• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Mobile Suit Gundam Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buster D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:

The episode in question has been barred by Tomino from release anywhere

Except for a little country called Japan, of course. God forbid any of those barbarian gaijin see it, right hage?
MKVarana

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:08 am Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
MKVarana wrote:
Ugh, we're still missing an episode? The order page says nothing about missing an episode, so I'd be pretty mad if I had ordered this yet.

Looks like my R2 DVD box sets are still not getting a US replacement... Sad

The episode in question has been barred by Tomino from release anywhere, which is why it was not on the BEI set, and not on ours. I fought for this when we got started and received a resounding "no" and a polite push to not continue to ask. While I apologize it's not included, there was absolutely nothing I can do. Blame Tomino.

Well, thanks for trying, at the very least.
mrsatan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
The fact that the set is missing the 'real' episode 15 is not a dealbreaker for me. I have watched the episode and I thought it was boring and unnecessary. I can understand why it's a dealbreaker for others but honestly I don't think I want to see that episode again anyway.

Yeah, well, that's the thing. You at least got to see it. I never did. I'd like the chance to get to see this series as it was originally intended. The series has never been released here uncut and subtitled so I've never bothered with it. It looks as if that trend will continue.

If I'm going to have to settle with an edited version of MS Gundam, I might as well stick with the Movie Trilogy.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:30 pm Reply with quote
2000s dubs weren't cheesy. This was the Golden Age of Dubbing. Sure, this dub sucked compared to most dubs of this period, but this is an Ocean dub. With the exception of Black Lagoon, Char's Counterattack and Death Note, Ocean dubs are poor. Wordfit made the voice acting awkward in those old dubs.

But other than that, most dubs in this era were good. The age of very solid dubs may have restarted when Tiger and Bunny came about, but remember the history. From 1995-2007 was when dubs were great on average.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Space_Number_1 wrote:
Quote:
Everyone should watch the movie trilogy at least once. The tv series is incomplete, meandering with no idea of what it's central story concept is and irrelevant and non canon (according to Sunrise).

What do you mean incomplete? Both the movie and tv series follow the exact same story down to the same ending.

No they don't. The tv series is very different from the movie trilogy.
Different not in animation of course, since most of the film version is just the tv series footage minus all the filler episodes and except for the third part of the trilogy that's basically reanimated from zero. What's is different is the tone of the story. The central concept of Newtype isn't even developed in the tv series until the very last couple of episodes (and it pops out of nowhere with no justification whatsoever) whereas it is the central concept from the start in the movie trilogy. The tv series is just your super robot 70s era standard fare. You cannot destory the Gundam and it has it's very super robot-esque gattai component. That is definitely absent from the movie trilogy and it's intended to be that way. By the time Tomino/Yas did the films they wanted to take out all the super robot elements of the Gundam tv series.
So while the 2 share some things, they are very different tone wise.
The movie trilogy deprecates the tv series, unless you're a completist. But if you want a well designed story you'll go directly to the movie trilogy. You ain't losing nothing by not watching the tv series. Nothing at all.

Last edited by Cptn_Taylor on Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
The TV show is not canon. The movies are, hence why the movie version is the basis of a flashback in Char's Counterattack.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Buster D wrote:
shawnek wrote:

The episode in question has been barred by Tomino from release anywhere

Except for a little country called Japan, of course. God forbid any of those barbarian gaijin see it, right hage?

It's possible that in Japan Tomino isn't the only one to decide on that particular episode whereas he has the final word when it comes to presenting Gundam to the rest of the world. And frankly speaking people are making a mountain out of a mouse. The episode in question is shit. Badly drawn, badly animated even for the low standard of the era. I've seen it on tv and it's nothing special. It isn't even in the movie trilogy which is canon so people need to chill out. It's like complaining because someone forgot to include poop in some special edition thingy.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:49 pm Reply with quote
In fairness, Episode 15 of the Japanese run is an entirely superfluous episode where Amuro runs into a Zeon deserter who takes care of war orphans on an island. It has zero bearing on the overall story, adding nothing to the main narrative overall and never referred to again by anyone. It would have been neat to have it on the Blu-Ray, since it's part of the series, but it's not a dealbreaker whatsoever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:17 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
2000s dubs weren't cheesy. This was the Golden Age of Dubbing. Sure, this dub sucked compared to most dubs of this period, but this is an Ocean dub. With the exception of Black Lagoon, Char's Counterattack and Death Note, Ocean dubs are poor. Wordfit made the voice acting awkward in those old dubs.

But other than that, most dubs in this era were good. The age of very solid dubs may have restarted when Tiger and Bunny came about, but remember the history. From 1995-2007 was when dubs were great on average.

Huh, you think the dub improved greatly for Char's Counterattack? What about Seed or 00? I personally loved 00's dub.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
johnnysasaki wrote:
Amazing how Tomino STILL doesn't allow us to see a certain episode.Well,I won't allow him to see my money either,

With all the royalty checks he collects I don't think he could care less.

the-antihero wrote:

On a more serious note, why does First Gundam get pointed at for having crude animation

Presumably because of it's iconic status (amongst UC Gundam fans......or rather some parts of the UC fanbase) despite having so much /QUALITY out the wazoo.
leonard.lim.944023

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Just like transformers G1.
traveling

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:23 am Reply with quote
I can see why people want to have a 100% complete series, but there's no need to throw a temper tantrum over a poorly drawn filler episode. I'm pretty sure this Blu-ray is better than whatever has been released in R1 before, and you can watch the episode somewhere online if you really want to see it.
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:03 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
the-antihero wrote:

On a more serious note, why does First Gundam get pointed at for having crude animation

Presumably because of it's iconic status (amongst UC Gundam fans......or rather some parts of the UC fanbase) despite having so much /QUALITY out the wazoo.

But still, almost none of the anime in that decade hold up at all to the point where they've aged badly even in the 80's, which is strange because many 80's anime are still watchable even today. I don't disregard a show because of age but I actually do get it when people are unable to watch Ashita no Joe and First Gundam. And don't get me started on Cleopatra

Speaking of Transformers, it had potential to look good but Hasbro doesn't care about the TF fiction and shows, it was rushed and...AKOM!!! It happened a 2nd time with TF Armada, despite having been directed by the guy who did AD POLICE FILES!! And the plot and characters more than passable, the animation was stiff, the dubbing was rushed, all because Hasbro doesn't care.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:20 am Reply with quote
traveling wrote:
I can see why people want to have a 100% complete series, but there's no need to throw a temper tantrum over a poorly drawn filler episode. I'm pretty sure this Blu-ray is better than whatever has been released in R1 before, and you can watch the episode somewhere online if you really want to see it.

This. I had to download it to watch it. In all of my rewatches of First Gundam, I've never felt the urge to watch it again. Its non essential to the story, just a short stop in Amuros journey.

I saw the other day that UK got a nice little art box to hold their Blu ray cases in. Also read that their part two is coming with a booklet. If Shawne is reading this, are you and Sunrise interested in including any sort of perks for the collectors out there? These releases look great as is, but a little something bonus would be nice. Art box, booklet, postcard, etc. Nothing too crazy.

EDIT: forgot to include in my first post but I want to thank you guys for using the newly drawn artwork from the Turn A and First Gundam Blu ray boxes as your cover /inner jacket selections. The piece of art from Turn A part two is one of my favorites!
MrBonk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:40 am Reply with quote
I'd hardly call the Eng over acting, simply because it feels more in line with a period accurate dub in every way. Which is one of the best qualities it has going for it.

I do fear for IQ though, I was afraid somehow Sunrise would force them to reduce the quality somehow in fear of Reverse Importation.

For the same set of Episodes, the Italy BDs are on 4 discs. The Japanese BDs are on 4 discs as well.

Unless they were all Single Layer (Pretty sure this is dual layer when I looked), the only logical argument I can think of is that Sunrise had something to do with this.
I'd doubt the cost of Manufacturing could possibly be responsible for cutting the count in half this far into the game. (BDs have been out for around a decade now)

Or maybe the compression was just more efficient, or the other BDs used a different codec than this release.

For example, with Turn-A , they shipped each half of the series on like 6 Dual Layers EACH. Which was seriously surprising but not so on the other hand considering we are in a different DVD region than Japan..so RI wouldn't be an issue. (Considering the Japanese DVD box came out in 2007 and is still retailing for around 80$ each on Amazon.jp)

If you REALLY want to talk about the story being complete, then there is no contest, The Origin and the Novel trilogy trump the compilation movies by far.

However, all 4 versions of the story are worth watching. I'll never tire of it!

I hope eventually we can get the BD versions of the movies too with all the different dubs included...if Sunrise allows it for a non-obscene price tag.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4