• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam's 35th Year Marked With Reconguista in G, The Origin

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:34 am Reply with quote
Well I am happy that we're getting Origin anime but I was hoping for full adaption of the manga using this new impressive art and animation. I hope that there will be more to come out later.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:57 am Reply with quote
I wonder how many people are going to complain about Reconguista in G because the protagonists aren't bishies.

Also, my only complaint is that it looks a little too "Eureka Seven"-ish. Am I going to expect everyone treating the protagonist like crap and a mediocre sequel set in the future?
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:02 am Reply with quote
I'm really disappointed that they didn't announce a full adaptation of Origin.

Specifically for what it could do to western fandom. The main problem with UC Gundam in the west is that, by the time anyone would care, it was too old for most people to get into.

I have little doubt that a proper adaptation of Origin would do really well here, specifically because it wouldn't rely on familiarity with 40 years of Gundam canon.

I'll watch the new stuff for sure, but I feel like it's just playing off the same continuity from the original show. Which won't net Gundam any new fans in the west.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
Depending on how often the four Origin prequels come out, they could very well finish it just in time to announce a full series for the fortieth anniversary.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
I was actually starting to convince myself the the Origin was not going to be animated at all. Especially given that Sunrise appeared unwilling to address the status of its production. Adapting the whole manga would be great, but if all they are making is the Char's back story, I am happy and excited for it; it is the part of the Origin that most interests me.

As far as Reconquista, it does not look appealing to me, and I do not like how it looks. Is this by any chance the project that Gonzo is working on? It also looks like Bones, as Vaisaga pointed out.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Yeah that could be it, but 4 episodes seems like a bit too little to do the whole thing.

I am assuming they will be 4 hour-long episodes.

animehermit wrote:

Specifically for what it could do to western fandom...I have little doubt that a proper adaptation of Origin would do really well here, specifically because it wouldn't rely on familiarity with 40 years of Gundam canon.

You make sound as if it would not be that difficult to garner a more widespread enthusiasm for Gundam in the West (specifically N.A.). I have heard for years that, other than a few hardcore enthusiasts, fans over here do not really care much for Gundam.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:50 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

You make sound as if there was a big enthusiasm in the West (specifically N.A.) for Gundam. I have heard for years that, other than a few hardcore enthusiasts, fans over here do not really care much for Gundam.

You are correct there, but my point was that it would create more Gundam fans here in the west. More than the niche that's already here.

Like I said, the problem with Gundam is that most of the good shows in the continuity are 30+ years old. It's hard to gain new fans when the animation is that dated.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As far as Reconquista, it does not look appealing to me, and I do not like how it looks. Is this by any chance the project that Gonzo is working on? It also looks like Bones, as Vaisaga pointed out.

Well a lot of usual BONES staffers are working on it so it's no surprise.AND WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU BRING GONZO IN TO ALL OF THIS?
I am really looking forward to it,it's Tomino so it really is impossible for it not to be interesting.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:34 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
Quote:

Well a lot of usual BONES staffers are working on it so it's no surprise.AND WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU BRING GONZO IN TO ALL OF THIS?

This article made me wonder. I do realize that the Gonzo project is for Spring. You do not have to get aggressive.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-22/gundam-gonzo-announcements-planned-on-march-22
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm really getting a King Gainer feel from G-Reco.
I love it already.

Kind of a shame it ended up being a Gundam show though. Was really hoping for it not to be connected aside from heritage.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to be interested in new Gundam works at this point, but Tomino's involvement has me somewhat enlivened, as he's my favorite anime director. Let's just hope this is Turn A Gundam Tomino and not Garzey's Wing Tomino.

Maybe if the Casval flashback mini series goes well we'll get a full on adaptation of The Origin. I like that the designs stay loyal to Yas.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Frazmataz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Neat! Finally, some news about the Origin Very Happy

animehermit wrote:

Specifically for what it could do to western fandom. The main problem with UC Gundam in the west is that, by the time anyone would care, it was too old for most people to get into.

I have little doubt that a proper adaptation of Origin would do really well here, specifically because it wouldn't rely on familiarity with 40 years of Gundam canon.

Yeah, that was what I was hoping for too - it would be a great opportunity to attempt to revitalise Gundam's fortunes in the West by going 'back to basics', as it were. But even if we're simply getting all of the back-story not previously animated (which this seems to be), that's still no bad thing. I'm more excited for the project now that Sunrise have actually revealed a little about it.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
So UC is almost over and I take it that The Origin will replace it? Its a 4 part adaptation, so an OVA every 6 months or so? Kinda sucks that Origin isn't a full anime though.

As for Gundam: Reconguista in G....umm it looks alright..I guess. As long as its not another AGE I'm good with it. It is right after the UC era so its good that we're not getting another alternative universe. It also looks like Eureka seveN haha, I guess the art style
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not if you're concentrating only on certain portions of the manga.
Origin animated is not a remake of the entire 0079 Gundam tv series.
Hence no need for 40+ episodes.
Yes......that's exactly what I said in my previous post.....

Quote:
I love being right Twisted Evil
No you were not, you claimed that a UC series couldn't be made because it wouldn't be tied to the Zabi's. They already made several shows not about the Zabis and are now making a new one which regardless of it not being UC already has stated it has ties to the UC and could easily make references to it.

Quote:
The UC is dead, and Sunrise righfully invests in alternate timelines.
UC is dead so much that Unicorn a UC anime is a big hit, they've announced a new anime that will reveal new story elements to the UC timeline, and a new show where they made a point of mentioning a connection to the UC. Yeah, so dead.

Quote:

Bye bye UC, you've done the job for more than 30 years, now it's time to let the youngsters come in. Cool Laughing
I'm not sure what kept youngsters coming in with UC anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

You make sound as if there was a big enthusiasm in the West (specifically N.A.) for Gundam. I have heard for years that, other than a few hardcore enthusiasts, fans over here do not really care much for Gundam.

You are correct there, but my point was that it would create more Gundam fans here in the west. More than the niche that's already here.

Like I said, the problem with Gundam is that most of the good shows in the continuity are 30+ years old. It's hard to gain new fans when the animation is that dated.

How delusional can one get ? Rolling Eyes
Gundam Wing was a great success in the US. Because at the time it aired it was new. Bandai should have gone forward pressing with Seed and Destiny (and these 2 shows in Japan are all the rage for the post 0079 fans). Instead they went from Gundam Wing to 0079 and caos insued. It was pretty obvious modern fans that took to Gundam Wing would never accept the old animation of 0079 (narrative quality notwithstanding). Hence the death of the Gundam franchise in the US. Gundam in the US was not niche. It became niche because of brain dead decisions to support a 40 year old show that no one cared about.
Continue to insist on 0079 is just idiotic. Bandai were they ever to make a Gundam comeback should just forget about 0079 and bring Gundam 00 and the NEW series.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't SEED not even in existence when Bandai pushed 0079 in America (since I seem to recall TURRRURISM making them cancel the TV run)? So not only could they have not pursued that avenue, it would taken like another year or more for them to have even gotten it to us dubbed. Also, maybe you're just being hyperbolic, but 0079 was only like ~22 years old at the time...

Either way, they did follow it up with G Gundam, which became a hit here, so maybe they should have tried for X after its failure in Japan. I think that may have caught on at the time just fine. I'd have certainly dug seeing that on TV after Wing. They did also run 08th MS Team and other UC OVAs and films for the Midnight Run as specials; it'd have been cooler if them kept them in circulation longer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5