• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Black Clover to Have 'Super Important Announcement' This Weekend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FBlama Zulkenehack

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
Quote:
Ryotaro Okiayu will host the event

If it's an anime, I wonder, whom he will voice:Yami or the Emperor?

For yami i would like Rikiya Koyama to voice him. For the emperor Im not really sure but maybe Hamada Kenji is a good choice.
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:

I'm actually glad that BnhA got a 13 episode anime. -> Good For You

Your way thinking is outdated. Long running anime are a dead trend and they aren't coming back. -> Factually Incorrect.
When the Long Running anime are the most popular and profitable in Japan and in the world, and when the biggest anime companies, both in terms of size, sales and income per year: Toei, TMS Entertainment, Sunrise/Bandai Pictures, Studio Pierrot, OLM, ... main business is long running anime and they do quite a number of them(Toei has 5, TMS has 3, Pierrot has 3, OLM has around 6) you're obviously quite wrong indeed. And to that try to include anime studios that survive just with 1 or 2 long running series: Eiken(Sazae), Nippon Animation(Chibi Maruko-chan), Gallop(Yu-Gi-Oh), Shin-Ei Animation(Doraemon, Shin-chan). And when even the smaller companies like to from time to time do them, even if they have to join together: Madhouse, Production I.G, A-1 Pictures, Satelight, Bridge, ... Then you are obviously wrong.

I think it's great that they're aproaching BnhA with multiple one or 2 cour seasons in the long run -> Not gonna happen. Majority of Seasonal adaptation only get 1 season. Popular ones 2. And Mega Popular ones just to 4. Is super rare to see a series surpass 4 seasons. The only ones that come to mind is Major, Gintama and Bakemonogatari.

My Hero Academia is nowhere near any of those, in fact I would say that the anime franchise is in the edge between common series and popular series, so is already a blessing that it got a 2nd season.
Now, multiple 1 or 2 cours seasons in the long run? LOL, you can dream about that

Also, a long running series for BnhA would have been impossible, because the series is very new. Even now, a 60 episode adaptation would be impossible. -> Factually wrong again. Just look at Dragon Ball that started being adapted when the series had 30-40 chapters. Or World Trigger that had 73 episodes and started its anime when the series was around chapter 75. And it only stopped airing due to the frequent breaks the author did because of sickness.

Also, since you seem to have a deep fondness of long running trash adaptations, just look how bad Naruto ended up being, half of it is filler, the manga ended ages ago and they're still milking it with more infinite amounts of filler, great, that's exactly what the fans wanted! -> Nothing to do with being long running, but the decision of Studio Pierrot. They could easily do half of the fillers they did, and end the series already instead of still running 2-3 years after the manga ended.

Also, you might say, but Hunter x Hunter 2011 was a huge hit. True, ... -> Wrong, it was a hit, but not huge. The first adaptation is the one that was a Huge Hit.

Also, there won't be any other super big hits like the Big 3 any longer -> Good to know that you see the future!

We're in a new era and I'm happy that things have changed. -> Certainly not as much and how you think they did!

The closest thing to a new super big hit we have is Attack on Titan. -> Closest? Attack on Titan is around the TOP 5 biggest hit that ever happened in terms of franchise based in manga, ever!
Is actually wrong to compare any other series success with Attack on Titan, because is very possible that we will not see anything like that for a really long time, and is not so far-fetched to believe that there will not be any other series as popular.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:24 am Reply with quote
-> Factually Incorrect....

I was reffering to long running adaptations of shounen manga and in general. I agree, long running anime aimed at kids are still gonna be a thing, but new long running anime outside of this niche are as good as dead.

-> Not gonna happen. Majority of Seasonal adaptation only get 1 season. Popular ones 2. And Mega Popular ones just to 4. Is super rare to see a series surpass 4 seasons. The only ones that come to mind is Major, Gintama and Bakemonogatari.

You'd better believe there will be more BnhA, one of the founders of Bones stated that that's what they would like to do with the series in a recent interview from ANN. And, WSJump is in a new age, where all of the veterans are ending and BnhA is the hottest and most popular new thing they have. The majority of their current lineup started being published from 2014 and onwards and most of the stuff they have isn't even selling 50k per volume.

-> Factually wrong again. Just look at Dragon Ball that started being adapted when the series had 30-40 chapters. Or World Trigger that had 73 episodes and started its anime when the series was around chapter 75. And it only stopped airing due to the frequent breaks the author did because of sickness.

Sure, you can technically adapt anything with as little chapters as possible, but with a ton of filler crap. I wanted to say that it would've been impossible to properly adapt BnHa without having loads of filler episodes.
I mean, World Trigger ended up having a nice amount of trashy filler, that's the cost the series had to pay to have a longish adaptation from early on. I also think it's pointless to mention Dragon Ball, since it's Dragon Ball after all. Also, this new anime is trash, like most new long running anime (which are mostly done by Toei and they all suck), surprise, I've heard things have improved, but that's still pretty pathetic for a franchise as big as DB, again, that's a negative thing about long running series.

-> Nothing to do with being long running, but the decision of Studio Pierrot. They could easily do half of the fillers they did, and end the series already instead of still running 2-3 years after the manga ended.

Was it the decision of studio Pierrot though? Do you have any proof? I would say it was the production committee. Plus this replaced World Trigger, I think, not sure, so I suppose this TV slot is meant for longer anime series.

Wrong, it was a hit, but not huge. The first adaptation is the one that was a Huge Hit.

I don't know man, I doubt it would've gotten 148 episodes if it weren't very popular. How many long running shounen adaptations of this size have we had in the last 5 years? Not so many, eh?

-> Good to know that you see the future!

Here I meant, there won't be the same old big 3 series formula any longer. Due to certain circumstances, Naruto, Bleach and One piece happened to become how big they did. That's never happening again. We will have, One piece and whatever takes off in a particular year. And even One Piece has been becoming less and less popular in comparison to some of it's previous years.

-> Certainly not as much and how you think they did!

Oh, but they have changed a lot, no more new long running adaptations of shounen manga in sight is just one of the small changes that have happened overall and no more long running stuff in general which isn't aimed at kids. I think it's a great change.
Encore22

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
Kind of well deserved anime. Although the series is heavily inspired by certain other series and the story being a bit random it does have some very well designed characters, and a different art style.

Will probably work decent as an anime.
Darklordmyke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I can see BnHA getting a long running anime adaptation cut into cours, similar to Durarara!!. I can see this anime (which the manga is good but, in my opinion, nowhere near as good as his Hungry Joker manga, although it was short lived..) becoming a new, long-running Shounen series because of the tropes, really.... I do however, see no problem in that!

Yes, things change all the time in Japan when it comes to adaptations, serializations, production, ratings, popularity, and so forth... However, just because most of the industry is moving away from long-running doesn't mean this one will... I say bring on a 100+ episode series Black Clover! I hope whoever gets it can come up with good filler if necessary!

One last musing,

Hunter X Hunter new and old, were both adapted for English release... That alone should speak to its popularity....
Acnodara

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Black Magi wrote:
Oh? Fairy Tail's and Naruto's love child is getting adaptation most likely?. More mediocrity is one the way.

At least we can say Black clover is better than the abomination that was Bleach.
HIGANO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:38 pm Reply with quote
People still think that companies like(pierrot.toei...) are reason for those long running animes....
bigivel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:

I was reffering to long running adaptations of shounen manga and in general. I agree, long running anime aimed at kids are still gonna be a thing, but new long running anime outside of this niche are as good as dead.

Kid anime is not a niche! In fact that is more mainstream than your late night shows!

And Twin Exorcists, World Trigger, Digimon Universe, Tiger Mask W, Gintama, Ace of Diamond, Dragon Ball Super, Detective Conan, Fairy Tail, One Piece, Naruto, Yu Gi Oh, Time Bokan 24, ... are all Shonen series and all long running.

Also you have the likes of Sazae-san, Space Brothers and Shin-chan are Seinen. And Chibi Maruko chan and Precure that are Shoujo. And more. And those are all long running anime.

Please stop making stupid generalizations and later try to evade by trying to make what you said to be something way more specific.
Saying Long Running anime are dead, is in no way the same to say that a highly specific subset of that is dead. Just accept it you're wrong! Long Running anime is anime that runs for a long time, Long Running adapted from shonen manga, is a anime that runs for long and also is an adaptation of a series that its manga form is directed at young people. They are highly different things. And Long Running adapted shonen manga anime is also not dead.

You'd better believe there will be more BnhA, one of the founders of Bones stated that that's what they would like to do with the series in a recent interview from ANN. And, WSJump is in a new age, where all of the veterans are ending and BnhA is the hottest and most popular new thing they have. The majority of their current lineup started being published from 2014 and onwards and most of the stuff they have isn't even selling 50k per volume.

"What they would like to do", you yourself say in your own post. They would like to do many things. Loosing money is certainly not one of those things! Specially Bones that last two years ended in the negative.

And what about My Here Academis being the hottest and most popular new things in Weekly Shonen Jump has to do with Bones spending tons of money in making something that doesn't make them money?

Sure, you can technically adapt anything with as little chapters as possible, but with a ton of filler crap. I wanted to say that it would've been impossible to properly adapt BnHa without having loads of filler episodes.
I mean, World Trigger ended up having a nice amount of trashy filler, that's the cost the series had to pay to have a longish adaptation from early on. I also think it's pointless to mention Dragon Ball, since it's Dragon Ball after all. Also, this new anime is trash, like most new long running anime (which are mostly done by Toei and they all suck), surprise, I've heard things have improved, but that's still pretty pathetic for a franchise as big as DB, again, that's a negative thing about long running series.

Ah, so you're agreeing that you were totally wrong when you said it would be an impossible thing to do, right?
Before spouting absolutes is better to know a little what you're talking!

Why are you evading your error by discussing superfluous stuff? Do I care if the series has filler and what you think about them? Not one bit. The only think that matters is that you said that it would be impossible for My Hero Academia to be long running, and having 60 episodes.

Was it the decision of studio Pierrot though? Do you have any proof? I would say it was the production committee. Plus this replaced World Trigger, I think, not sure, so I suppose this TV slot is meant for longer anime series.

What replaced World Trigger? What is this? If you're talking of Black Clover there is no anime yet, we don't even know if there will be an anime. So no this is not the substitution of World Trigger.

Doesn't matter if is Studio Pierrot or the Production Committee decision. The point is it was the decision of someone and that decision doesn't have to do with the series being long running.
Naruto had a 85 episode continuous filler run, that made the distance between the manga and the anime the exact same has when the anime first started, 150 chapters(around 3 years of run). A distance of such size was obviously never needed. A similar thing happened in the end of the anime adaptation of the manga. They added fillers even when the manga had already ended or was close to it, when it was obviously not needed.
Dragon Ball was 2 to 5 times more popular and profitable than Naruto and still after its manga ended the anime ended half a year later without adding any more filler.

I don't know man, I doubt it would've gotten 148 episodes if it weren't very popular. How many long running shounen adaptations of this size have we had in the last 5 years? Not so many, eh?

The popularity of a series isn't simply seen by the number of episodes. Saint Seiya had 100 episodes and was a Extremely huge hit.

What don't you understand by it being a hit? It was popular, though it wasn't a huge hit. To the point it had its timeslot changed to night timeslot. The DVD sold horrible, the TV rankings were good, but nothing of another world, the manga boost was good but nothing more, and the movies did just alright.

The first adaptation the way, but way better.

Here I meant, there won't be the same old big 3 series formula any longer. Due to certain circumstances, Naruto, Bleach and One piece happened to become how big they did. That's never happening again. We will have, One piece and whatever takes off in a particular year. And even One Piece has been becoming less and less popular in comparison to some of it's previous years.

Again seeing the future.

Do you know anything about the lifecyle of series? Because saying that One Piece has becoming less and less popular in comparison with its previous years, that was a boost of sales that created a peak, is ignorance.

Oh, but they have changed a lot, no more new long running adaptations of shounen manga in sight is just one of the small changes that have happened overall and no more long running stuff in general which isn't aimed at kids. I think it's a great change.

"No more long running stuff in general" -> funny, because majority of Shueisha anime adaptations running right now are Long running anime. Oh, And what is this new Tiger Mask W? Oh, And Twin Star Exorcists? And Digimon Universe? ...
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:23 am Reply with quote
>Kid anime is not a niche! In fact that is more mainstream than your late night shows!

If you would've looked clearly, I said new adaptations of shounen stuff, and herp derp I wouldn't consider a 50 episode anime long running. Most of those have been running for ages lol, not exactly new, which further proves the death of new long running shounen adaptations. And then you give me even more old stuff as an example and more kids shows + space brothers which have been running since the dawn of time, those are not exactly new. New long running stuff is dying and you'll have to live with it. It's time to let go of them, man.

>"What they would like to do", you yourself say in your own post. They would like to do many things. Loosing money is certainly not one of those things! Specially Bones that last two years ended in the negative.
And what about My Here Academis being the hottest and most popular new things in Weekly Shonen Jump has to do with Bones spending tons of money in making something that doesn't make them money?[/b]
You do realize that companies ftom the production committees fund the shows and not Bones themselves? And who said it doesn't make them money? Can you possibly be an insider? Dvd sales are not the only thing that matter any longer nowadays, btw.

[b]
Ah, so you're agreeing that you were totally wrong when you said it would be an impossible thing to do, right?
Before spouting absolutes is better to know a little what you're talking!

Why are you evading your error by discussing superfluous stuff? Do I care if the series has filler and what you think about them? Not one bit. The only think that matters is that you said that it would be impossible for My Hero Academia to be long running, and having 60 episodes.

Yeah, sorry for not being more specific, I was trying to meant in more depth.

What replaced World Trigger? What is this? If you're talking of Black Clover there is no anime yet, we don't even know if there will be an anime. So no this is not the substitution of World Trigger.

I was reffering to Twin star exorcists and I got things mixed up, sorry. Also, still does not sound like Pierrot's decision, more like the production committe. Also, lookt at how bad things are for the Naruto anime now, please don't justify the use of fillers. Half of the series is filler, that is really bad.

>.......I don't know man, I doubt it would've gotten 148 episodes if it weren't very popular. How many long running shounen adaptations of this size have we had in the last 5 years? Not so many, eh?

Seiya is a huge franchise in japan and that was made by Toei, only they make new long running stuff nowadays. Hxh changedbto a nightime slot because it was going to get too violent for a daytime slot. And almost all long running anime have terrible dvd sales, your point?

>
Again seeing the future.

Do you know anything about the lifecyle of series? Because saying that One Piece has becoming less and less popular in comparison with its previous years, that was a boost of sales that created a peak, is ignorance.
But that is the truth, it is becoming leas and less popular.

"No more long running stuff in general" -> funny, because majority of Shueisha anime adaptations running right now are Long running anime. Oh, And what is this new Tiger Mask W? Oh, And Twin Star Exorcists? And Digimon Universe? ...

Most? Not really. Tiger mask is only 50 episodes, not exactly long running and it's a revival, digimon is more of a kids show by the way and that is also something which is not a new series.

Sorry for the sloppy quoting, I wrote on mobile.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
HIGANO wrote:
People still think that companies like(pierrot.toei...) are reason for those long running animes....

They will do a better job than any other studio with "Pretty animation". Clearly we don't need another SAO(pretty animation, but not innovatiing and potentially good but awfully executed plot)
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
HIGANO wrote:

They are certainly the only one capable of handling long running anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3