• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tennessee Titans Guard Chance Warmack Is Totally Down With Anime and Cosplay

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billy bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Kidnicky wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:
^.....Did you honestly just refer to all Madoka Magicka fans as "pedos"? Like, seriously?

You know, I like Madoka Magicka because it's well-animated, well-written, and has a fantastic story, not because I have a fetish for little girls. Are you saying I'm a pedo? Confused

Are you walking around sporting a T -shirt with sexualized little girls on it? Because if you are, I'm not saying you are definately a pedo, but if it walks like a duck, etc.

The dude was (apparently) an adult male and someone else told him liking moe was wrong. It is. The poster is in the wrong. Defending him, which I'm sure everyone here will do, is gross.

Dude you gotta be careful.

Not everyone who is into moe cutsey girls is a pedo bro. Thats like saying every jock is a COMPLETE AND UTTER DUMBASS not true.

And while CERTAIN ANIME TITLES have problems with fetishizing under age female characters. If you actually watched Madoka youd be relieved to know its not like that at all.

Also remember the internet is not the defitive word on the world. For every hardcore anime fan posting on forums you got
PProbably two more casuals who arent.

Moe shit bugs me too but that doesnt mean those fans are also lusting after real life third graders. Too simple of a broadstroke.

That being said to all anime fans theres a general limit you can take your nerd pride thing . Wearing general stuff whatever. Gundam or Luffy on a tee shirt fine. Pokemon whatever.

Stuff that has anime girls on it is tricky. Particularly ecchi shows. Youre not always gonna have an audience to break sterotypes and misconceptions towards. If you dont have a mountain of personality and charisma to overcome what it symbolizes in peoples minds (pedophile) then you risk closing off a A LOT of potential relationships needlessly if you flaunt it loud and proud.

If youre as GAR as Luffy or Kamina and just UTTERLY POSITIVELY DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE THINKS ABOUT you then more power to you.

Otherwise dont trash your likes but keep it in check just cause youre gonna cause a LOT MORE anxiety and headaches for yourself than you need.
blcskate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I am 32 and I have watched nothing but anime since I was 16. I do watch some movies, but nothing is like anime to me. I wear t-shirt, carry anime bags, keychains, etc... I have never had anyone say anything negative to me. In fact I get "I love that show" and "Nice shirt" all the time.

I have anime decals on my 2014 Corvette (pretty sure I am the only person in the world with one piece and fairy tail on a 70k car). I wear it loud and proud, because I love it. If someone says anything to me I would simply tell them to go back to the bar and I will go back to my shows. I have three kids that are all getting into anime. My 6 year old son has seen all of DBZ, One Piece, Fairy Tail, FMA, and lot of smaller shows too. He cosplays at conventions with me.

People who are ignorant enough to talk crap to your face about something you like are losers and not worth your time to begin with.

As for the pedo comment above. I watch all anime. I mean all. I have over 6,000 anime dvds/blu-ray. I have only seen one anime I didn't like "Sister Princess". Everything else was at least entertaining. Everything from Gravitation (BL), Saiyuki (Sister Love), Madoka (Moe Thriller) to Dears (one of my favs), FMP, and Tenjho Tenge. The best part about anime is the fact the stories don't have to be real or even make sense to be good. Sure a real movie with 9 year old girls asking out high school boys would be disturbing, but in anime its just fake and sometimes funny. Don't cross the line between reality and anime. Just because I watch anime doesn't mean I am not sickened by real life pedos. There is a river of difference there.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
blcskate wrote:
.I have only seen one anime I didn't like "Sister Princess". Everything else was at least entertaining. Everything from Gravitation (BL), Saiyuki (Sister Love), Madoka (Moe Thriller) to Dears (one of my favs), FMP, and Tenjho Tenge.
Wow, you may have the lowest standards I've ever seen. I don't mean any offense; it's kind of impressive, actually.
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
blcskate wrote:
.I have only seen one anime I didn't like "Sister Princess". Everything else was at least entertaining. Everything from Gravitation (BL), Saiyuki (Sister Love), Madoka (Moe Thriller) to Dears (one of my favs), FMP, and Tenjho Tenge.
Wow, you may have the lowest standards I've ever seen. I don't mean any offense; it's kind of impressive, actually.
He likes EVERYTHING. That's like saying, hey, I'm a TV fan, I like Game of Thrones, Sesame Street, and Honey Boo Boo.

That being said I would kill for a One Piece themed '14 Corvette. Or really just any '14 Corvette.
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
Kidnicky wrote:
Are you walking around sporting a T -shirt with sexualized little girls on it? Because if you are, I'm not saying you are definately a pedo, but if it walks like a duck, etc.

The dude was (apparently) an adult male and someone else told him liking moe was wrong. It is. The poster is in the wrong. Defending him, which I'm sure everyone here will do, is gross.

...I'm guessing you haven't seen the show. If you did, you wouldn't be saying what you just said. I don't have a fetish for little girls, fictional or real. The guy was accusing me of it, though, because Madoka's cast (as displayed on my shirt) are a bunch of little girls. What people were defending me on was the fact that people who know nothing about anime were making really ignorant comments about the contents of my apparel.
On that note, I will still defend a "pedo" as long as they keep their fetish to fiction. Society doesn't realize yet that pedophilia is rooted in basic human instincts. Obviously, having someone like that touch a little girl or boy in a suggestive manner in real life is dangerous. But fetishes aren't things that people choose to have. As long as they can control them, they shouldn't automatically be branded as criminals.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Outside of grade school, who honestly is "discriminating" against people who like anime?
There are various stories out there of clashes between sports fans and Otakon attendees, since Otakon's longtime location is/was very close to Camden Yards and the Ravens' stadium.

kidnicky wrote:
And you know, not to threadjack, but I used to be SUPER into anime, and I've basically fallen out of the community all together, because somewhere along the way it turned from "yeah, robots and boobs!" To "why are pedophiles prosecuted?" And that's not something I feel comfortable with. So every six months or so I catch up with some robot shows, then think I'll give fandom a try,

Kidnicky wrote:
Quote:
I love anime and I would think an adult man with a Madoka Majica shirt was a creeper. I mean, I wouldn't call the cops, but if you're a fan of that stuff, you're probably a pedo.
So... any depiction of a youngish girl on a T-shirt or in an anime is necessarily "sexualized"? Considering that there's virtually nothing in the Madoka Magica anime itself that stands out as "red meat" pedobait (no defined nudity, no pantyshots/bra reveals/changing scenes, no swimsuit episode, no age-gap relationships, etc.), I'm going to have to conclude that this is nothing more than the "Pedo Hunt" subset of Crystal Ball Criticism.

Also, it's not like your prized robot genre is void of little or underage girls, either. And I'm somewhat disturbed by the assumption that the only reason an adult man could ever like anything featuring female characters under the age of 20 or whatever is sexual attraction to said characters. It's almost as if you're seeing pedophilic appeal in places where the "creepy" fans you decry see nothing of the sort.

In the end, what's primarily being defended is not the rights of pedophiles to do things with children, but the rights of fans to enjoy certain types of non-mainstream entertainment without life-ruining consequences. But if you want to defend the rights of people to make snap judgments based on ignorance and paranoia, go right ahead, I guess. Just remember, the greatest statistical sexual abuse threats to children are trusted and "normal" adults like relatives, family friends, teachers, coaches, clergy, etc., not the random stranger at the nerd store wearing a Lucky Star t-shirt.
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 and his ilk are why I don't self identify as an anime fan any more. Sorry, liking fake little girls is as creepy as liking real ones. I like robot anime, and if someone told me I could pilot a real Mazinger Z if I wanted I would be like "hell yeah, where do I sign up!!" So if someone likes Lucky Star then.......... I mean it's not a hard conclusion to come to.

I'm not saying ALL people who watch moe shows are sex criminals, but they definately seem creepy and it's certainly not something I want to be around. A guy knocking at my door with a chainsaw MIGHT just be offering to trim the hedges, but I'll never know for sure.

And yes I know there are robot shows with questionable material. If I feel uncomfortable with it, I don't watch it. I don't want /need stuff like that in my browser history. Sorry if that makes me closed minded or something.

Remember Cowboy Bebop? Why can't we like stuff like that any more?
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Kidnicky wrote:

Well, we do have Space Dandy out, if you're interested. The show came from the same creator that made Cowboy Bebop.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Kidnicky wrote:
Because that doesn't sell.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
Kidnicky wrote:
Juno016 and his ilk are why I don't self identify as an anime fan any more. Sorry, liking fake little girls is as creepy as liking real ones.

Juno016 wrote:
I don't have a fetish for little girls, fictional or real.

My point is, you're making really ignorant accusations based on things you have no idea about, and clumping me into some kind of group of people that shouldn't be associated with. I don't see the basis behind your logic.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:52 am Reply with quote
EyeOfPain wrote:
Kidnicky wrote:

Because that doesn't sell.

Cowboy Bebop has good sales figures though.

http://www.someanithing.com/312/comment-page-1
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:16 am Reply with quote
Not a fan of football but this is pretty cool. I find it pretty interesting learning that random celebrities are fans of anime.

As for me, I haven't really had any issues with others. I only have four anime related shirts that I bought more because of their images than to actually wear ( although my Ranko/Short Peace shirt looks so badass that I'll probably wear it). I do however have a Strike Witches sweatband that I always wear, and people usually don't notice. My backpack also has a lot of pins, some anime related, which I've gotten complimented for. I also had a small Miku pillow phone charm, but I don't use it anymore because my current phone unfortunately has no place to hang it from. Crying or Very sad Some little kids would be fascinated with it, and my friends would mostly joke about how I'll use it to sleep in class and dream of Miku. A mini stuffed Miku sits in my car.

My parents don't seem to mind: my mom is more worried about space and cost of all the DVDs I buy, and my dad has a nice movie collection (and often borrows from mine), he collects toy cars and Star wars figures, and watched Ultraman and Speed Racer as a kid.( plus he liked the sexy anime figure at the anime shop many years ago ). My sis has her bag covered in pins, with some anime ones included. I saw people in high school with Batman, Marvel, and other shirts, and I constantly see people at my University with shirts of popular tv series and random anime. It also helps that I live in SoCal, so stores selling this apparel are common. (Spencers, Hot Topic, FYE, and even Kohls)

It's a shame incidents like Juno016's happen though. The pedophile part was really not cool.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:20 am Reply with quote
Kidnicky wrote:
Juno016 and his ilk are why I don't self identify as an anime fan any more. Sorry, liking fake little girls is as creepy as liking real ones. I like robot anime, and if someone told me I could pilot a real Mazinger Z if I wanted I would be like "hell yeah, where do I sign up!!" So if someone likes Lucky Star then.......... I mean it's not a hard conclusion to come to.
Okay, fine, you got me. My base carnal lolicon desires are compelling me to be a high school* student and engage teenage girls in conversations about food and weather, go to conventions and play MMOs with them, and sit around making references to obscure anime and games. OH, THE DEPRAVITY!!!

*Though by the medical definition of the term, attraction to postpubescent teenagers is not pedophilia.

Quote:
Surely you've answered your own question already? Cowboy Bebop contains a young female character, and under your terms any adult male who likes the show must be a pedophile attracted to Ed, because it's apparently impossible to like anything featuring young female characters unless you're sexually attracted to said characters.

Quote:
I suspect Gundam or Black Lagoon shirts would not have people threatening to call the cops.
Probably less likely, but the normals out there still tend to make the fallacious "cartoons = intended for children, liking cartoons = liking children" association. After all, the adult male fans of that recent pony show were labeled pedophiles by paranoid parents, even though the show itself is completely innocent and doesn't even involve any human characters, little-girl or otherwise. You'd think charges of zoophilia or equiphilia would be more apt, but no.

Quote:
but people walk around here with comic book, game, anime, whatever shirts in public and no one gives a shit.
Except for you, apparently. Look, you're right that shirts and merch from ecchi and moe anime are inevitably going to raise eyebrows among the general public. I don't own any clothing like that, and if I did, I wouldn't wear it in public, even at conventions. But you don't have to wear your heart on your sleeve to feel the pinch; a random Facebook like of some oddly-titled foreign cartoon could easily lead to trouble if the wrong people see it.

And you're not completely off-base when it comes to pedophile-defending in the fandom or the presence of pedo-pandering in anime. But those of us who've actually watched many of these shows know lolicon-appeal material when we see it. Compare, say, Madoka Magica with the parody anime Moetan, and you'll see a world of difference, even though they're both Magical Girl anime with mascots, transformation sequences, frilly outfits, magical battles, etc. Hint: one of these shows has been purged from the formerly-useful television tropes site, and it ain't the one that has theatrical screenings and shirts sold over here.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:03 am Reply with quote
Kidnicky wrote:
...I like robot anime, and if someone told me I could pilot a real Mazinger Z if I wanted I would be like "hell yeah, where do I sign up!!" So if someone likes Lucky Star then.......... I mean it's not a hard conclusion to come to.

Let's not stop there,

You like action movies. Someone offers you a shotgun. So if you liked Rambo then.......... I mean it's not a hard conclusion to come to.

You like heist movies. You see a bank. So if you saw Ocean's 11 then.......... I mean it's not a hard conclusion to come to.

Repeat ad nauseam. Ergo, your argument, status: lost.

Fiction is fiction. Reality is reality. Deal with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3