• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Santaman! [2006-12-08]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WEKS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:21 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Ken Akamatsu stepped in and told Xebec that they were all a bunch of screwups when he saw the original Negima TV series

I would pay money to see him step in to Xebec offices and say that (yes, I do realize that probably not what happened).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:01 am Reply with quote
I thought "Slutgirl" would have been a better prezzy for Uncle Bob, but I then thought he might actually enjoy it, and that he would be constantly asking you for your opinions, and recommandations. Wink

I love seeing all these "if I were a parent I'd do this, or I'd do that". Everyone's a "perfect parent" until they actually become one. Also these "It's the parents fault for not keeping track of what their children are watching." You mean like your parents who probably don't know that you are illegally downloading H-fansubs that has given you such an indepth knowledge of such titles, on the PC, or laptop attached to the internet that they spent big bucks to give you? Laughing

This vindicates my reluctance to let my 14-year-old have his own laptop in his room. Thanks guy's, for releaving me of the guilt, and showing me that I am afterall a "good parent", though my son has some rather choice descriptions of you that he learned in the school playground. Wink
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:24 am Reply with quote
If i remember correctly the Creator of Full Metal Panic, works very closely with Kyoto Animation, to the point where he's even helped out with other animes.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:27 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
If i remember correctly the Creator of Full Metal Panic, works very closely with Kyoto Animation, to the point where he's even helped out with other animes.

Look at the bottom line of his credits.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blaise

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:55 am Reply with quote
I think some people might want to check for sarcasm and satire(weak though it may have been) Rolling Eyes
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote
Gee, and I thought this was going to be a "let's all hug Answerman" love-fest. Well, consider yourself hugged. No tongue action, I promise. Unless... ? Nevermind. Your column is one of the few things in the whole contact-with-dark-fandom side of the biz that I miss when it's not there. You write well. You're funny. (always big in my book) And most of the time, you know what the hell you're talking about. Holiday kudos, you big lug. Wink
zliplus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:09 am Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
How about Trinity Blood for the atheist relative/friend for a future Gfts for people you Hate column/section?

Why would atheists hate Trinity Blood? Atheists, being more of a minority belief group (in North America, anyway), are generally tolerant (or indifferent, perhaps) of religions and wouldn't have any problem with Trinity Blood. I think it'd be more likely for a religious (i.e. stereotypical radical fundamentalist) person to have issues with Trinity Blood, for the heresy of perverting Christianity and the Church.
Eos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:11 am Reply with quote
rpb3000 wrote:
You know, it occurs to me that good old classic American cartoons were riddled with senseless violence. How many times was Daffy Duck's beak shot off again? And Tom must have plenty more than 9 lives...

I saw an episode once where Jerry was setting up things around the house while Tom was sleeping to convince him that he was trying to subconsciously kill himself. Talk about disturbing...

The gift guide was hilarious, I think every anime fans has at least one relative like this.

How about...
Hippie Aunt- Valley of the Wind, she'll warm up to anime if she thinks it's all like this. Preaching to the choir.
Conservative Uncle- Sukisho, but tell him the pink haired guy is a woman. Let him figure it out on his own.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TakinawaTonfa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:13 am Reply with quote
Concerning the view on One Piece:

Quote:
As for the fate of the license in America, 4Kids will likely sit on the license until it expires. I think some people are under the impression that 4Kids ceasing production on the dub somehow means now we'll get uncut subtitled boxsets with 50 episodes included in each for $10 from Funimation or something but that isn't the case at all; the show didn't catch on here, and neither did the videogames, so after this I'm not sure if any company - especially in a few years when the license runs out and the heat is completely gone from the show - will want to invest in a 300+ episode expensive juggernaut of a series that already proved it has limited appeal in the American market.

I'm definitely not disagreeing for most of that entry. Although, amongst the industry, aren't the flaws of how 4kids adapted the show recognized?

I mean, obviously another company isn't gonna waltz right on in , snatch the license right now and churn out uncuts faster than you can say "Tamagoboshi!". But I don't wanna say that the chance of a decent adaptation of the One Piece anime in America is gone just yet...
The World We Know

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:22 am Reply with quote
I agree with one of the posts which mentioned that it is senseless violence that is ridiculous; there is a such thing as "meaningful" violence. What I appreciate about the violence in many anime series and movies is that its evils are depicted- people experience psychological distress, bonds are broken, and people are injured and need time to recover.

If anything, violent anime quite often has a pacifict message that comes with being part of Japanese culture - the same contradiction is seen in many American films (recent war movies, some Mel Gibson films, etc.).

As a Christian, its important to me that we see "wholesome" entertainment in the marketplace. Ironically, violence is often part of the wholesome image I long to see in entertainment, because the message behind the violence can be powerful. I love seeing the Kenshin OVAs, because I see the powerful redemption message in the series. I enjoy the violence in Trigun, because I see the horrors that Vash has to go through. And although I have problems with Evangelion (no surprise here), I enjoy that the characters are all severely flawed, for it shows our human condition.

---
As for parenting, I agree that its important for parents to look out for what their kids (up to a certain age) are watching. And I also agree that many parents are lazy. But in the end, even a parent who has the time, energy and passion to keep on top of their children's habits can't always look out for what their kids are doing, because they're not home 24 hours a day.

And of course, its not a good idea to be Big Brother - thats a wonderful way to drive your kids to the exact opposite place you'd like to see them in. And sheltering a child from reality will simply skew their perceptions of life.

In the end, I believe effective parenting comes through your actions. Whatever your values are, the way you act is what will establish those values in your child's life - whether your idea is let that child grow entirely free from parental restraint (after all, by showing your child freedom, you are still establishing your belief system) or by setting strong rules and boundaries, or anything in between. The rest is up to your child and his/her experiences.
ChikaraFire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote
Felt the rant was confusing and in shows like Gundam SEED we see how traumatized the characters become it doesn't condone it at all.

---
Quote:
Conservative Uncle- Sukisho, but tell him the pink haired guy is a woman. Let him figure it out on his own.

that's hilarious Laughing

and for a overly religious relative, what about Chrono Crusade? Cool
liked the new part of Answerman sould be lots of loling
Acinom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Most people my age say that Halloween is their favorite holiday, because you're in your 20's and it's cool to say you like Halloween the most because you dress up and get drunk.

People do that for Christmas too. Very Happy
Richard J.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:07 am Reply with quote
The World We Know wrote:
In the end, I believe effective parenting comes through your actions. Whatever your values are, the way you act is what will establish those values in your child's life - whether your idea is let that child grow entirely free from parental restraint (after all, by showing your child freedom, you are still establishing your belief system) or by setting strong rules and boundaries, or anything in between. The rest is up to your child and his/her experiences.
QFT.

The way in which family acts determines how a child reacts. My parents raised me by example, teaching me how to act by acting in that way themselves. I rarely got punished because I knew how to act and the reasons for the rules were explained to me clearly. (Little things like, don't play with guns because they can kill you. Developed a real healthy respect for firearms at a very young age.)

Trying to use the media as a tool for educating a child is akin to playing the lottery, you might win big but mostly you're just going get disappointed. Plus, the media does not share all of your viewpoints.

Also, would it be possible for people to keep in mind that Christians aren't the only religious people with members that want to censor things? I'm a Christian and I'm very much against censorship. Occasionally it makes me feel uncomfortable and more than a little sad that there are people on this forum who immediately bash Christians whenever a discussion of censorship comes up.

While there are certainly some Christian groups that want to censor things and that act like complete idiots, please try to remember that they don't represent the bulk of Christians. Also, try to remember that there are Christians on this board who are staunch free-speech advocates.

Thank you.
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I love seeing all these "if I were a parent I'd do this, or I'd do that". Everyone's a "perfect parent" until they actually become one. Also these "It's the parents fault for not keeping track of what their children are watching." You mean like your parents who probably don't know that you are illegally downloading H-fansubs that has given you such an indepth knowledge of such titles, on the PC, or laptop attached to the internet that they spent big bucks to give you? Laughing

This vindicates my reluctance to let my 14-year-old have his own laptop in his room. Thanks guy's, for releaving me of the guilt, and showing me that I am afterall a "good parent", though my son has some rather choice descriptions of you that he learned in the school playground. Wink

I wouldn't use this forum as an indicator whether if giving your son a laptop since I believe most people on this board is usually of age to view sexually explicit stuff. Even so, I doubt everyone on this board even watch hentai or anything of the sort. If you truly feel that you can't trust your son with a personal laptop, it should be because of his actions, not of others.

I applaud if you monitor on what your son is watching. It IS the parent's fault if they found a certain title they brought that they heavily disagree with without at least looking at the back of the DVD/manga/whatever where it clearly states what is their intended audience. It is not the government's responsiblity to babysit anyone's kid, so it's super annoying to us fans when parents try to get the goverment to censor stuff that weren't made for young kids anyway. It makes parenting a less active role than it should be.

I never claim to be the prefect parent nor anyone does on this thread. Shoot, I know I will screw up my kids in one form or another. That's a fact. But I will try not to screw them up to the point it negatively affect their lives.

And as for the ranter this week, his argument was too vague in what it was trying to prove if lot of people got confused by it. Also, I think he confused slapstick violence with something else. In the children anime, rarely I see any senseless violence any more than American cartoons like Looney Tunes and the such.

American society will always regard showing violence is a safer option than sex, it's rooted in the country's Purtianical origins.

To tell the truth, the level of violence in anime is consistent through the years. In fact, it's being toned down in some cases and the truly violent anime is on when most people are asleep. Maybe the ranter is becoming more sensitve to it, which is usually often the case. Hell, I found anime from the late 80's-early 90's more violent than today's stuff.

And I LOLed that Utena has senseless violence. First of all Utena is a shoujo title, which means it's not going to have excessive violence in the first place (there are exceptions, though). The point of the duels (which are remisicent of honor duels back in the day) is to fight for the Rose Bride, plus Episode 13 shows the results of those Rose Duels to Utena. Ikki Tousen and Tenjou Tenge are fighting series. The main focus is fighting and they usually have reasons for why they fight.
The World We Know

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:20 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Also, would it be possible for people to keep in mind that Christians aren't the only religious people with members that want to censor things? I'm a Christian and I'm very much against censorship. Occasionally it makes me feel uncomfortable and more than a little sad that there are people on this forum who immediately bash Christians whenever a discussion of censorship comes up.

While there are certainly some Christian groups that want to censor things and that act like complete idiots, please try to remember that they don't represent the bulk of Christians. Also, try to remember that there are Christians on this board who are staunch free-speech advocates.

Thank you.

Thank you - expressed wonderfully.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10