• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Berserk Anime's 1st Video Teases 2016 Date

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kihaku-Kei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:33 am Reply with quote
1997 anime 100% traditional animation --- 2013 is a mix of both and this new 2016 one is almost 100% CGI

While this is a little disappointing i know most people who say * i will never watch this* are only kidding themselves. If you are a true fan of the series you will always support it. I know for a fact i will watch this!
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
The 1997 series, despite its flaws, also has artistry and nailed frame composition and use of color. It's still an amazing series, while I've already forgotten about the films.
Ifrit30

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
as highly lauded as the 1997 series was (and is) it looked like ass, traditional animation or no.
I disagree with that. The 1997 series looked fantastic to me, especially for a TV series. I can't recall myself ever thinking it looked bad while watching it.
You're joking right? The recycled animation footage, the still frames that litter every fight. Even though Rurouni Kenshin(for exmple as it was around the same time) had some god awful animation at times(that one where they went on a train really sticks out) it had some pretty good animation for the fights. And that is comparing it to a show which budget had to be stretched for a 95 episodes, comparing to a show that had the same episode count and you get this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK38WzlNvfk

I think he means the art design/direction (which I agree) not the animation itself, at lea´t that's how interpret him and the person he quoted.

It still surprises me that people mix up art design with animation

Last edited by Ifrit30 on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:52 am; edited 2 times in total
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
While I hope that the CG will be more polished when the anime is ready, I don't mind its usage.
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
Looks like Anime CGI is at the Toei/Studio DEEN level anyway.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:19 pm Reply with quote
@Ifrit30 I know the difference between the 2 very well, but I'm so used to people not knowing the difference I just interoperate art as animation.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Kihaku-Kei wrote:
1997 anime 100% traditional animation --- 2013 is a mix of both and this new 2016 one is almost 100% CGI

While this is a little disappointing i know most people who say * i will never watch this* are only kidding themselves. If you are a true fan of the series you will always support it. I know for a fact i will watch this!

I think it's possible to still be a fan of Berserk and not support this adaptation. No one has seen this anime yet so it's a little silly to make a snap decision about it without watching it. Having said that, anime is just like another other form of commercial entertainment; if you don't like what you see, vote with your dollar and don't buy it. I'm not thrilled about the prospect of a 3D berserk mixed with a bit of 2d animation. It looks awkward. I prefer 2d animation but I'll give it a try. In addition, animation studio and budget have a little to do with the quality of a given anime but it has more to do with talented animators who are passionate. One-punch man is a great recent example of this. Madhouse had a avererage budget but they had a great director and some very gifted animators involved.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-11-11/the-secret-of-one-punch-man-success/.95251
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
thekingsdinner wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
as highly lauded as the 1997 series was (and is) it looked like ass, traditional animation or no.
I disagree with that. The 1997 series looked fantastic to me, especially for a TV series. I can't recall myself ever thinking it looked bad while watching it.
You're joking right? The recycled animation footage, the still frames that litter every fight.

I for one adore the use of still frames in the series. There certainly are other issues, like characters going off model a bit too frequently, but the stills? Scenes like this are burned into my memory and would be less instead of more effective if fully animated:

Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
And that is comparing it to a show which budget had to be stretched for a 95 episodes, comparing to a show that had the same episode count and you get this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK38WzlNvfk

Seeing Escaflowne again and comparing it to this makes me realize just how far anime budgets have fallen. They'll be at Adult Swim levels soon (if they aren't already). Poor Japanese economy
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:36 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
You're joking right? The recycled animation footage, the still frames that litter every fight. Even though Rurouni Kenshin(for exmple as it was around the same time) had some god awful animation at times(that one where they went on a train really sticks out) it had some pretty good animation for the fights. And that is comparing it to a show which budget had to be stretched for a 95 episodes, comparing to a show that had the same episode count and you get this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK38WzlNvfk
I'm not kidding, I think the 1997 series looks awesome. I completed watching it about a month or two ago. It's true that it uses a lot of still frames, but I honestly don't think I've noticed recycled footage. I can believe that it's there, sure, but I can't remember noticing any.
Maybe I'm just easily satisfied, who knows, but I really do think the old series looks great and is part of why I like it so much. I still think both art and animation are by far more appealing than what we're getting in this new series.

Besides, I do like the still frames, even though they use it a lot. I had to screenshot some of them because I like the way they look. I'm still using one for my list on MAL.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bloodgod

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:04 pm Reply with quote
I guess... at least they are keeping the original promise to continue animating it after the movies. I wonder what the release format will be, something along the lines of Hellsing Ultimate?

I'll take the original series style over the clunky CG here any day as well. Between the terrible CG and unnecessary retelling of the Golden Age, the movies were really poor treatment of the fans.

Honestly, the only redeeming quality the movies had (for me) was the fact that they managed to re-unite most of the English dub cast from the original series.

Considering most of those people seemed to fall off the face of the earth after Berserk, that was a really nice touch that I never expected.

It was kinda cool to see the Skull Knight animated too, i guess
JDude042

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Somer-_- wrote:
JDude042 wrote:
I guess Kentarou Itou is in no hurry to get the ball rolling and progress the story, you asshole. Evil or Very Mad

The voice actor?

You know what? This isn't the first time I got the two mixed up now that I think about it. I meant to say Kentarou Miura of course! Wink Just shows you it's been several years since I last followed the manga of Berserk.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
Seeing Escaflowne again and comparing it to this makes me realize just how far anime budgets have fallen. They'll be at Adult Swim levels soon (if they aren't already). Poor Japanese economy

Probably unfair to to judge all anime off one the highest budget TV anime ever by Sunrise at the summit of their game.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:55 pm Reply with quote
It be smashing time!
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
More CGI? Ugh. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4