• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Eiichiro Oda to Editor: 'Die for One Piece'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDude042

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
I do really enjoy One Piece, but I hope the man isn't diminishing his own longevity in any way because of his work habits, so good on the fact that he's basically being forced to take a 1-week break every month. I'm a patient man, I can go one week without a chapter of One Piece without it being the end of the world. You could learn a thing or two from this man, Yoshihiro Togashi, you lazy piece of crap! Twisted Evil spoiler[Just kidding, but seriously Togashi could use to up his work ethic, unless the whole story about him having back pain is true or not. I'm not so invested in Hunter x Hunter to where it's going to eat away at me, just because Togashi isn't healthy and lacks the same amount of drive to be constantly working on his beloved manga.]
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:16 pm Reply with quote
No one can function with only 3 hours of sleep a day. I call absolute bulls***!
JDude042

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:20 pm Reply with quote
JoeOfTomorrow wrote:

Not that I'm debunking your theory, but I can go on about 5 hours of sleep, and get up the next morning and have energy to spare throughout the entire day from when I wake up until around bedtime. On my off days when I don't have to get up at around 5 am for work though, I might sleep a good 8-10 hours though if that matters. If what he's doing is true and is being done on a repeated basis, then yeah that's no good.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
TrueZangetsu wrote:
I'd rather die for a fictional story I'm working on then die for a government that sends me into a war that said government had started.

Wonder what government you're referring to being that Japan doesn't have a standing army and hasn't been in a war since World War 2.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I'd say it's part choice and mostly necessity if you want to bang out a number of pages on a weekly schedule for a chapter. These links give you a bit of insight into how hard comic and manga artists have to work on average, even on a monthly deadline.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Oda, I love you to pieces, but please take care of yourself man. Get some more sleep, spend time with your family, and don't kill yourself working on this. Your fanbase is in it for the long haul (and I mean long haul) either way. The occasional couple of weeks off won't hurt anything.
manapear

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking of the Togashi point too but going to mention that he did actually go through health issues at a point. As one should and would when they're tearing their bodies apart for work they probably don't get paid enough for. (To say nothing of just pages, but also licensing and branding.)

As much as I respect and appreciate Oda's sincerity and dedication, I don't think he should work quite as heavy as he does. Then again, maybe he expects to finish at a certain (not so far off) point/time and then sit back and roll around in his money. Which I totally respect, if that's the case.

Plenty of the OP fans (at least on Tumblr that I follow) have been noticing some mistakes though and glaring ones lately. I hope he's feeling okay and doing well. Hopefully his work ethic isn't catching up to him.
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I have massive respect for Oda honestly and if he suddenly caught Togashi's disease no one could blame him because he's earned it. I can't imagine only sleeping 3 hours each night but I admire his conviction tremendously. He should probably take a few months to rest though. The world could survive with just a few months without One Piece. Too much work is bad for the brain
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:49 pm Reply with quote
this will cut down his lifespan by 10 years...
stilldemented

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, Oda's tenacity is pretty well recognized among the One Piece fandom. He's been working on little sleep like this for several years, and it's only recently that it has started showing signs of catching up with him. I think Shounen Jump has forced him to start taking one week off each month. He was running himself ragged and it was really causing a lot of health issues.

Anyway, it's not surprising that Oda has this mentality to his magnum opus and expects just as much drive from those who work with him on the project. This is just the first time it's come out where he's been very frank about his standards. But yeah, Oda has always kind of been like that. Razz
koinosuke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
AFAIK, Japan has a better work-life balance than the U.S. or South Korea, so the notion of overwork must be over exaggerated.

I can only assume you're joking. Japan famously has a terrible culture of overwork mixed with limited actually productivity.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:21 am Reply with quote
I'm starting to get the impression that Oda is not a man but a robot who never stops working and only rests three hours a day to recharge his batteries. Laughing
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:47 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
johnnysasaki wrote:
oh,come on,I was going to make a Togashi joke,but the article already took care of it...

What's Togashi???

A Togashi is this odd creature that lives in the forest. When it is young, it furiously gathers nuts, berries, water, and other consumables into a hole in a tree it creates so as to hold up through the winter. In doing so, it gains the respect of the other forest creatures and even humans, who contribute to the Togashi's stock, as the Togashi treats it as communal. When the Togashi grows older, though, it becomes less inclined to gather through the winter and just lives off the contributions others have put into the Togashi's hole. The other creatures get annoyed, but they put up with it anyway, as the Togashi still knows where to find the best-tasting nuts and berries in the whole forest. It just now goes for months on end doing almost nothing and certainly not gathering supplies for the winter.

Ever since humans first observed this behavior among the Togashis, the word "Togashi" entered the vernacular to describe someone who takes long breaks and gets away with it due to his or her reputation in the past.

NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
AFAIK, Japan has a better work-life balance than the U.S. or South Korea, so the notion of overwork must be over exaggerated.

Well, "better" is subjective. The sort of work ethic Oda has is definitely admirable and shows intense dedication, but working this hard can create health problems (which no doubt he'll have one day, if he doesn't already, especially considering he smokes a lot of cigarettes too).

HueyLion wrote:
I thought so it took that much effort, jeez Everytime I see people be like "not another break" i can't stand it knowing this now, the man only sleep 3 hours.. thats terrible for the body and his health.

Oda senpai keep strong and finish this masterpiece of a manga you have created

While one part of me is bummed we don't get a chapter for the week, another part of me is relieved Oda is able to get some time for himself and his family.

Pokenatic wrote:
As much as I'm a fan of One Piece, I just have to say, jeez take some R&R every once in a while, Oda. I'm pretty sure no one would make a fuss about you taking an occasional break.

He does. He takes a week-long break once a month. Readers grumble and moan every time.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
People asked him to take a break all the time but when he did, people become angry that he didn't released their weekly dose of One Piece. This behavior is especially prevalent on Mangafox, a freaking scanlations site that is no better than the ultra famous illegal streaming website, Kis*anime. The fans mostly doesn't know what they want and luckily, I don't think Oda has time to browse the internet to check how undecided a lot of his fans is. It would only reduced more lifespans. I think that the man deserve to do what he wanted to do, and I can only respect his ideals as another fan. Good luck to Oda-sensei.
JoeOfTomorrow

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:51 am Reply with quote
JDude042 wrote:
JoeOfTomorrow wrote:

Not that I'm debunking your theory, but I can go on about 5 hours of sleep, and get up the next morning and have energy to spare throughout the entire day from when I wake up until around bedtime. On my off days when I don't have to get up at around 5 am for work though, I might sleep a good 8-10 hours though if that matters. If what he's doing is true and is being done on a repeated basis, then yeah that's no good.

These people know how geeks think. I saw a meme which its maker PATHETICALLY tries to make his obvious favorite anime, One Piece, look factually better than Naruto and Bleach by showing how each series creator's work station looks like. Even if it was true, how does Oda's more clustered mess of a work station automatically make One Piece the better series? But apparently, that is the logic.

I've spent hours and hours making AMV's, redoing things over and over again to make them perfect but I wouldn't consider myself the best just because I'm meticulous about how I go about making them, I've seen simpler AMV's with simple editing techniques that I liked more than other flashy-edited ones. It's case by case. But now people are going to talk about how much work Oda puts into One Piece as part of the Big 3 argument.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4