• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Were Some Animation Techniques Banned?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Wasn't it only broadcast once in japan and never never shown again? I heard that 4Kids tried editing the episode to make it safe, but I assume that they scrapped it, I mean I've never heard anything about it being aired or released on home media anywhere else in the world, and they've dubbed that episode into any other languages.
This is from memory, but I looked for that episode to air in the US because of the controversy and I'm pretty sure it did because I saw it and thought it didn't look so busy/startling. Afterwards I read that the episode had been re-animated to reduce the strobe effect and would be included in tape release versions which I just assumed happened. I'm not so much a fan that I got any of those. I saw on Wikipedia that the episode was never shown again in Japan but I wonder then how you saw it?
Triltaison

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
]This is from memory, but I looked for that episode to air in the US because of the controversy and I'm pretty sure it did because I saw it and thought it didn't look so busy/startling. Afterwards I read that the episode had been re-animated to reduce the strobe effect and would be included in tape release versions which I just assumed happened. I'm not so much a fan that I got any of those. I saw on Wikipedia that the episode was never shown again in Japan but I wonder then how you saw it?

If you're saying that you saw the English version, you didn't. According to Maddie Blaustein (English voice of Meowth), it was at least partially dubbed into English but the episode was never released because of the controversy around it. Never on TV, never on home video, never released.

The Japanese episode was altered slightly to have the strobe effect flash less frequently for rebroadcast, but that version has barely been used (if ever). I can't even find evidence of the news post anymore, but I remember reading that it was about to air once in the edited form several years after its original airing and never heard anything about whether it actually happened. "Electric Soldier Porygon" was quietly swept under the rug, where it never even got a VHS release. The VHS skips directly from "Ditto's Mysterious Mansion" to "Pikachu's Goodbye," skipping over the Porygon episode entirely.

I heard something about whatever streaming service plays Pokemon in Japan nowadays also skips over it, but I have no means to check that. There's an old copy of the episode floating around online that is evidently just one someone taped off TV at the time of original broadcast, and that's basically it for the poor little thing.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Porygon 2 and Porygon-Z were never shown in the anime because of that first Porygon episode, right???

That really sucks, kinda. I mean, why create the evolutions and not air them??? They may as well not even exist. Confused

Porygon2 had a blink-and-you'll-miss-it presence as a background character in one of the 4Kids-made PokéRaps (though whether you count that as it appearing in the anime proper is up to you), and the entire Porygon line was used in a sequence before some of the Pokémon movies as an introduction to the concept of Pokémon. In the latter, if I recall correctly, every Pokémon designed up to Keldeo was shown in that sequence.

But yeah, the Porygon line became kind of verboten in the anime, like with Kadabra in the TCG. (For the record, Porygon2 and Porygon-Z continue to appear in the TCG, but only about once per generation, though that's more because of how many Pokémon there are rather than any limits on their usage. The most recent use of the line was just this past year.)

Zin5ki wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What the hell are tripes?

Edible stomach linings! Popular in many cuisines, less so in others.

And things people deem as useless and inconsequential!

Though I think that was a typo of "stripes."

checarlos87 wrote:
As for specific DBZ episodes that might have to be retooled, go watch the episode-long Kamehameha duel between Gohan and Cell. I rewatched it a few months back on FUNimation and there were segments where I was afraid to stare at the full screen for more than a few seconds straight. Long segments of the episode feature Gohan, Goku, and Cell talking around while the two colliding Kamehamehas strobe continuously. Even worse, in the storyboards featuring Gohan looking in the direction of the fourth wall, there are two strobing effects on screen at once: the outer strobing effect from the Kamehameha collision and an even more aggressive strobing effect right on Gohan's hand to represent the source of his Kamahameha.

Oh yes, I remember that. I didn't get any health problems from it, but it was so annoying to look at that I always either looked away or squinted.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:33 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Though I think that was a typo of "stripes."

Ahh. You're probably right. I don't think I've ever seen a typo quite like that, with the first letter missing but the second letter still capitalized. So I thought it might be some industry term, like scrim or cookie. Smile
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Might be the word processor's grammar check detecting that it's the first word of a statement and automatically capitalizing the first letter. (Mine will do that even if the first word of a sentence is a pluralized acronym, turning "DVDs" into "Dvds," for example.)
shoi-tan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
I was 2 when this aired in japan and was hospitalized but i was also sick during the time it aired so i was double susceptible at the time...

Coincidentally the only other time i had a seizure was in elementary school a few years after moving to america i had a fever when i was watching pokemon after school and when i stood up the "flickering" of the sunlight from the half open blinds caused me to have a seizure.
Eri94

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure this seizure thing has mostly been debunked. From what I recall maybe a dozen kids actually had a seizure and everyone else just faked it for attention or sympathy so that an actual victim wouldn't feel bad for having it happen and nothing was found to be wrong with 95% of the people who went to the hospital.

Not sure why this story keeps getting repeated.
shoi-tan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
I'm pretty sure this seizure thing has mostly been debunked. From what I recall maybe a dozen kids actually had a seizure and everyone else just faked it for attention or sympathy so that an actual victim wouldn't feel bad for having it happen and nothing was found to be wrong with 95% of the people who went to the hospital.

Not sure why this story keeps getting repeated.

When was it debunked? I had a fever when i was hospitalized so the doctors said i got the seizure because of that but gave me epilepsy medicine "just in case" (lmao tho my dad said that the medicine was banned in most other countries including Bangladesh where my parents are from as we found out when we tried to refill my prescription after moving)

Also small children under 5 are a lot more likely to be photosensitive but grow up fine. They can and do pass out from video games flashing as well, but when they grow up they usually grow out of it. Usually their seizures are not serious which is why all those kids were fine.

Edit: i checked snopes and while it seems that only a 'fraction' of the children were treated for epilepsy, however as i mentioned, most childhood seizures are not serious, which would explain why most of the children weren't treated. Considering the medicine that i was given for my seizure tho that's probably for the best lol... i was so lethargic when i was on it.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
Eri94 wrote:
I'm pretty sure this seizure thing has mostly been debunked...nothing was found to be wrong with 95% of the people who went to the hospital. Not sure why this story keeps getting repeated.
Nothing to debunk, this is a real effect and has happened with other broadcasts, like a 2012 Olympics commercial that aired in Britain apparently. If you read accounts of the Pokemon incident, close to 700 kids were taken to neighborhood hospitals after exhibiting a range of symptoms which occurred at the moment of broadcast and persisted only a short time afterward. The vast majority had no symptoms upon arrival but I'd propose that number of kids wouldn't be taken to hospitals independent of each other, most likely by parents, to gain sympathy and notoriety when nothing happened. That's why this keeps coming up, there was an effect strong enough to cause concern that happened to a bunch of kids at one time from the same cause. True, the reaction might be considered an over-reaction as no one died or had lasting problems as a result but I wouldn't say 95% "faked" a problem.
Eri94

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:43 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Hiroki not Takuya"]
Eri94 wrote:
t I wouldn't say 95% "faked" a problem.

http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/seizure.asp

Quote:
Later, researchers who studied the Pokemon phenomenon reported in the Southern Medical Journal that only a small fraction of the 618 children treated were actually diagnosed with photosensitive epilepsy.
shoi-tan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:26 am Reply with quote
http://www.csicop.org/si/show/pokemon_panic_of_1997
Quote:

Pokémon Panic Timeline

Tuesday December 16, 1997 6:30 p.m.
Pokémon Episode 38 (Computer Warrior Polygon) airs; the flashing lights segment begins at about 6:50; the Fire-Defense agency claims that between 6:50 and 7:30, 618 children were rushed to hospitals with convulsions, headaches, and vision problems.

Tuesday December 16, 1997 (later that night)
Evening news reports that hundreds of children were taken to hospitals from Pokémon fits; some news shows then rebroadcast the scene suspected of causing the seizures. A second wave of children (number unknown) is affected upon hearing the news.

Wednesday December 17, 1997
Pokémon attacks are “the talk of the schoolyards"; “Television and newspaper headlines Wednesday morning were dominated by the reports.” The number of victims reported in the media ranges from over 600 to over 700.

Thursday December 18, 1997
Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper reports that nearly 13,000 children had “at least minor symptoms,” with 685 taken to hospitals.

Considering how fast we were hospitalized i doubt the original wave of children were faking it. This article shows both sides of the argument, and even sources the same article that snopes sources. If you consider hysteria as 'faking it for attention' then yeah about 95% was faking it but i personally think that hysteria is its own medical issue like the nocebo effect,
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:46 am Reply with quote
Not having epilepsy doesn't necessarily mean you can't have an induced seizure or other alarming reaction, so saying only a small fraction of the cases had epilepsy is kind of meaningless. Those kids would have eventually had a seizure under other conditions, upon which they would have then been diagnosed.

In the space of 40 minutes in the same evening, I don't think 5-600 children would be suddenly and independently (unless there were large group showings to children) hit upon the idea to fake a seizure or other symptoms to get attention. So unless the statistic of 618 children taken to hospitals has been debunked, or there was something in the episode suggesting to kids that they'd get attention if they faked an illness, this story hasn't been debunked.
crazyidiot78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:00 am Reply with quote
Thanks for posting this. I teach biology and the subject has come up several times in some of my classes and while I knew of it. I never had a lot of information on it. This will very helpful the next time I cover vision and seizures.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3