• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Manga Has 300 Million Copies in Print

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Ginsan wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:
Sometimes when you look at that these numbers and your mind boggles at that level of popularity, how many people are buying it, and you think, "Can a series really be that good with that many fans?"

And then you remember actually reading it, and you realize, yes, yes it can.

Indeed, as someone who reads/watches many other different types of series as well I often forget why I keep up with one piece, but then I just re-watch of the older episodes or read the latest chapter and automatically remember. Very Happy

People can call One Piece overrated as much as they want, but by damn it it must be worth SOMETHING if so many different people are fans of it.

I remember debating with someone on MAL in this regard, he said that One Piece is just average, with below average characters, below average story telling and subjectively bad art. I brought up the topic of top selling manga, and he told me that top selling doesn't guarantee it's quality, and I told him it sold 3 times greater than the 2nd place, selling 4mil copies per volume, and he went out and insults the 4mil people that are buying OP manga in Japan, now you see how ridiculously rude he is? He even called me an idiot, not once, but many times, I was wondering how did his parents raised him. That typemoon fanboy, went out as far as to wank at everything typemoon related, and step on every other non-typemoon works. He holds his own opinion higher than the 4mil people who bought OP manga, sigh.. Typical selfish human. /rant over.

I don't know who this guy is so I can't say anything about his character other than what I've heard, but what I can say is that that response is a bit natural once you really go into the depths of anime-fandom really. I freely admit that there are many series both anime and manga that critically speaking are better than one piece, and I also agree that popularity and quality are nowhere near one in the same. However when I made that first post I tried to be careful when I wrote what I said in that, many different types of people seem to like one piece verses what the entire anime fandom thinks. I've seen polls where its stated that people who are far older than the shonen demographic read one piece and as a person whose mother became a fan of the series I think I can say there is a bit of truth in that poll(my mom is literally the biggest one piece fan-girl I know in real life).

One piece is no ghost in the shell, cowboy bebop, FMA or even hunter x hunter, and that's just fine, it doesn't have to be nor should it try to be. I think One Piece is good enough to stand on its own as its own series. Yes, it’s not as mature as those first mentioned series, however I feel that One Piece knows what it wants to do and how it wants to do it and that works to its advantage hence the reason why so many different kinds of people like the series deep into anime or not. This isn't to say it’s pointless to be critical of the series, I do think a few of the criticisms one piece gets are valid ones such as the length of the series and that it’s tone isn't up to snuff in comparison to other series (though quite frankly the length doesn't really bother me that much and I pretty much grew to like the art). Regardless I truly find it stupid of said person to outright insult the fan-base like that, no matter how much you hate or dislike a series you shouldn't insult someone for their taste.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Ginsan wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:
Sometimes when you look at that these numbers and your mind boggles at that level of popularity, how many people are buying it, and you think, "Can a series really be that good with that many fans?"

Indeed, as someone who reads/watches many other different types of series as well I often forget why I keep up with one piece, but then I just re-watch of the older episodes or read the latest chapter and automatically remember. Very Happy

People can call One Piece overrated as much as they want, but by damn it it must be worth SOMETHING if so many different people are fans of it.

I remember debating with someone on MAL in this regard, he said that One Piece is just average, with below average characters, below average story telling and subjectively bad art. I brought up the topic of top selling manga, and he told me that top selling doesn't guarantee it's quality, and I told him it sold 3 times greater than the 2nd place, selling 4mil copies per volume, and he went out and insults the 4mil people that are buying OP manga in Japan, now you see how ridiculously rude he is? He even called me an idiot, not once, but many times, I was wondering how did his parents raised him. That typemoon fanboy, went out as far as to wank at everything typemoon related, and step on every other non-typemoon works. He holds his own opinion higher than the 4mil people who bought OP manga, sigh.. Typical selfish human. /rant over.

I don't know who this guy is so I can't say anything about his character other than what I've heard, but what I can say is that that response is a bit natural once you really go into the depths of anime-fandom really. I freely admit that there are many series both anime and manga that critically speaking are better than one piece, and I also agree that popularity and quality are nowhere near one in the same. However when I made that first post I tried to be careful when I wrote what I said in that, many different types of people seem to like one piece verses what the entire anime fandom thinks. I've seen polls where its stated that people who are far older than the shonen demographic read one piece and as a person whose mother became a fan of the series I think I can say there is a bit of truth in that poll(my mom is literally the biggest one piece fan-girl I know in real life).

One piece is no ghost in the shell, cowboy bebop, FMA or even hunter x hunter, and that's just fine, it doesn't have to be nor should it try to be. I think One Piece is good enough to stand on its own as its own series. Yes, it’s not as mature as those first mentioned series, however I feel that One Piece knows what it wants to do and how it wants to do it and that works to its advantage hence the reason why so many different kinds of people like the series deep into anime or not. This isn't to say it’s pointless to be critical of the series, I do think a few of the criticisms one piece gets are valid ones such as the length of the series and that it’s tone isn't up to snuff in comparison to other series (though quite frankly the length doesn't really bother me that much and I pretty much grew to like the art). Regardless I truly find it stupid of said person to outright insult the fan-base like that, no matter how much you hate or dislike a series you shouldn't insult someone for their taste.

What do you mean by mature? And why do a title need to be more mature to be better?
Saying that FMA, Hunter x Hunter are more mature than One Piece is really debatable(I don't remember Cowboy Bebop nor Ghost in the shell so I can not really say nothing about them. I'm only sure in one thing, they are darker than One Piece).

Dislikes will exist to any series and people liking more other series too. About being unreasonable while discussion a series, that is something in abundance in the internet, people should already expect that.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:23 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Ginsan wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Sewingrose wrote:

What do you mean by mature? And why do a title need to be more mature to be better?
Saying that FMA, Hunter x Hunter are more mature than One Piece is really debatable(I don't remember Cowboy Bebop nor Ghost in the shell so I can not really say nothing about them. I'm only sure in one thing, they are darker than One Piece).

Dislikes will exist to any series and people liking more other series too. About being unreasonable while discussion a series, that is something in abundance in the internet, people should already expect that.

I suppose what I mean by that is in tone, Its not like One Piece, CAN'T be mature, but how it handles it's themes is far different from how the other series I mentioned would handle it. Chose FMA and HxH specifically because they tend to go far more in depth with their themes such as grey morality and human nature that One Piece ever has...or really needs to. I don't think a series has to be mature to be good, it all depends on the subject matter and the overall tone the original creator is trying to go for. I think One Piece is perfectly fine as it is, if it tried to be and more 'DAAAAAACK' and 'MATUUUUUUUUURRRRR' it would just come off as pretentious and I doubt it would be as liked by many should that be the case. That said there are going to be those people who don't like the way One Piece handles it's themes, but that is a given.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote
One Piece totally deserves the success it has.

That said, as a huge FMA fan (especially the manga) I would like to point out that, as much as I love Fullmetal Alchemist, its characters and its world, as a manga One Piece is better if you consider its graphic and artistic quality compared to the FMA one, which more than a great manga is a great story; One Piece, instead, is both.
However, it isn't fair to compare an ongoing story to a finished one.

That said, I think that not only talent, but also dedication shows in a creative work, and I can only think about a few people as dedicated to their job as Oda is, in that field. One of them was Osamu Tezuka, and among the living Mitsuru Adachi for sure. Another great author is Rumiko Takahashi, but I find some of her manga too long and/or episodic to really enjoy them. There is Akira Toriyama of course, but Dragonball is too long and the fist part is better (and I appreciate Dr. Slup better now that I'm a grown-up); at any case, Toriyama created a style which is unique and well-recognizable, and he is amazing technically speaking.
Togashi is a genius for some of the things he comes up with, but he isn't as much dedicated. Naruto, which I was a great fan of and which I still read since I like its fandom and characters anyway, has lost its heart long ago in my opinion, unfortunately. Hiromu Arakawa can write quite original manga (I really like Silver Spoon too, not only FMA), but she lacks on the technical side of making manga a bit (which is to be expected since she had to work in her family farm until she was 24 or so if I remember well, so she couldn't completely dedicate herself to the manga at first, and she hasn't drawn as much as other authors).

I could talk about manga for hours, since I love them and read lots of them, yet I don't think OP is overrated at all, or that there are many long series better than it, and I consider it quite mature in what it represents too, unlike what some other people think. It's the kind of maturity that tells you to have funny with your friends and laugh and have a good time, and to appreciate these good times for the very reasons there are really bad things in life, too. The kind of maturity which makes you feel, really feel the loss of something or something important, before showing that even then you can still stand up again and go on.
I just hope it will maintain the same quality until the end. The funny thing is that I didn't even like it at first. OP is a story that starts slow for some people, but once you understand what it is really about, you can't not love it in my opinion. Only problem, for some people this will only "click" after at least 5-10 volumes. For me, it took around 3-4 volumes and two or three re-reads. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3