all have gripes about what Adult Swim does but hey, to quote Wyvern you don't know the details of how things happen behind the scenes and neither do I. This is a statement that apparently can be used so many times in these discussions: They're a company. It's alright if you have gripes, that's natural, but just remember that they're not stupid, they're trying to do business. Ultimately they can't afford to be stupid so they do what works and we don't know all the details.

And since when was Gundam Seed such a bad anime in the first place? The dub, perhaps, but I personally consider it one of my favorites, the sequal blew in comparison though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
irishninja

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote
Steve007101 wrote:
Ultimately they can't afford to be stupid so they do what works and we don't know all the details.

Heh. Companies do stupid things all the time. They're run by humans, after all, and humans are infinitely fallible. The difference is: successful companies learn from their mistakes, while failed companies do not. Actually, even that is a gross over-generalization. Some companies succeed or fail because of factors outside their control (sometimes referred to as "luck").

Anyway, I actually agree with the point you're making; just pointing out what ultimately is semantics. Wink

And as a final thought in support of what you were saying: The ultimate arbiter of what is "smart" and what is "stupid" in business is the all-mighty dollar. If a company turns a profit, it is a smart company. It's pretty much as simple as that. Smile
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
It (Adult Swim) is the only reliable way to turn an anime show into a hit in America and Adult Swim calls the shots completely. Anime companies like ADV and Funimation and Bandai try very hard to get their shows on Cartoon Network.

I completely agree with the importance of Manning and do not dispute her place on the list, but I simply cannot agree with this. [as] can make a HUGE difference to titles, but they're not king-makers as: Conan, Lupin, Gundam Seed, Original Gundam, Scryed, etc. all prove. [as] gives a show exposure that they will not get any other way and for that alone, Manning's place is correct (if not deserving to be higher) but [as] more simply gives exposure to titles and it either succeeds or fails from there. By the industry fansub argument (grossly oversimplified, I grant) it may even HURT sales of some titles by letting people see that a show sucks before they might otherwise buy the DVD.

Miyazaki doesn't deserve a place on there at all, at BEST should be #10. Even though his movies are huge hits he puts out at BEST, what? 1 per year? You could argue Shirow (with GitS movies and TV series), Toriyama (just by virtue of MAKING DBZ which still sells games) or Takeuchi (for making SMoon which was responsible for the surge in female interest) all are at least as influential in the scene. Miyazaki should get credit for Spirited Away winning the Oscar which increased the profile of anime somewhat (altho is overstated in terms of "mainstream" notice since "Best Animation" Oscar doesn't mean much beyond the boundaries of enthusiasts) but Howls and everything before Mononoke have all received considerably less acclaim. His impact on the JAPANESE animation industry is without question, but his influence on the AMERICAN anime industry is considerably less profound. I would agree that Lassiter deserves the slot more than Miyazaki, since without him Ghibli doesn't get the exposure it currently enjoys.

I also don't see why [as] didn't just replace Bebop with Champloo, since they're basically the same show. They SHOULD put something else on there instead of Bebop, heck bring back Outlaw Star even, or give SOMETHING else a shot, but Bebop is SO overplayed now. -_-
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 pm Reply with quote
One other thing re: Miyazaki.

He's not "influential" at this stage because he doesn't move the INDUSTRY. Miyazaki is like George Lucas. When Miyazaki was central (like Naussica) his movies were hits AND affected other anime. I think now Miyazaki is like Prequel Lucas. His movies will be hits and make lots of money, but everyone simply expects that and it doesn't really affect what other people are making.

In that sense, his movies are notable, but not influential. Even if you argue they're the best sellers, what does that say? That says Miyazaki can sell, but he doesn't affect the sales of other titles, thus, he doesn't influence the industry as a whole, merely his own title. He also hasn't gotten more anime in theaters (any more so than "Pokemon" or "DBZ") as most anime movies (assuming they GET a theatrical release) are the same arthouse flicks they were before.

I would argue that "the staff of Anime Expo" or "the staff of US anime cons" deserves more of a slot on the list.
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
By the industry fansub argument (grossly oversimplified, I grant) it may even HURT sales of some titles by letting people see that a show sucks before they might otherwise buy the DVD.

How's that? The vast majority of AS viewers are not intimately familiar with the anime scene, and you can't be dissuaded from buying a show that you never knew existed in the first place.
savedbythebell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I completely agree with the importance of Manning and do not dispute her place on the list, but I simply cannot agree with this. [as] can make a HUGE difference to titles, but they're not king-makers as: Conan, Lupin, Gundam Seed, Original Gundam, Scryed, etc. all prove. [as] gives a show exposure that they will not get any other way and for that alone, Manning's place is correct (if not deserving to be higher) but [as] more simply gives exposure to titles and it either succeeds or fails from there. By the industry fansub argument (grossly oversimplified, I grant) it may even HURT sales of some titles by letting people see that a show sucks before they might otherwise buy the DVD.

Gundam Seed never even aired on Adult Swim.
Steve007101

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Well as irishninja pointed out, ultimately companies can't afford to be stupid... or they'll fail, or at least suffer loses over what they have control over.

Quote:
HeeroTX wrote:
By the industry fansub argument (grossly oversimplified, I grant) it may even HURT sales of some titles by letting people see that a show sucks before they might otherwise buy the DVD.

How's that? The vast majority of AS viewers are not intimately familiar with the anime scene, and you can't be dissuaded from buying a show that you never knew existed in the first place.

Uh, well, for the fansub arguement... that may be true to at least a small degree but again, it ultimately comes down to whether or not the anime would or would not have sold in the first place. I mean in the end good shows are going to sell good even if there's a fansub, and bad shows will sell bad whether or not it takes a number of people to buy the DVD or not who haven't already seen the show. It really is a weak arguement to blame fansubs if a show would have blown in sales anyway, it was the company's descision to get that anime so they should have been more aware of the popularity of the show based on the popularity of the fansub.

And JMays makes somewhat of a good point. If a show's on Adult Swim, it's there because they know it will attract people to it and ultimately it will sell better. If no one knows about it, heck, maybe it would help it out if it gets publicity for compaining about the fansubs, who knows. Still aside from that... from the beginning it all depends on whether people like or not and know if it will sell or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:08 pm Reply with quote
schizosmurf wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

* Showing a series that some/many/whatever believe is hampering more anime to get onto [adult swim] (Cowboy Bebop).

Cowboy Bebop is till one of their highest rated shows. Why would they take it off the air to replace it with an show that may or may not do as well. They'll continue milking it as long as proves fruitful. Same as they have done with Futurama, showing the same shows over and over for years.

As stated above this post, 26 episodes of Cowboy Bebop vs. what, 72 episodes for Futurama (and possibly coming back in 2008) and 80 and counting for Family Guy?

Quote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

But when is her personal opinion conflicting with the normal operations and descisions of [adult swim]? I agree that shows like Love Hina and a buncha other boob laden shows would be stupid to air on [adult swim] but where is her theorectical line? I could argue that Burst Angel has minimal emphasis on fanservice than gunplay and is semi-on par with that lack of fanservice emphasis as Eva, despite the fact that Asuka and Rei are fitted in those tight (latex?) suits every other episode.

Quote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

* Advertising budget that hypes a stupid sprite comic more than anime.

I guess I missed that, so no comment.

I could name within the last week how many times Tom Goes to the Mayor gets advertising time. I couldn't even name one instance within the past 3 months where [adult swim] has advertised their anime lineup or an anime show.

God Gundam wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
How the hell can you show two series that never fit into [adult swim] (Milk-chan, Conan), and one that never fit anywhere (Gundam SEED)?

Adult Swim never showed Gundam SEED. First it was on Toonami, then it moved to late-night CN on Fridays, when AS does not air. Get your facts straight.

savedbythebell wrote:

Gundam Seed never even aired on Adult Swim.

Since we're talking about anime on [adult swim], we can't escape the fact that anime elsewhere on CN would be brought up eventually.

One could argue that Toonami is sucessful in airing anime recently because they know how to play it and bank on the built-in fanbase established earlier thru the manga and fansubs. Part of this formula has translated over to Bleach on [adult swim]; I don't see how this could be translated elsewhere and be done with other anime.

Face reality you two and take a course in debate at your local college. It'll help with your debate skills, which are sorely lacking.
Carl Horn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:47 pm Reply with quote
It was Adult Swim's love of FLCL (the ads said "This show will change your life") that convinced me their hearts are in the right place.
Steve007101

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Face reality you two and take a course in debate at your local college. It'll help with your debate skills, which are sorely lacking.

I really wouldn't say that. At most this is a light debate on minor matters with no realy insight into them, mostly opinion, points exchanged in no real organized matter, and no real foundation.

I mean come on, we're talking like we actually know how Adult Swim makes their descisions, we're actually acting like some personal opinion optained who knows how makes a bit difference in their line up or descisions. Unless you can get some actual "evidence" or just real references to why they say they really do anything this will forever be far from a debate.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern:
Quote:
You don't know the details of that deal and neither do I. To assume that it has anything to do with Conan, or that it was Gen's fault (he doesn't do EVERYTHING at the company) or that it was even FUNimation's fault that the deal fell through, is just grasping at straws. If you're going to critisize the man, critisize him for things you can be resonably sure actually happened.

I'm sorry, but you don't blow positive relations with a company which helped you get your first hit(i.e. DBZ) if you didn't do something wrong. Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh were big when they first came out, but their success was short-lived, while DBZ continues to be huge.

Heero:
Quote:
Miyazaki doesn't deserve a place on there at all, at BEST should be #10. Even though his movies are huge hits he puts out at BEST, what? 1 per year? You could argue Shirow (with GitS movies and TV series), Toriyama (just by virtue of MAKING DBZ which still sells games) or Takeuchi (for making SMoon which was responsible for the surge in female interest) all are at least as influential in the scene.

Miyazaki's movies make more than all of them combined. And GITS: SAC is about the only Shirow property which makes money for him in Japan. And Takeuchi hasn't done anything since Sailor Moon.

Quote:
Miyazaki should get credit for Spirited Away winning the Oscar which increased the profile of anime somewhat (altho is overstated in terms of "mainstream" notice since "Best Animation" Oscar doesn't mean much beyond the boundaries of enthusiasts) but Howls and everything before Mononoke have all received considerably less acclaim.

I can agree with Howl, but are you joking about "everything before Mononoke"?

Quote:
I would agree that Lassiter deserves the slot more than Miyazaki, since without him Ghibli doesn't get the exposure it currently enjoys.

Lasseter's only had one hit with Pixar which wasn't a sequel, while Miyazaki has had at least three hits with Ghibli.

Quote:
He's not "influential" at this stage because he doesn't move the INDUSTRY.

Again, are you kidding? Ever since his success, he's convinced studios to cross over to the Western market, which they would have only considered as an after-thought in the past.

Quote:
When Miyazaki was central (like Naussica) his movies were hits AND affected other anime.

So you're saying Advent Children isn't "inspired" by Nausicaa.

Quote:
I think now Miyazaki is like Prequel Lucas. His movies will be hits and make lots of money, but everyone simply expects that and it doesn't really affect what other people are making.

Lucas's support of digital-albeit stupid-is the reason the rest of the reason is adapting it as the norm. You can bet that 3-D(again, stupid) will be next, if the alleged 30th anniversary
re-release of Star Wars in that format proves to be a success.

Quote:
That says Miyazaki can sell, but he doesn't affect the sales of other titles, thus, he doesn't influence the industry as a whole, merely his own title. He also hasn't gotten more anime in theaters (any more so than "Pokemon" or "DBZ")

I don't think today's generation of teens and young adults would be aware of the availability of anime, if it weren't for Mononoke and Kiki. Sure, DBZ and Pokemon were hits in their own right, but mostly to children and the occasional otaku. Miyazaki helped legitimize the genre as something beyond the stereotype of "child porn". Not even Akira and GITS could do that.

Quote:
as most anime movies (assuming they GET a theatrical release) are the same arthouse flicks they were before.

Ten years ago, you'd be lucky if most anime films got a theatrical release at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5