• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paprika Screening in LA This Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Ok so I saw Paprika on Thursday, and there was a huge crowd there..... Wink. Anyways the six of us in attendance were certainly treated to quite a movie. Like noted above the main title score is one of the best scores I've heard in such a time, but then again Paranoia Agent has a great soundtrack as well. Anyways trying to find the theater is sort of an adventure itself. When you turn on Figueroa you'll see the theater sign and also a parking the world trade center parking....oh yea park there btw, the theater will validate your parking permit for up to two hours, I didn't have to pay at all since Thursday was a holiday, but if your going any other day your going to pay a pretty penny if you don't. Anyways if you look at the front of the Marriot hotel to the left you will noticed stairs going down to the middle of nowhere, that where the theater is. Also the theater didn't open until 9:45ish, so if you show up later (like I did) you have to wait outside, but you can always sit in the hotel next door. I am looking forward to starting a Paprika thread in the anime section and being able to talk to someone about the movie.....god it was so sweet.

Delta

P.S. To the other movie goers on Thursday I was the guy (Sporting a Blue long sleeve shirt) who drag his girlfriend along....so "Hi!"

Last edited by Deltakiral on Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the parking info Delta, you saved me quite a bit of hassle to try and find the best places. *G*

I'm so excited for tomorrow! And I look forward to our discussion here in the forum. Smile
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Delta: Did they charge you 8 bucks for a ticket, too? Because they did for me, even though their site says 6 bucks for shows before 6 p.m. Mad
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Delta: Did they charge you 8 bucks for a ticket, too? Because they did for me, even though their site says 6 bucks for shows before 6 p.m. Mad

Whoa.....$8? Did the showtime board say 6 dollars? I paid $7 for student with an ID, or 14 actually since I paid for my gf.

Actually let me quote the theater policy
Quote:
Bargain Policy*: Monday through Friday all shows prior to 6:00pm. Saturday, Sunday and Holidays the First Show Only. (NOT for special engagements)

Which makes me think that I got hosed, or perhaps Paprika was consider a special engagement, in which case that makes some sense I guess......seeing as it only played for 6 days this week.
Nermal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:53 am Reply with quote
Thanks for all the info on how to get there...I get lost pretty easily, so I think I'll go a little early. I might be wearing a PacMan shirt if anyone wants to say hi.
Thinkersblock07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:58 am Reply with quote
Looks like I can't make it tomorrow. Sad
Man, I really wanted to see it too. I've never seen any of Satoshi Kon's works, so I thought I'd finally be able to see it...Guess it's time to rent the DVDs. Hope you guys have fun! Very Happy
The Spatula

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:20 am Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Anyways the six of us in attendance were certainly treated to quite a movie.
P.S. To the other movie goers on Thursday I was the guy (Sporting a Blue long sleeve shirt) who drag his girlfriend along....so "Hi!"

I counted 7 people total =P

Anyway, I was the guy with the Sony Clie reading before the movie. I figured that was you, but I was a bit too shy to say hi. "Hi"

I really enjoyed the movie. I paid $8 - no student discount for me Anime cry - but I thought it was worth it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:02 am Reply with quote
Wow, almost 10 people who'd wake up and deal with traffic to see a movie which would probably play at a better venue in L.A. in March. I'm guessing that's Kon's entire fanbase right there. (Kidding.) Laughing I walked all the way down from Sunset + Figueroa to get there, which was partly why I was late. (I might have been on time if the street didn't suddenly divide three places and confuse me. But that's Downtown for ya.) To tell the truth, I'm wondering if anyone influential at the Academy even lives there. Or is Sony planning private screenings later this month...?
Ranmah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:30 am Reply with quote
I just saw the showing today. The film was cool. What was even cooler was that Satoshi Kon made a surprise appearence. I got an autograph from him.

The film was cool. Was the US showing using English Subtitles? I understood about 20% of the dialogue.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:
I just saw the showing today. The film was cool. What was even cooler was that Satoshi Kon made a surprise appearence. I got an autograph from him.

The film was cool. Was the US showing using English Subtitles? I understood about 20% of the dialogue.

Yea Japanese Audio track with English Sub, where did you see the movie at where you get his autograph?
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Delta: I think he saw it in Japan, since it premieres in Shinjuiku today.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:42 pm Reply with quote
you all suck...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ranmah

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:

Yea Japanese Audio track with English Sub, where did you see the movie at where you get his autograph?

Well that's cool. I met Kon-san at a theater in Ikebukuro. It was a small theater (less than 100 seating). I guess he had a big premiere at a Shinjuku theater.

He signed some Paprika flyers and handed them out to some unsuspecting people, including me.

I bought the program book: Y800. I also bought the soundtrack: Y2800. Meeting Satoshi Kon and getting a signed flyer: Priceless.
akada michige

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:10 pm Reply with quote
like Dargonxtc said, "you all suck...."
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:58 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Delta: I think he saw it in Japan, since it premieres in Shinjuiku today.

That would make sense since I didn't see him in LA....I would of ask for his autograph had he been there, but he wasn't.

Dargonxtc wrote:
you all suck...

Much love Wink. don't worry it will be available for normal viewing (at a normal theater) next year.......

Ranmah wrote:
I bought the program book: Y800. I also bought the soundtrack: Y2800. Meeting Satoshi Kon and getting a signed flyer: Priceless.

Now that would be a completely random mastercard ad to see on TV, but damn would be cool....lucky you

Delta
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4