• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 6 Greatest School Teachers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:59 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame Onsen Mark from Urusei Yatsura didn't make the cut. He's one of the few English teachers in anime that sounds reasonably competent at actually speaking English (he has a strong accent, to be sure, but Ikemizu Michichiro's performance as Onsen Mark is convincing enough to make me think he has some actual command of the language and isn't just reading English words spelt out phonetically in the script like so many other seiyuu playing English teachers seem to be doing).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
heroictype

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one at all has mentioned Mr. Cat, though to be fair, it's debatable how "great" he is. He did care about his students, at least, and I would say he's a noteworthy anime teacher.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see my first choice was on the list at number one. He's the teacher I thought of when I saw the headline.

For the poll, I voted for Gintama. While I'm excited to Soma (and some others) I'm up to date on Soma, but haven't read much of any Gintama, so I know it will be just more of the same great hilarity that I haven't yet experienced.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Man, sometimes I'd wish they'd animate the entirety of the Onizuka manga to be more faithful to it, and then get Steven Blum to voice Onizuka again in the dub.

Considering how many different live action adaptations exist for the manga/series, I hope they can make another anime series that completely adapts the original manga (and other series for its spin-offs) Smile
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
It's a shame Onsen Mark from Urusei Yatsura didn't make the cut. He's one of the few English teachers in anime that sounds reasonably competent at actually speaking English (he has a strong accent, to be sure, but Ikemizu Michichiro's performance as Onsen Mark is convincing enough to make me think he has some actual command of the language and isn't just reading English words spelt out phonetically in the script like so many other seiyuu playing English teachers seem to be doing).

I think he loses points for failing to prevent chaos. Smile

The annoyingly "inspirational" substitute teacher from Ranma 1/2 would also fail to make the cut.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
It's not murder, it's assassination! And clearly self-defense!
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Onizuka was always going to be #1, but why 6 instead of 7? How could you forget Negi Springfield?

This. The list would obviously be invalid if Onizuka was no where on it. However, I'm disappointed that the list forgets to include Shounen Magazine second-best teacher. Is it because the anime is disappointing when compared to the manga?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:06 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
I think he loses points for failing to prevent chaos. :)

Onsen Mark handles alien battles and mischievous youmas creating chaos in his classroom better than most anime teachers would. I appreciate his resolve and perseverance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TG72

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I think Index/Railgun's Komoe Tsukuyomi deserves a spot. She cares a lot about her students (you frequently see her checking on them outside of class). She also really enjoys teaching itself, as you can see in her scenes with Toma and Index.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:04 am Reply with quote
Shame Illich Guardiola isn't on the list. Hey, it's anime-related drama. Laughing

Well OK, Washu can be a good teacher when she takes a break from her experiments....... or maybe it is because of her "experiments." Wink
kokonoe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
what, no Zetsubou-sensei?
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:17 am Reply with quote
Glad somebody else mentioned Nube. I guess Hell Teacher suffers from the fact it was never released in US, and its an older show.

I love Mr. Despair, but Id wager he is more likely to top the worst teacher list.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:17 am Reply with quote
Glad somebody else mentioned Nube. I guess Hell Teacher suffers from the fact it was never released in US, and its an older show.

I love Mr. Despair, but Id wager he is more likely to top the worst teacher list. Besides he probably gets busted for marrying all his students.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:39 am Reply with quote
I'm amazed at the teachers on this list. One of them is a weird alien being that obliterated half the moon! I had no problems with many of the others. They were okay. On the poll front,I voted for "Blood Blockade Battlefront." I liked the manga. I hope the anime's just as good.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:06 am Reply with quote
And no Satan's Toenail either!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5