• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
labmember001

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
I believe his point was that those people would only be relevant to Americans. I am not American so I can not say I have heard of him.

Partially right; I was really just comparing the two lead cast, of which the American two have no experience. And of the 4 American non-leads, only 1 has decent experience and 1 has some experience. The Japanese cast has household names in there. The only one without massive anime dubbing experience is the guy playing Nick Fury, and he's been Samuel L Jackson's Japanese dub for years by the look of it.
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
Araki, where do you live? Guessing you're a foreigner (US-wise) by your statements. But yeah, most American anime fans I know, even the sub-purists say they can't watch Marvel or DC characters in languages other than English. Might need to give this a shot after con.
silentjay

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:52 am Reply with quote
labmember001 wrote:
Partially right; I was really just comparing the two lead cast, of which the American two have no experience. And of the 4 American non-leads, only 1 has decent experience and 1 has some experience.

The only English actor that hasn't any voice acting experience is Jennifer Carpenter, who plays Black Widow, but everybody else is a professional voice actor. Likely you've never heard of them, because you probably only follow anime, but they're all pretty big names. Like Phil LaMarr big.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:35 am Reply with quote
labmember001 wrote:
Guile wrote:
I believe his point was that those people would only be relevant to Americans. I am not American so I can not say I have heard of him.

Partially right; I was really just comparing the two lead cast, of which the American two have no experience. And of the 4 American non-leads, only 1 has decent experience and 1 has some experience. The Japanese cast has household names in there. The only one without massive anime dubbing experience is the guy playing Nick Fury, and he's been Samuel L Jackson's Japanese dub for years by the look of it.

Kyle Hebert only qualifies as "decent" experience. Riiiight. Rolling Eyes

While Grant George doesn't have a huge amount of experience, he's done several well-known roles.

John Eric Bentley has done one other well-known role, so he hardly has "no experience."

Look, the arguments here are largely coming down to, "ooh, the Japanese cast is automatically better because they have a greater average experience level," and that's just a load of BS. I actually listened to most (admittedly not all) of the movie in Japanese and didn't notice a single place in the movie where I thought the Japanese performances were better; hell, in a lot of the samples I listened to where any character other than Black Widow was speaking, the Japanese performances didn't measure up.

Really, unless you've actually heard a substantial amount of both dubs, you shouldn't be commenting on the actual relative dub qualities.

Last edited by Key on Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alunimus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
I'm saying if they could they'd probably want to listen in thier own language, before even Japanese. Will this have a French dub? A German dub? No, it will probably default to English in most regions and that's what people will keep it at. Plus, this is seen as an American property as well.
Wrong. Many people who appreciate anime watch it with the original voice acting. Because, y'know, that's how it was originally supposed to be watched. And there's also a fact that most of the dubs are complete crap, especially compared to the original.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
" No one" outside of Japan knows or care's about them either.
Wrong. Those who watch and like anime know about Japanese voice actors and can recognize at least the most popular ones. And I'm not talking about some average Joe who picks random cartoon to watch but of people which really interested in Japanese animation. I mean, serously, how could an anime fan not know voices of Sawashiro Miyuki, Tomokazu Sugita and other popular seyuu?

And I'm absolutely sure that there are a lot of people who like both anime and comics, those willing to enjoy such projects not only with English dub.
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:08 am Reply with quote
Alunimus wrote:
Wrong. Many people who appreciate anime watch it with the original voice acting. Because, y'know, that's how it was originally supposed to be watched. And there's also a fact that most of the dubs are complete crap, especially compared to the original.

Wrong. Those who watch and like anime know about Japanese voice actors and can recognize at least the most popular ones. And I'm not talking about some average Joe who picks random cartoon to watch but of people which really interested in Japanese animation. I mean, serously, how could an anime fan not know voices of Sawashiro Miyuki, Tomokazu Sugita and other popular seyuu?

And I'm absolutely sure that there are a lot of people who like both anime and comics, those willing to enjoy such projects not only with English dub.

*Many people who appreciate anime watch it with the original voice acting.

So according to your backwards cave logic, those of us who enjoy English dubs of anime don't appreciate anime at all, despite we spend more than most do on Blu-Rays and DVDs. Are you for real?

*Because, y'know, that's how it was originally supposed to be watched.

According to who? You? And who are you exactly, the great anime dictator?

*And there's also a fact that most of the dubs are complete crap, especially compared to the original.

Yawn, only seen this statement for the umpteenth time. Moving on because no one who ever says it can back it up.

*I mean, serously, how could an anime fan not know voices of Sawashiro Miyuki, Tomokazu Sugita and other popular seyuu?

Uh, easily? It doesn't matter to everyone to know these things. Not everyone cares like you obsessively do.

*And I'm absolutely sure that there are a lot of people who like both anime and comics, those willing to enjoy such projects not only with English dub.

...You are aware the Avengers are not anime characters, correct? You make it sound like they now belong to Japan just because Madhouse made this painfully uninteresting...thing. I'm afraid to burst your weak bubble, but you are in the niche minority if you think anything is better just because Japan made it.

Last edited by Just-another-face on Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Wrong. Many people who appreciate anime watch it with the original voice acting.
Do you have any actual data to back that up? Because I don't think that's true at all. If that was true many companies wouldn't feel the need to dub most things, because they would sell regardless. Yet, releases without dubs are usually smaller releases. Meant really for specific fans. Most things are dubbed because they want them to sell the most. Big things are dubbed because they have the intent of selling to a larger audience. Plus many casual people just watch stuff on tv, never caring about the Japanese voice acting.

Quote:

Because, y'know, that's how it was originally supposed to be watched.
well that's a stupid argument, that's neither here nor there.
Quote:

And there's also a fact that most of the dubs are complete crap, especially compared to the original.
Well that's just you're personal opinion and this argument really has nothing to do with quality. It has more to do with the fact that for whatever reason companies like Funimation are still pretty adamant on dubbing almost everything and sub only releases are niches in a niche. Why do you think that is?

Quote:
Wrong. Those who watch and like anime know about Japanese voice actors and can recognize at least the most popular ones.
No, not at all. You're talking about hardcore anime fans only. Go to plenty of anime cons with people who call themselves anime fans. They don't know who Japanese voice actors are or even care. Hell, it's not uncommon for English actors to receive more attention then the Japanese at cons.

Hell, I've been watching anime for over 15 years now and quite honestly I don't know or care about Japanese voice actors.

Quote:
I mean, serously, how could an anime fan not know voices of Sawashiro Miyuki, Tomokazu Sugita and other popular seyuu?
Pretty easily.

Quote:
Um probably not a lot, not the majority picking this up at walmart. There's probably some, but more then half of the people picking this up probably don't care about anime and aren't going to watch something like this in Japanese. Putting the Japanese track already sounds like it was a throwaway thing with this release.

Quote:
And I'm not talking about some average Joe who picks random cartoon to watch
Oh you mean like the person who's buying this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
This latest Marvel/Madhouse collaboration movie actually surprised me this time because unlike the incredibly boring and pretentious Rise of Technovore movie, at least this is much more straight forward and the action sequences here are very nice.

The Punisher has some great character moments here and Black Widow feels kind of sidelined her and don't make me comment on her voice acting because man, she sounds so completely stiff and phoning it in that it is just painful! I rather listen to the Japanese version.

This may be off topic but I managed to watch the first two episodes of Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers and I am quite surprised by it. Sure, it is goofy as hell but it's hell of a lot more entertaining than the current Marvel Animation garbage that Jeph Loeb has forced upon us.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
This latest Marvel/Madhouse collaboration movie actually surprised me this time because unlike the incredibly boring and pretentious Rise of Technovore movie, at least this is much more straight forward and the action sequences here are very nice.

The Punisher has some great character moments here and Black Widow feels kind of sidelined her and don't make me comment on her voice acting because man, she sounds so completely stiff and phoning it in that it is just painful! I rather listen to the Japanese version.

This may be off topic but I managed to watch the first two episodes of Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers and I am quite surprised by it. Sure, it is goofy as hell but it's hell of a lot more entertaining than the current Marvel Animation garbage that Jeph Loeb has forced upon us.

I'm getting curious to check this out since it seems like it's at least decent and I like all of the more experienced dub VAs that probably fill out the bit parts like Kyle Hebert (pretty much always great) and Kari Wahlgren who's one of my favorites, plus JB Blanc is usually pretty cool in the shows I've heard him in so far like Hellsing and Beware the Batman, and Fred Tatasciore as Shifu in Kung Fu Panda tv, etc. And as said earlier Bloom should be pretty good too.

I guess I'm not really surprised by Black Widow's, which is a shame.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Shifu in Kung Fu Panda tv

JB Blanc is not Shifu. It's Fred Tatasciore.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
DangerMouse wrote:
Shifu in Kung Fu Panda tv

JB Blanc is not Shifu. It's Fred Tatasciore.

Thanks for the catch! Messed it up when I changed it around.

I meant to add him in as well, fixed. Smile

Last edited by DangerMouse on Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Thanks for the catch!

I meant to add him in as well, fixed.

No problem. :)

Don't forget Hulk. Fred is greatest voice for Hulk there is! :D
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, the one thing I can say about it was that the animation is slick thanks to Madhouse. I watched the dub mainly because 1) since it's a Western project I just defaulted to English. 2) I somehow forgot there was one. But I switched back and forth after I had finished. I felt that VA for the English voice for Punisher was ok, for what he would have sounded like. His Japanese voice is very deep because of the Japanese VA that they picked for him. If I had been watching the Jp audio first I probably wouldn't have thought much about it. While he does a great job, his VA didn't fit the character in my book. However Black Widow's Jp VA did what Jp VA women actors do best. I was suddenly reminded of Lupin's Fujiko. One of the main problems that I have with dubbed projects of this nature is that it's hard for me to naturally accept a dub unless it's good or the production is Western. In other words Western project English audio (only no other), anime either an excellent dub or Jp audio. While I don't have any problems with dubs, I do have a problem if I decide to watch with a family member, friend or I'm lazy and the dub is sub par. Another thing that bugs me with dubs and this happens with a lot of dubbed action anime, is the unnecessary extra grunting that often times isn't there in the Jp audio. I mean what is the point. The sub work was pretty standard, as if they had worded the script exactly in both versions. So I had wondered if the subs were even on point.

But other than that it wasn't bad. It's typical of a Marvel anime project. I'd still buy it. It actually got me curious about the Punisher and Black Widow from when I last remembered when I read Marvel comics.
labmember001

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Just-another-face wrote:
Because, y'know, that's how it was originally supposed to be watched.

According to who? You? And who are you exactly, the great anime dictator?

No, according to the director, producer, animators, etc. Everyone actually involved in making the anime.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Neither of the leads – Brian Bloom and Jennifer Carpenter – has substantial dubbing experience, but both have won acting-related awards (Brian for a stint on the soap opera As The World Turns, Jennifer for a major supporting role on the Showtime series Dexter).

Why do these studios insist on having actors who are not experienced with anime dubbing feature in dubbed anime? As the review points out, and as we all likely already know, an actor who is great in live action, stage or pre-lay VO can stumble in dubbing anime. You'd think that they-the studios-would learn.

I'm not a fan of Bang/Zoom but had they used Bang/Zoom anime veterans for the whole cast then this would have been vastly superior.
Quote:
All give perfectly fine performances except where face with hopeless comparisons, such as Matthew Mercer trying to make Tony Stark as cool as Downey Jr. did.

While I believe that Mercer sounds too forced, too "Bang/Zoom", to ever emulate RDJ's rendition of Tony Stark I do believe that he could have gotten much closer had they called up Funimation and acquired the services of their scriptwriting team. While I'm thinking of what could have been, perhaps they could have procured the talent of Eric Vale as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4