• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Robot Carnival

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bahamut God

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:23 am Reply with quote
New article? Seems like Old School with a new author.

animenewsnetwork.com/columns/OldSchool.php

Wow, I've been visiting this site for over 3 years now, at least, I know I must have been watching this site years before that. Too bad I only made an account recently...

Still, good to see a good idea come back.
Pyoko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:32 am Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:

The remastered version of Barefoot Gen was released just two months ago so it's not exactly rare. Though it could still fit in the column as an "overlooked" feature.

The Lupin Mamo movie was re-released a couple of years ago as well.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:28 am Reply with quote
I didn't realize this was so rare. I was gonna buy that movie. Well, I guess we have to wait for one of the big wigs to licence it and redub it and release it in it's full uncut glory. I love anthology anime films and I really want to see this. It's a good thing I read this segment because I didn't know the American release was edited.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:25 am Reply with quote
This is a cool idea. I dont think I've seen it. I have heard of Robot Carnival. I imagine they played it on the Sci Fi channel back when SF was cool.
Bosque

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:59 am Reply with quote
¡Nice!
I felt the first paragraph was actually wrote by me Anime hyper, so much truth in those words...
Robot Carnival has been always one of my favourite anime, specially the Umetsu's short and Cloud.
Well, Robot Carnival is now extremely rare in my country (Chile), I remember that the spanish castillian dubbing VHS version was avaible in some videoclubs around 1995... There was no other way to get it but renting it. Then, in 1999 or so, when VHSs were starting to be completely replaced by DVDs, the local videoclubs (the ones which had anime, not bigger ones like blockbusters) started to sell all their VHSs for ridiculous prizes ($1.000 or $2.000 [Chile pesos]) to replace everything with DVDs... And that was the time when the few otakus then had the opportunity to get an original Robot Carnival VHS, the only one opportunity. In all the region were I live there was only one Robot Carnival VHS, we searched in the 13 or so different videoclubs active back then in the different cities here to discover that there was only one copy of that movie Anime hyper Such great times XDXD

As always, sorry for my english, my native language is castillian, bye, take care.

ps: Waiting for the next column Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:51 am Reply with quote
Hey, awesome column! I try to watch a wide range of anime, but I am one of those new fans who came after CB...

My suggestions for middling-rare anime would be Versailles no Bara/Rose of Versailles (especially with the upcoming film and that new Hollywood live action about Marie Antoinette which bears some serious resemblence to the sympathetic portayal in Berubara) or Ribon no Kishi (which I swear to God I saw a dub-only DVD of in the pound shop the other week (sadly I was out of work and really didn't think I should buy it).

*~Pips~*
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:00 am Reply with quote
Jsevakis

I will be contacting you far more often in PM's because there are some old titles but really old stuff that hasn't been released in the states and are true jewels of anime, and I can help you on those in case you haven't seen the show.

Im glad that you started with Robot carnival, but that movie is actually quite popular and a true classic in it's own way, is the "anime 101" that any anime fan must see before all the rest :

-Akira
-Robot carnival
-Ninja scroll
-Macross
-Nausicaa

Robot carnival is a colorful showcase of what the best anime has to offer, and it should be seen by anyone that call himself anime fan.

Im glad you are here jsevakis, now I got this huge list to send it to you, nothing over '89's so no 1990 anime.
dahpaper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:18 am Reply with quote
a fantastic idea for a column. great old anime that has been missed out and forgotten. i'm dying to see if i can get my hands on any of these flicks. what else can we expect???
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:14 am Reply with quote
The first thing I did when I found this site was write an "Answer Man" asking for the status of the R1 DVD release of this movie. As another proud member of the Sci-Fi Channel alum, I have been pining away for it for over a decade. I just find it difficult to justify paying $50+ for an old, used VHS copy of a movie that should have been released on DVD years ago.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:45 am Reply with quote
Thank you so much for this review.
Robot Carnival is one of my favorite Anime films of all time.
Perhaps reawakened interest will mean an audience for a dvd release. Probably not, but I can always hope!

Anyway, thank you!
nenene

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:00 am Reply with quote
Neverwhere wrote:
I know this is a rather silly suggestion, but since I'm feeling ever so nostalgic, I'm going to say it anyway: The Fantastic Adventures of Unico. Very Happy

I third this!

I remember catching on the Disney Channel for all things!
It disturbed and fascinated me, and I only saw it once.
That final scene had stuck with me to this day.

I'd love to see Miss China's Ring covered here. I know it's probably not a rarity, but it's certainly one of those "first titles" that really stuck with me.

But something I've always been deadly curious about is the OAV they made for Bride of Deimos.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:07 am Reply with quote
Nice new column, and fairly relevant as well. I know there's probably no small number of obscure titles from before my fandom I haven't seen. Having been in to anime for only around 10 years there's also probably quite a few obscure titles since I became a fan that I'd appreciate and haven't seen or heard of. I've made it a point to look back to when I wasn't buying as much anime to find titles I've missed which has led me to titles like Crest/Banner of the Stars, Nadia, Figure 17 but nothing really older than that. Will be nice to get a glimpse in to the older, more obscure titles from the anime fandoms infancy in the US.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BleuVII

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:36 am Reply with quote
Old anime? You mean like... Gundam Wing? (j/k please no flames Confused )

Anyway, let me add my support of this column. It is an EXCELLENT idea, and I will read it every time it is released.

Now I just need to find Robot Carnival. Does anyone know of a Region 3 release? I'm based in South Korea, and I might be able to get my hands on it. If I can, I will buy it and release a Japanese raw for someone to fansub. Now I have to make an unscheduled trip to the deparment store... Mad
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:39 am Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:

Im glad that you started with Robot carnival, but that movie is actually quite popular and a true classic in it's own way, is the "anime 101" that any anime fan must see before all the rest :

-Akira
-Robot carnival
-Ninja scroll
-Macross
-Nausicaa

While I'm not terribly fond of Ninja Scroll (The Dagger of Kamui was more my bag), I would say that a decisive majority of the current crop of convention-attending anime fans has not seen all of those (if any). The megapopular things of my day are practically unknown now; you'd be surprised to find out how most people in anime these days have NOT seen Akira.

I guarantee you that most anime fans do not know what Robot Carnival is, or have heard the name but not seen it. Its airing on the Sci-Fi Channel was like, a decade ago. Then again, Pokemon's been on for over a decade. The nature of anime fandom is such that the creation of a "required" viewing list is ultimately impossible. That is a good thing, in case I'm sounding overly bitter by writing this out.

jsevakis wrote:
I would love to hear suggestions on future titles for the column.

Comedy Belladonna of Sadness option. Super Comedy Odin: Photon Space Sailer Starlight option.

I think more people need to know about stuff like Bobby's Girl, Time Stranger (the Rintaro one), the Phoenix OAVs, Blazing Transfer Student (though perhaps you'd do best to talk about Tomorrow's Joe first), and actually if I keep writing things I'll be here all day since forgotten/generally ignored anime seems to dominate my life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

Of course, R8 and R* are not applicable to anime releases.

Sure they are.

There are anime pilots that have been made and never released. I remember some examples of fairly well known franchises being animated and the anime never being released, but I don't have time to dig up proof (and unfortunately I can't remember which titles Anime smallmouth;;; sorry). If anyone is inclined to dig something up to make my point for me, that'd be great...

BTW, I like your idea for the Soviet Military rating...

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8