• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Limited Launches Mai Mai Miracle Kickstarter for U.S, U.K. Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If people are willing to pledge money for it, then why shouldn't the licensors put effort and money into something that would earn them money? This is money upfront. And the producers are more beholden to the pledgers because the way Kickstarter works, the pledgers are brought along as the production goes - they're able to dialogue directly with the producers, make suggestions, and sometimes even have a poll on how they want it. If the producers don't do a good job, any future Kickstarter project of theirs would be compromised, as pledgers would let others know.

While I do have faith in Anime Limited (as opposed to some other companies...), I was speaking in a more general sense. Because looking at many recent dubs, I fail to see where the quality lies. Again, this has nothing to do with Anime Limited, so far they've only deliviered high quality products, and i'm sure they will continue to do so.

I've already mentioned the other major reason, production time. Anime Limited themselves have stated that they can have a product shipped, in collectors edition packaging, within 3-4 months after the the initial Japanese release. They also explicitly stated that it would be sub only. A dub takes a lot of time to produce, and when that time has passed chances are that a significant amount of people have lost interest in the title, meaning a higher production cost for licensor, as well as less disc sales.

And that's not very good. Unless your goal is to lose money Wink.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

I've already mentioned the other major reason, production time. Anime Limited themselves have stated that they can have a product shipped, in collectors edition packaging, within 3-4 months after the the initial Japanese release. They also explicitly stated that it would be sub only. A dub takes a lot of time to produce, and when that time has passed chances are that a significant amount of people have lost interest in the title, meaning a higher production cost for licensor, as well as less disc sales.

And that's not very good. Unless your goal is to lose money Wink.

It's a balance. They also gain people who would buy it with a dub. If that's a net gain, then they would do it. They have to figure that out on a case-by-case basis.
mehh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

If people are willing to pledge money for it, then why shouldn't the licensors put effort and money into something that would earn them money? This is money upfront - they could take as long as they need; it's already been paid (not like pledgers can take their money back if it's taking too long). And the producers are more beholden to the pledgers because the way Kickstarter works, the pledgers are brought along as the production goes - they're able to dialogue directly with the producers, make suggestions, and sometimes even have a poll on how they want it. If the producers don't do a good job, any future Kickstarter project of theirs would be compromised, as pledgers would let others know.

When people are willing to spend the same amount of money on something regardless of the talent and money gone into the dub - why should a Licensor spend extra money on increasing the quality of the dub for no gain?

Although, I'm not against dubs, don't usually watch them myself because I can't get into them, most English voice actors can't deal with emotion and you just lose the effort of the anime, can't take it seriously or feel the characters emotions. I have come across a few good dubs that In my opinion, out perform the Original Japanese voice track, So i know it's definitely possible.

SouthPacific wrote:
Blood- wrote:
*yawn* More tedious anti-dubbing soapboxing from SouthPacific.

*sets watch*

*sigh* Actually, that was the first post I made specifically to point out some major flaws that dubbing comes with. Soapboxing sure is an overused term around here. If anything, I stole part of the post from many other comments i've seen.

It's actually quite pleasent to see people waking up, and I can only hope that we'll continue to see more sub-only releases because of aformentioned reasons Wink.

With all that said and done, I do still believe adding a dub does increase the overall value of the product. Put it this way - if adding a dub, whether it's shit or not, means more people will be exposed to an anime, more people will buy the anime - then why would you want them to stop producing dubs?

Anyway, don't forget what this thread is for. Can this sub vs dub flamewar just end now? Can we talk about mai mai without this turning into a huge argument?
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Release Mai Mai Miracle in both the UK and the US on blu-ray

Create and add English subtitles for the film

Produce quality packaging to house the blu-ray disc and make it Collector’s Edition worthy

Share some of the truly beautiful artwork, illustrations and behind-the-scenes goodness that comes with the making of such an animated film

Any consideration of dubs should only be after reaching this goal first.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I won't be lying to say that I am really really curious to see how this goes.
Will the kickstarter and or Anime Limited brand name really mean an order of magnitude difference in pledges vs. Anime Sols?
Or is it the strength of the movie, maybe?
We will see!
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I can agree with having a dub on the disc will add a value, although not the kind of value i'm willing to pay for. It's something that should be optional. And i've already said the things I want about dubs with the long production times and added costs. Also the reason this discussion sparked was because of a post on the first page about someone who'd be willing to think about supporting this kickstarter if they added a dub tier. That forced me into engaging a discussion Wink.

But yeah, I think this discussion is over, and I really can't wait to see the pledge options on this kickstarter. I'll be sure to pledge for deluxe packaging if they offer it, Anime Limited really know what they're doing when it comes to quality Very Happy!
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote
mehh wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

If people are willing to pledge money for it, then why shouldn't the licensors put effort and money into something that would earn them money? This is money upfront - they could take as long as they need; it's already been paid (not like pledgers can take their money back if it's taking too long). And the producers are more beholden to the pledgers because the way Kickstarter works, the pledgers are brought along as the production goes - they're able to dialogue directly with the producers, make suggestions, and sometimes even have a poll on how they want it. If the producers don't do a good job, any future Kickstarter project of theirs would be compromised, as pledgers would let others know.

When people are willing to spend the same amount of money on something regardless of the talent and money gone into the dub - why should a Licensor spend extra money on increasing the quality of the dub for no gain?

If they're smart, then the producers would budget for a quality dub rather than a minimal dub in the first place. If that quality dub pledge goal is reached, then they produce it - if it's not reached, then they don't produce it. Simple as that. (They get to keep the extra pledge money regardless if that pledge goal is reached, so no sense budgeting for a minimal expense dub to waste effort into.)

mehh wrote:

With all that said and done, I do still believe adding a dub does increase the overall value of the product. Put it this way - if adding a dub, whether it's shit or not, means more people will be exposed to an anime, more people will buy the anime - then why would you want them to stop producing dubs?

And dubs don't have to be as good as the Japanese originals to serve its purpose, which is to entice more buyers or open up move avenues for the product to sell. It just has to be good to enough people.

SouthPacific wrote:

I can agree with having a dub on the disc will add a value, although not the kind of value i'm willing to pay for.

If people remember their Western anime history, for the longest time, the dub side of the sales subsidized the sub side of the sales. Not so much anymore, for a variety of reasons. But anime companies typically don't want to automatically handicap their product's sales potential, but they have to figure that out case-by-case.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh here come the sub dub debates.

Now while I wouldn't mind someone just releasing this as a niche title sub, I've long come to support a dub for something like this. If there is a way to get dubbing done it would reach a wider audience. And fans will pay for a dub, the thing is to get this niche film released. If this film had been released at this time and was screened there could have been a chance for a release. In the same manner 'Oblivion Island' did. Considering that it was screened as part of the same line up alongside Secret of Kells in NYC's NYICFF. Again this is an older title now. The one reason I went to see this was because I knew there wasn't going to be another chance to see it as a title I never heard of. A dub would be good for those who have issues with subs, not to mention you might want to share it with those who don't watch subtitled films. Since I've been attending these festivals I try to present these films to my niece and other family members because they are not in the "sub" camp. But again the hard part it getting this successfully funded and we haven't even gotten there yet. But folks should ask them. If they can get a tier for a dub then go for it. That's the good thing about this crowdfunding thing, it's being used to make fans pay the costs. If they REALLY want it they'll fund it.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Anime Limited just posted up a preview of the Kickstarter page (it's not actually live yet), and they are indeed hoping to raise enough funds for an English dub as a stretch goal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/alltheanime/1966076526?token=3bc1557d

So nya. Razz

Also, really nice looking page layout, I'm impressed. Smile
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
To be honest if they did dub it I wonder what studio would be used, I imagine one of the US studio that Anime Ltd. has good links with? But as Anime Ltd. is a UK based company perhaps it would go to Side UK Ltd. who dubbed Ni no Kuni for Level 5 and Studio Ghibli, as well as dubs for the Professor Layton games?

Personally, based on just the trailers for Ni no Kuni and on the Professor Layton movie (yeah I've never played a Professor Layton games but I've seen the movie, go figure) I think their dubs can sound a bit flat and emotionless.

What dubbing studio was it that produced the UK Arrietty? I know Optimum released it therefore it would be Studio Canal that worked on it but would they have produced it in house, or sub-contracted it? I actually thought that sounded rather bland as well but I am just curious now.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
^ Well, for the dub of 009: Re-Cyborg, they got NYAV to do it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Anyways, so it's not a miracle revival of My My Mai? Laughing

• Plot Summary: Mai runs a consulting business and is often times peoples last hope for help with their problems. She will use whatever means necessary to get her clients satisfaction.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
NYAV Post have some of my favourite voice talent, that could be good but I have to admit I don't think I have watched any of there dubs myself. I know most of their voice actors via dubs said actors have done for other studios or video games e.g. Troy Baker.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Im honestly glad to see that a dub is one of the prioritized stretch goals. While physical extras are cool to have, they're ultimately just extra junk that I may look at once or twice but usually just end up sitting in a corner taking up space.

I'd rather intial stretch goals go into the actual production and, once thats exhausted, get the neat little physical stuff as extra gifts with the remaining funds.

At this point though, we have to see what kinda kickstarter this will be. Will this be like Time of Eve where the initial goal was met immediately and the backers funded stretch goal after stretch goal? Will this be like the Santa Company where it just barely met its initial goal within its last few days of funding? Or will this be kinda an inbetween speed like Bubblegum Crisis? Guess only time will tell, All I know is I cant wait Smile
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4