• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A Chivalry of the Failed Knight Light Novels Get Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LucioV24

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:16 am Reply with quote
I know that Rakudai has adaptation sooner or later and this is a great news for me, because I've read the LN and manga too and the story seems generic harem but it isn't it has some interesting plot in the middle of vol 2 and vol 3, for now I had read until vol 3 and it is not a harem, the male MC likes a onii sama(mahouka) but he has feelings(he is not a robot) and interesting past.
So at least could you try read before call show trashy and generic.
swu07jlm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Huh, another LN adaptation about an unremarkable dude and his super-powered red-haired ladyfriend. Is it so much to ask that our generic LN waifus have, say, yellow or purple hair for a change?
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
YumeHunter wrote:
I have heard this exact synopsis way too many times to start thinking positively. It might be somewhat different as some of you say but it certainly doesn't sound different at all. Oh well I guess I wait until I hear thoughts of the first episodes then decide if I will watch it. But for now this doesn't look exciting at all.

yeah but the synopsis does not really matter the story develops and changes later on
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
swu07jlm wrote:
Huh, another LN adaptation about an unremarkable dude and his super-powered red-haired ladyfriend. Is it so much to ask that our generic LN waifus have, say, yellow or purple hair for a change?

how is it generic there are not a lot of adaptions or any that i know of that feature a red twintail heroine as a main character and potential love interest
Broly The Saiyan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
the only series that i know of that are similar to this series is absolute duo
other than that it just shares the same genre as most other series but still isn't bad don't know why you guys are calling it generic since not many series are the same as this other than the genre
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:07 pm Reply with quote
A failed knight light? NOOOOOOOOOOO! So tragic! Knight lights help me sleep at night.

*pervy grin* Wink

I predict that this light novel will become the new meme to rival Twilight.

New show premise: She's a bumbling, sweet-hearted high school freshman who lost her mother last year to a tragic disease and now lives on her own. He's the most popular, richest guy in school who's also a complete jackass. She accidentally spills coffee on him during an after school waitress job to make ends meet, and promptly earns his wrath and eternal scorn. Watch this slow-moving romance as two incompatible people suffer through jealous psycho sisters, the romantic rival (or two or three), some sort of rape plot device (probably), and more miscommunication pitfalls than you shake a stick at as she changes him over time into a respectable boyfriend.

Still a better premise than Knight Light*.

New show premise: Generic loser Joe Schmoe has an incurable condition. Every time he walks near a girl he trips and falls into her knockers/knickers and proceeds to get smacked around for it. It's an awful situation to be in. Until the day a race of big-boobed female aliens arrive whose one weakness are unintentional molesters, which rewrites their programming from aggressive invaders to romantic fantasy girlfriends. Now he lives with a bunch of women who chase him around and constantly try to feed him their home-cooked meals, which pisses off his tsundere childhood friend whom he made a promise to marry at the tender age of 2. Watch this slapstick harem comedy as a bunch of females fight and pine over a virginal blank slate who will never get beyond 2nd base because that would ruin the status quo.

New show premise: Bug Drone has had a dream since he was little. He wants to be the greatest Ninja-Pirate-Wizard-Ace-Rocket-Driver this side of the Milky Way galaxy. But everyone keeps telling him that a hyperactive dunce like him won't get beyond flipping burgers. One day, a beautiful girl falls from the sky and lands on Bug, who is saved from death when his dormant Wizard powers activate. You are the son of the legendary Ninja-Pirate-Wizard-Ace-Rocket-Driver Boll Wheevil, says the mysterious girl. I am your father's ship, The Pezticide, and it is your destiny to ride me through space.

*Yes, I know "light" is not part of the name of the light novel series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
I had never heard of this light novel, but unlike some posters whose motto is "judge a light novel by it's sinopsis" I searched and just started reading the scanlation and it has some strong The Irregular at Magic High School vibes, heck in this universe spoiler[Japan won ww2]

That just makes it sound *worse*!

Why? (I am sincerely curious)

Quote:
I feel like the anime production world is in a light novel bubble, and it's going to mess up the whole industry when it pops!

You do realize that makes you another of those gloom types who hold billboards that say "The end is coming! Repent *now* and you will get a 50% discount on your sins tab"? As far as I can see the only way this bubble will "burst" is when Kadokawa really runs out of new light novels to convert into one cour anime series. I do not think such turn of events will mean it will "mess up the industry", maybe it will shrink a little but since we are at an all time high in anime series output, I do not think it would be catastrophic and who knows, maybe Kadowaka will simply shift into making second and third seasons of older series or start animating older "classic" light novels.

Last edited by mangamuscle on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Somewhat interesting plot idea + cute character designs = I might as well check it out.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably check this out, but I have a feeling this is another one of those 'lets act like the MC is weak because he is lacking in something, but watch him stomp everyone'. Though that seems a lot less used than the more common 'the MC is the only guy in the world who can XYZ'.

But hey, I will be pleasantly surprised if my expectation is false and the MC is legitimately weak.

Also, I agree with what others have said that it isn't the premise that is most important, but what you actually do with it.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:35 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
But hey, I will be pleasantly surprised if my expectation is false and the MC is legitimately weak.

I am starting to feel like an old man that no longer gets what is the latest fad. AFAIK people were really fed up with the wimpy (reads as pathetic) main character that somehow is popular with the opposite sex. Now you tell me you are expecting the protagonist to be your average wuss? I give up, I no longer understand you people.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:51 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I'll probably check this out, but I have a feeling this is another one of those 'lets act like the MC is weak because he is lacking in something, but watch him stomp everyone'. Though that seems a lot less used than the more common 'the MC is the only guy in the world who can XYZ'.

You are half-right with both claims; the MC has an attack called spoiler[the weakest Strongest For One Minute, in which, for one minute, he gains ultra-strength, but is left exhausted for the rest of the day]. Also, the MC isn't "in the rags" due to his ability or strength (or lack-thereof), but due to spoiler[a political set-up since the MC is from one of those fictional Japanese families who control everything from behind the scenes. And because the MC wasn't as talented as they had hoped he would be, and since he went against the wishes of the family, his family asked the school's top-brass to create an unfair environment and conditions that guarantee he'll be the lowest-ranking student].

So while technically he is the weakest, spoiler[it doesn't mean that he actually is].

Last edited by Hameyadea on Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
jamseclipse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:53 pm Reply with quote
It is kinda embarrassing how hyped I got when I saw this. I love this light novel and the wait for the anime is going to be brutal.
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:

You are half-right with both claims; the MC has an attack called spoiler[the weakest Strongest For One Minute, in which, for one minute, he gains ultra-strength, but is left exhausted for the rest of the day]. Also, the MC isn't "in the rags" to do his ability or strength (or lack-thereof), but due to spoiler[a political set-up since the MC is from one of those fictional Japanese families who control everything from behind the scenes. And because the MC wasn't as talented as they had hoped he would be, and since he went against the wishes of the family, his family asked the school's top-brass to create an unfair environment and conditions that guarantee he'll be the lowest-ranking student].

So while technically he is the weakest, spoiler[it doesn't mean that he actually is].

So, Mahouka, basically?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
drifty1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Wow, what an original premise...

But the manga adaptation is pretty good, so hopes for the anime.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:48 pm Reply with quote
A LN/harem LN where the lead guy and girl have acknowledged their feelings this early on is something that seems out of the norm since other series it can take more volumes for such to happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4