• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Man With A Decepticon Maserati Is Arrested For Impersonating Police

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Are people seriously defending this guy? Come on. The point is not that it wasn't a perfect copy. The point is that, at a glace, it could still fool people. You can't go cruising down the road in a vehicle that people could easily look at and mistake for a police car.
Ronin2081

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Not defending, just pointing out that there are some police cars without the overhead lights, which someone didn't believe.

Sure at a glance it can be mistaken as a police car, more so if you live in an area where they have money to splurge. I see Crown Vics that have been sold off by police agencies that make me do a double take at times, partly because they still have the spotlight by the mirror and the bumper on the front grill.

So yeah it happens. Was he purposely trying to impersonate law enforcement is something we may never know.
The_way67

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
No. Only in Massachusetts HA.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Ronin2081 wrote:
Was he purposely trying to impersonate law enforcement is something we may never know.

Huh!? are you serious? It is clear as day that he wanted a car just like the one he saw in a movie. If he really wanted to impersonate a police to do some stupid prank, then obviously he had the money to do it right if that was his true intention.
oblivious247

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Ronin2081 wrote:
You only see the Police on that car because of the angle. Trust me when I say that it all depends on the angle. During the day time passing by the car you wouldn't notice that. Same with the black cars just like it at night.

Don't forget what I was responding to was your disbelief of a Police car without the lights on top. I would gladly post a pic of one of the undercover cars that don't have the large bumper, lights on top, or Police painted on it but there probably aren't many pictures floating around.

Your average Quincy police car is not very clearly marked as a police car aside from the lights. It's labled police in a couple different spots on a vehicle, but all pretty easy to miss from a distance
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Something that remotely resembles a police car from a distance will get people to react, drivers don't have the time to sit down and study the vehicle's markings, it'll all be on instinct. It doesn't matter if it's all decked out in Transformers mumbo-jumbo or missing the lightbar and antennae, the paint scheme and other details have got to go. End of story.
phifedawg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Ronin2081 wrote:
This work?

Not hard to find police cars without the overhead lights.

I didn't know Steve Jobs was designing cop cars.
an all-white car with police written on the side in white lettering and no siren, seriously, this is a thing now?
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
So was he channeling Transformers or Let's Be Cops?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Something that remotely resembles a police car from a distance will get people to react, drivers don't have the time to sit down and study the vehicle's markings, it'll all be on instinct. It doesn't matter if it's all decked out in Transformers mumbo-jumbo or missing the lightbar and antennae, the paint scheme and other details have got to go. End of story.

Why? AFAIK to impersonate a police officer (that as many people have pointed out, might be undercover) you just need a fake badge, a gun and to clearly state you are member of the police. As pointed earlier at most what people were doing was reduce the speed of their cars, he was not arrested because he was doing the acting to impersonate an authority.
Dfens

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:18 pm Reply with quote
If they only arrested him because his car looked too much like a real police car and it made them mad then he has a strong case to have it thrown out.

As long as he was not wearing a uniform, flashing a badge, using lights and sirens to pull people over his car wasn't properly marked in a way that was actively trying to impersonate a police officer.

They sale old worn our police cruisers all the time at auctions when they have high mileage and they get new cars. You can buy them dirt cheap invest or do the work yourself and have a cheap everyday car.

Only thing they do is remove the lights on top in most cases or at the very least have to be non functional or it's illegal. Remove or disable the sirens, usually remove the cage in the back and most importantly remove all decals and wording that say Police etc.

You still get the battering ram, side search lights, and most of the time the paint scheme is untouched.

So your saying if I paint my car a two tone black on white in such a way that with no wording and it looks like a cop car I too should be arrested for altering my own property? Get real.

Nothing more than a Police department with nothing better to do, and it's going to cost us tax payers when this rich guy goes to court and beats the charges.
Lincolne

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
@mdo7

There are tons of different brands of police cars. like this one for example.

http://www.policecarwebsite.net/pdcar4/pd/brock107.jpg
http://www.policecarwebsite.net/pdcar4/pd/brock106.jpg

check out this website for a lot more of different Massachusetts police cars.
http://www.policecarwebsite.net/st21.html

Last edited by Lincolne on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
So your saying if I paint my car a two tone black on white in such a way that with no wording and it looks like a cop car I too should be arrested for altering my own property? Get real.

Read the article. He didn't paint it with no wording. He put the words "Speed Enforcement" on the back along with a police car number and "K-9". The basic two tone pattern I would think is general enough that it wouldn't be a problem. But as soon as you start slapping on labels like those, any pretense that you're not mimicking a police car goes out the window.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I would think the main factor in the case would be is the car similar enough to the Braintree Police Department's car to cause confusion.

So does that car look too much like the real deal

A decent lawyer should be able to get him off on the charge - he does not have POLICE across the front from other pictures of the car I found in another story - which is a key component of the Braintree cop cars. It also has no top lights, no hood lights, and no flood light by the driver door.

From the front, it would appear to just look like a black Masarati. I don't think even think you could see the white parts since he didn't do the top of the car too.

From the sides - clearly not - unless someone is a complete idiot. Yeah, it has the 911 tag on it, but it also says in large letters Decepticons.

From the back? They could maybe argue that for the "Speed Enforcement" and lack of clear identification of it as a "Decepticon". But, it also lacks the badge that is apparently a key design element on the real cars.

It is a Masarati, but considering we have some police forces out there with insanely expensive sports cars as police cars...not sure that alone would work as an argument.

Still, I think a lawyer should be able to get the charges dismissed.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I do feel sorry for him. And props to him for choosing Barricade, one of the lesser known transformers.

mangamuscle wrote:
Huh!? are you serious? It is clear as day that he wanted a car just like the one he saw in a movie. If he really wanted to impersonate a police to do some stupid prank, then obviously he had the money to do it right if that was his true intention.

Faked video is fake.
Sparvid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Don't know how the US law is written, but I'm fairly sure that in my country, it's legal to drive a "police car" in traffic as long as you 1) don't write the word "police" on it (obvious misspellings are OK) or use any officially used logos, and 2) don't have overhead lights. And of course, you can't claim to be a cop.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6