• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, January 2-8

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorstarsun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm just kind of wondering if any of the people here saying "It's too bad ____ is doing so poorly" actually bought a BD/DVD themselves.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
sailorstarsun wrote:
I'm just kind of wondering if any of the people here saying "It's too bad ____ is doing so poorly" actually bought a BD/DVD themselves.

Well no, because I don't have cash pouring out of my ass to import every overpriced Japanese blu-ray of every single show I thought was decent. Now if they release Flip Flappers in the US, which is pretty likely, I'd probably buy it. Just like people can be happy that one show sold well without having actually bought said release, people have the right to be bummed out regarding the inverse situation. Besides, I doubt import sales would have helped either Keijo of FlipFlap out that much regardless, considering they're not all that much more popular in the western otaku sphere either.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
sailorstarsun wrote:

I'll buy Flip Flappers off of Rightstuf the day Sentai puts it up for pre-order, but until then it's up to Japanese fans to carry the weight.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:09 am Reply with quote
Damn, that's a lot of copies for Yuri on Ice! I am pleased, can't wait to buy my US release.

I gotta wonder though, since most anime don't sell that well, how do they know how many copies to print in advance? Can people pre-order things (like we can here online) to help give them some sort of idea how many to make? Or is it based on viewer numbers? Internet hype? So do some people mess up massively and there's way too many copies while others underestimate demand and get blindsided while scurrying to make more?
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:07 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Damn, that's a lot of copies for Yuri on Ice! I am pleased, can't wait to buy my US release.

I gotta wonder though, since most anime don't sell that well, how do they know how many copies to print in advance? Can people pre-order things (like we can here online) to help give them some sort of idea how many to make? Or is it based on viewer numbers? Internet hype? So do some people mess up massively and there's way too many copies while others underestimate demand and get blindsided while scurrying to make more?

Retailers have a set cut-off date (usually about a month in advance) to order the amount of stock they think they'll need to cover pre-orders and some to have on hand. That goes to the distributor who prints the amounts from all their retailers and some extra to replenish stock. Usually they won't do an extra run, but if demand is high enough, they will. This also lets the retailer know how many of their bonus items to make if they're making them for an item.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3