• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Haikyu!! Second Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hooliganj

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
lossthief wrote:
my favorite sports manga, Cross Manage

I'm not seeing that in the Encyclopedia. Is it really obscure or did you mean Cross Game? If not, what sport is it about?

It's about a Girl's Lacrosse team with a male manager, which is where the title comes from.

I don't know if I would call it obscure, but it had a brief run in Weekly Shounen Jump before moving to one of the monthly magazines to finish the story.
Elves

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
EPISODE 8

Quote:
While the chick cracking his shell or leaving the nest metaphor is getting kind of old, it is a good one for the protagonists as they keep growing and evolving.

I will agree that in the anime the references to chicks hatching is a little thick, but it's not that way in the manga at all. That's because it's broken up with so many more interactions and time spent between Tsukishima and the boys from the other teams during their after-practice practice. (The flashback in the anime where Nekoma's captain was teaching Tsuki about the different styles of blocking was a whole mini-story in and of itself in the manga!)

I understand there are sacrifices to be made in order to move the story along at a brisk pace, but I'm actually disappointed there hasn't been more development of that friendship built out of respect during those practice times/scenes.spoiler[Although Hinata has yet to join the group, so maybe all that opposing team friendship development is still waiting in the wings?]

I'm really glad Yamaguchi got some more character building screen time. (I've always though his friendship with Tsuki was a bit strange, even in the manga, but it does make sense given their background.) Yamaguchi has always been the underdogs of the underdogs to me since he knows his limits, but is still diligently working hard to do what he can. I can totally understand what it would feel like to be the only 1st year not to make the team as a regular! spoiler[Now to await the big scene with the floater serve fiasco and more character growth for Yamaguchi. That is if it isn't cut down to barely nothing. *crosses fingers*]
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
Elves wrote:
I will agree that in the anime the references to chicks hatching is a little thick, but it's not that way in the manga at all. That's because it's broken up with so many more interactions and time spent between Tsukishima and the boys from the other teams during their after-practice practice. (The flashback in the anime where Nekoma's captain was teaching Tsuki about the different styles of blocking was a whole mini-story in and of itself in the manga!)

I understand there are sacrifices to be made in order to move the story along at a brisk pace, but I'm actually disappointed there hasn't been more development of that friendship built out of respect during those practice times/scenes.spoiler[Although Hinata has yet to join the group, so maybe all that opposing team friendship development is still waiting in the wings?]

Okay, I just reread the part of the manga that covers Tsukishima's arc, and honestly, I'm a little confused as to what you mean. The way the events played out in the anime during this little arc is pretty much the exact same way it's played out in the manga, almost panel-for-panel.

I'm also confused about this part:

Quote:
(The flashback in the anime where Nekoma's captain was teaching Tsuki about the different styles of blocking was a whole mini-story in and of itself in the manga!)

There wasn't a mini-story between Tsukki and Nekoma's captain. What we saw in this episode was exactly how it was shown in the manga. Are you referring to spoiler[the 3-on-3 match that includes Lev and Hinata?] If you are, then that hasn't happened yet in the part of the manga that the anime's covered. We just need to be patient.

I apologize if any of this comes off as rude or anything, but I just don't want the anime-only viewers to be under the impression that the anime butchers the manga, when in fact, that's VERY far from the case! Anime hyper
Elves

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:26 am Reply with quote
Kiddo626 wrote:
Okay, I just reread the part of the manga that covers Tsukishima's arc, and honestly, I'm a little confused as to what you mean.

Admittedly, it has been a while since I read the manga and I didn't cross reference these scenes before posting because my brain insists that there was more/a deeper impact to those after-practice practice matches with Tsuki. The whole scenario in the anime seemed rushed to me, but it may just be my perception. I probably soaked in the scenes and didn't rush anything in my head, totally absorbing every little nuance, which does happen to avid readers of any story. Anime smile + sweatdrop

Just wanted to mention that I did say that there is still more to come spoiler[once Hinata joins the matches.] Wink So I'm well aware that I might be trying to impose things that haven't actually happened yet as well. Wink

Kiddo626 wrote:
I apologize if any of this comes off as rude or anything, but I just don't want the anime-only viewers to be under the impression that the anime butchers the manga, when in fact, that's VERY far from the case! Anime hyper

You're fine - no worries. Smile And...HEAVEN FORBID! I didn't think I was giving a "it's butchered" impression. That was totally not my intention! I just wanted to share my perception of things, which may or may not be acutely accurate so it seems. Anime smile + sweatdrop *cough* I do like the anime, and will continue to watch/support, but I think that by reading ahead in the manga I'm not quite as impressed as I want to be now. Sadly. (For me. hehe)
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:35 pm Reply with quote
You know, its weird to think about, but they have spent nearly half of this anime season in training. Kinda glad they're getting to games now. And since we only have another 14 episodes, it looks like this season's gonna end spoiler[with their second official game against Seijou]. It's a weird parallel to the end of the first season.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:51 pm Reply with quote
GlassesMan wrote:
You know, its weird to think about, but they have spent nearly half of this anime season in training. Kinda glad they're getting to games now. And since we only have another 14 episodes, it looks like this season's gonna end spoiler[with their second official game against Seijou]. It's a weird parallel to the end of the first season.

Unless they seriously rush through the other games, I'm not sure that we'll get that far. We're halfway through the season and have barely gone through 3 volumes of the manga, and spoiler[there are at least four games to go through before the rematch with Seijou]. I think it's more likely we end with spoiler[Seijou vs Datekou] and get an S3 announced right off the bat. At least that's what I'm hoping for because I spoiler[want more time with Oikawa, and if S2 covers the Seijou match, we won't get to see much of him for S3]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Episode 13
I was aware of the "life lessons" content of the episode, but I still rated it highly because that was all overshadowed by the series' ability to effortlessly manipulate my emotions without me resenting it. Smile There was quite a bit of humor in this, and while pretty much everything they do puts a smile on my face, they had me laughing out loud. But they also have this really uncanny knack for making me dislike a character one minute, feel sorry for them the next, and end up in their corner by the end. Ace of Diamond is pretty good at that too, but it's a piker compared to Haikyuu!!.
Genos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Aoba Joshi... Aoba Jōsai.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2.14

I think one of the things they keep doing that I always enjoy to a ridiculous degree is showing us how the players look to people who don't know them. In a previous episode observers were sizing up all the intimidating Karasuno players and kind of freaking out, only to have it revealed they were trying not to throw up. Here the scene outside the men's room was another case of outsiders misinterpreting what they were seeing. I eat that up with a spoon. Very Happy

Whenever they show the teams rolling down the hallways, I'm always reminded of this shot from Tarzan (at 2:10, if it doesn't jump). Laughing
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Genos wrote:

What I wanted to point out as well. ^^;; "Joshi" would indicate that it's an all girls school or the girls team. Wink
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:36 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:
Genos wrote:

What I wanted to point out as well. ^^;; "Joshi" would indicate that it's an all girls school or the girls team. Wink

Well, Oikawa is quite pretty.

There was more humor in this episode than usual; there's even a "blink or you'll miss it" moment where Tanaka gets bonked by a volleyball in the background. Anime hyper Since this will be the last time Kurosano will be able to take on Aoba perhaps they want to lighten up the mood before things get serious. I was having a giggle fit when Hinata got stuck among the three leading school's best players at the bathroom; poor guy.

Glad that Tsukki is more aware of his pessimism. Typically, these sort of characters are ignored in favor of the more jolly types or dismissed as the wet blanket. While not my favorite, along with Yamaguchi, the team are coming closer together as a unit. Yachi's getting better as well~
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:17 am Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:
there's even a "blink or you'll miss it" moment where Tanaka gets bonked by a volleyball in the background.

LOVED that moment! XDDD Both the eye catches were cute too. Ah, it's the little things...
leongsh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
From Episode 15 review wrote:
Maybe it will mean we'll get a third season.

There will be a third season. Guaranteed. This show is a lock for another season. It's very popular in Japan and has tonnes of merchandise being produced. The manga is sufficiently ahead that only 2 questions are left, both inter-related:

1. How far a buffer does the manga need?
2. How long after the 2nd season ends before the next season starts?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 3:47 am Reply with quote
As usual, a really fun episode. Someone might've mentioned this already, but I only just now noticed that Terushima is playing with a tongue piercing, which seems a tad reckless considering you never know when you're going to get an uppercut from a ball or someone's head (esp. given how erratically this team plays).

It was also really nice to see some of the other players get some screen time.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:26 am Reply with quote
Third season, pleeease I hope! I'm behind a few episodes now, but I like this show a lot. Even if it is moving slower than last season the development is interesting enough to stay around. Especially with characters I care about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6