• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Adult Japanese Fans Pick Top Anime That Made Them Cry

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChaosTheory

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
April is the most manipulative PoS ever.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
It is official, ladies and gentlemen! Even Gundam 0080 is sadder than Madoka.

To be fair, you'd have to be a serious Homura sympathizer for Madoka Magica to crack your personal feels list.

Plastic Memories...well, at least they didn't vote it number one Laughing
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Air? Confused IMO, it was more clumsy than emotional (spoiler["I'm a bird, now a flashback, now a sad moment, end of show"]). That show just didn't had any impact on me. Kanon (2006 version) and CLANNAD, however, did.
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Outright tears:
    Wolf Children - big time.
    Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 - absolutely.
    Your Lie in April - like a little baby.

Welling of tears:
    Toradora - at times. When Taiga has her realization and runs out into the night calling out Ryuuji's name, for instance. Yes, I'm a sap.
    Angel Beats - left and right, every other damned episode, as the backstories are revealed.

Special mention movie: The Girl who Leapt Through Time. Oof.
chito895

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Anime has the power to make me cry like nothing else. The last time I cried was while watching Wolf Children, a couple of months ago. Damn that movie.

Other than that, there was Anohana, during the spoiler[scene of the letter], Your Lie in April,spoiler[ during the scene of the letter, (letters make me cry it seems),] SAO II, during spoiler[Yuki's funeral], at the end of Angel Beats!, and everytime the main theme played during Digimon Tri.

And there are those scenes were I was at the verge of crying my eyes out, the ones I remember are during Food Wars, when the spoiler[neighbours and family of Megumi go ti the competition to cheer her up during thr competition,] Tokyo Ghoul Root A, I think it was Episode 11, and during Noragami Aragoto in two scenes, one when spoiler[Bishamon started crying] (I think it was episode 4 or 5), and the when spoiler[Yato received his little temple from Hiyori.]
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:18 pm Reply with quote
0080 and Stand By Me Doraemon got to me as well. Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and Wolf Children didn't quite make me cry but they certainly hit me in the feels. Honorable mention to spoiler[Hughes' death and the Nina reveal] in FMA as well Cowboy Bebop's famous last scene really hitting hard when I was younger and Robot Carnival's Presence segment.

I misread Plastic Memories as Plastic Little and was horribly confused for a second.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:21 pm Reply with quote
What cought me off guard was that Chrono Crusade anime. It was a pretty happy go lucky anime up until that final episode when you where given the sad ending. It got me.right in the feels and out of left field no less.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I teared up at the end of Ghibli's Princess Kaguya.

I honestly cried like a baby through a good portion of that movie. Just the visuals alone, during certain spoilery parts, were enough to get me tearing up.
cloud8100

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm, I actually quite enjoyed Plastic Memories. Even if the season could have been done a bit better, certain parts were done pretty well imo.

There have been other series\ movies that have got me teary eyed. Grave of the Fireflies definitely. I watched the ending of Anohana, it does actually always usually get to me but I've never made it through the whole series itself. I wonder off half way.

Last edited by cloud8100 on Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
Anime has the power to make me cry like nothing else. The last time I cried was while watching Wolf Children, a couple of months ago. Damn that movie.
(...)

And there are those scenes were I was at the verge of crying my eyes out, the ones I remember are during Food Wars, when the spoiler[neighbours and family of Megumi go ti the competition to cheer her up during the competition,]

I remembered at the Otakon English dub premiere during the scene where spoiler[wolf dad's body was stuffed into the trash] and all the guys sitting around me started sniffing to hold back tears. That was the saddest moment for me and when spoiler[Yuki almost drowned]

The part with spoiler[Megumi's hometown cheering her on] made me love the show. I was so proud!!

Fruits Basket still gets me along with FMA which handled spoiler[ Nina and Hughes death] 100% better than Brotherhood among more mature scenes.

While predictably average for a highschool drama/comedy, the spoiler[death of Kaori's soul] in Your Lie in April got me in the gut. Beautiful and dazzling the whole way.
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow surprise no Clannad. AS hit me hard not just once but almost 3x which is the most for any series. Usually once or twice at most.

Even the story isn't the most developed (because of the time not allowing it to developed well) Air is definitely a tear jerker and you know it's on a level beyond a simple girl just degenerating, there's more to that especially with her aunt developing wonderfully through the series.

Also wolf children, really? It was average at best and the boy just felt like an emo kid that got what he wanted in the end instead of learning past what he was.

Never seen Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket, looks like rightstuf is going to release it so going to grab it when it comes out.

Last edited by nhat on Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
WillyD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
This is likely to come out of left field but Listen to Me, Girls. I Am Your Father! had a tear jerkier moment every episode for me. They show as a whole wasn't sad but they would just drop in a moment into every episode that was just crushing. Usually it was the same trick used over and over again but waterworks would flow every time spoiler[Hina asked about where the parents are.][/spoiler]
Harima

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
- Chihayafuru Second Season (episode 19): spoiler[Chaihaya's team won the team portion of the tournament after a lot of blood, sweat and tears.]

- Clannad After Story (Episodes 17 – 22): spoiler[Nagisa death] and the whole thing with Ushio. That scene in episode 18 when spoiler[Tomoya finally realised how much lonely Ushio was yet how much she held back her feelings] was just too much !!

- ef: A Tale of Melodies: The entire series was sad in general but the parts related to Amamiya Yuuko were just too much to handle especially how things turned out with her.

- Hanasaku Iroha -Home Sweet Home-: The part where Nako scolds her parents for focusing on their work all the time while neglecting their children and not keeping a simple promise to go out with them.

- Kurau Phantom Memory (Episode 12): The events near the end of the episode at the facility run by Kurau's father. The whole series was very emotional overall and even the first episode was almost a tear jerker for me, not to mention the finale.

- Nagi no Asukara (Episode 12): The scene where Akari chats with her father in the cafe.

- Maria sama ga Miteru 4th (Episode 11): The scene where Noriko appears and comforts a devastated Touko near the end of the episode.

- Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. Zoku (Episode 8): There aren't that many scenes in anime history featuring a male character breaking down in tears that could move you like the Hikigaya scene in this episode.

- Shirobako (Episode 23): The, by now, famous scene in the recording studio at the end of the episode.

- Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de (Episode 7): The notorious scene in that episode when Hatoko loses it because July refuses to answer any of her questions. Hayami Saori's voice acting in this scene was truly something else and I still can't help but think that she sounds a lot like Mamiko Noto.

- Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki: A large portion of the movie.

- Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (Episode 22): The dramatic scene that alternated between spoiler[Arima playing in the concert hall and Kaori being operated on in the hospital.] That was followed by the revelations in Kaori letter so basically the entire episode was an emotional roller coaster.

- Ai no Wakakusa Monogatari (Little Women): spoiler[Beth dies.]

- The Dog of Flanders: I probably don't have to explain how the story in this movie and TV series about Nello and his dog Patrasche ends since the original novel is well known. Many Japanese people who grew up watching this show remember it fondly and if they ever get a chance to visit Belgium then they usually head to the Antwerp Cathedral where the story finale took place. I also heard that the final episode of the series had the highest TV rating of any anime episode in history.

- Ga-Rei-Zero (Episode 9): spoiler[Yomi loses hope and faith in humanity while lying in bed in hospital] because the people around her are ALL SCUMBAGS !!

- Grave of the Fireflies: the whole movie !!

- Honey & Clover: Every time I see Ayumi cry over her unrequited love.

- Kino no Tabi (episode 13): What happened to the village at the end of the episode.

- Monogatari Series Second Season (Episode 5): Araragi replies to Hanekawa's confession.

- Non Non Biyori (Episode 4): It may be weird to include a series like Non Non Biyori in the list but those who watched that episode know very well why a certain scene involving Renge at the end of the episode deserves to be included.

- Sakura Sou no Pet no Kanojo: There probably isn't a show in anime history where the title of the show gives you a completely false impression about the possible storyline like this one. Despite the title, the show is a true emotional roller coaster. The Graduation speech delivered by Misaki in episode 23 is definitely a highlight. Nanami's reaction upon realising that she spoiler[failed the audition] was also a major one.

- Plastic Memories (Episode 13): The entire scene in the amusement park.

- Romeo no Aoi Sora (Episode 29): spoiler[Alfredo succumbs to his illness inside a church after leading the Black Brothers to victory] in their struggle to improve their lives and after reuniting with his sister Bianca.

- Nurse Angel Ririka SOS (Episode 35): spoiler[Ririka is assigned a cruel fate at the end of the series (on the day she was celebrating her birthday !!)]

- Twin Spica: Asumi coming to terms with her desire to be an astronaut at the beginning of the show despite the tragedy that space travel has brought to her family. The famous ending song (Miagete Goran Yoru no Hoshi o) that plays at the end of each episode enforces that depressing feeling.

Added spoiler tags. --willag

Last edited by Harima on Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:52 am; edited 6 times in total
Blankslate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I'll chime in with the obligatory Wolf Children and Grave of the Fireflies. I've also cried a lot during FMA and Wolf's Rain. I started tearing up during the last couple of episodes of Ping Pong the Animation and Beck simply because they were culminations of everyone's dreams. The ending of Samurai Champloo also hit me pretty hard. Welcome to the NHK made me cry because it hit really close to home when the main character had his "suicide" attempt and his interactions with his mom. Most recently I've teared up to the ending of Shirobako, the ending of Blood Blockade Battlefront, some episodes of Death Parade, and Noragami.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:03 pm Reply with quote
when I think of anime that made me cry I tend to think about Wolf's Rain, the end of that had me finishing off a box of tissues from all the crying.

and then there's AnoHana, but not for the same reason many have cried over that. when Menma's mom went off it just hit me so hard because I was wondering if my mom ever felt that way since my older sister died an accident when I was really little. heck, the whole thing with Menma's family's side of things just hit a little too close to home for me. it's the only anime I watched where I had to pause it and walk away for a little bit until I got my emotions in check.

to a lesser extent I tend to cry watching Blue Exorcist in the episode Kuro gets introduced. something about that demon cat breaking down crying like that just gets me crying along with him.

and finally when I was little the ending of Ringing Bell/Chirin no Suzu got me down so much it actually traumatized me. I cried and I wouldn't watch any cartoons with sheep as the main character in them for a decade. I was in, like, second grade when I watched it tho.

EDIT: I forgot Kemono no Souja Erin. gods, ep 7 was a major emotional punch to the gut and watching Erin recover from that emotionally was something too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7