• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Haruhi Suzumiya Website

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Nebs wrote:
The article says it's being advertised on ANN as well, but exactly WHERE is this advertising on the site at? I couldn't see any anywhere. Confused

The ads aren't up yet; I believe they're supposed to be up tonight.

Quote:
Webmaster Chris Beverage has pointed out on their forum that he does know more than he's letting on, & I trust he knows what he's talking about. He wouldn't put something like that on the front page if it wasn't trustworthy.

Many of us in the press know more about this than we're letting on.

oh comone on. you can tell us. give us a hint? one wink for ADV. 2 winks for Geneon. a thumbs up for Funimation. scratch your head for Media Blasters, etc.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Mr T And The Van wrote:
I didn't see any ads. I guess it's because I'm using Firefox.

Well, I've met crazier fans >_>

I'm not seeing the ads here at ANN either and I'm not sure why. I did check it out in IE, as well as Firefox, so I'm not sure what the article is talking about.

However, I'm pretty sure that this isn't a prank. It seems to me to be more likely a advertising stunt Smile.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
oh comone on. you can tell us. give us a hint? one wink for ADV. 2 winks for Geneon. a thumbs up for Funimation. scratch your head for Media Blasters, etc.

An educated guess (I've never been told any insider news, for I'm not core ANN staff nor have any contact within US anime industry, so this is purely a speculation) told me the answer is none of the four above. I've made mistakes before, such as R3 license for Bleach.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I tried to do a little sleuthing but no go, they registered the site completely anonymously and I couldn't find any licensors that seemed to match any of the servers or locations or any other trails I could find that might just link to the info. Yeah, I know, I was bored anyways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:35 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Calculusman wrote:

An educated guess (I've never been told any insider news, for I'm not core ANN staff nor have any contact within US anime industry, so this is purely a speculation) told me the answer is none of the four above. I've made mistakes before, such as R3 license for Bleach.

whose left? Viz? Right Stuf? Bandai? CPM?

Last edited by Calculusman on Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Calculusman wrote:
whose left? Viz? Right Stuf? Bandai?

Read my post on page 2.

Meccanica wrote:
I wasn't sure- was 'episode 00' only released on it's own disc? Man, that means the last one probably had only one ep on it. Those poor exploited Japanese people.

Yes, Episode00 has its own volume. So? I don't know why American fans are so unable to accept low episode count per volume. You wouldn't be able to collect these if SHnY is released in only four discs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Anime News Serviceactually posted about the possiblity of a big Haruhi announcement two weeks ago:

Quote:
12-6-06 (3:47PM EST)---- Haruhi Suzumiya Surprise Announcement Brewing

News out of the Japanese Language SOS email magazine indicates an unspecified
announcement regarding the franchise will be made at year's end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Calculusman wrote:
whose left? Viz? Right Stuf? Bandai?

Read my post on page 2.

I didn't even know they had a US branch which licensed anime lol
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Meccanica wrote:
dormcat wrote:
Meccanica wrote:
I hope they only go for 3 or 4 dvd's, though. Japan got seven, which is just plain too many, considering that's 2 episodes a pop.

Eight DVDs in fact; you forgot to count Episode00.

I wasn't sure- was 'episode 00' only released on it's own disc? Man, that means the last one probably had only one ep on it. Those poor exploited Japanese people.

Episode 00 was released on it's own disc but from what I remember, it was loaded with extras.

dormcat wrote:

The hint in the source code in Japanese, the copyright being in Japanese, the use of 1&1, etc all point to Kadokawa USA being the one who owns that website. However the 404 page is entirely in english. The question is who else is involved.

Kadokawa has way too much fun with haruhi. Although I suppose that is the point as I got nailed on saying that earlier.

Edits:
Calculusman wrote:

I didn't even know they had a US branch which licensed anime lol
They did FMP:TSR with ADV and FUNi.

Sam Murai wrote:
Anime News Serviceactually posted about the possiblity of a big Haruhi announcement two weeks ago:

Quote:
12-6-06 (3:47PM EST)---- Haruhi Suzumiya Surprise Announcement Brewing

News out of the Japanese Language SOS email magazine indicates an unspecified
announcement regarding the franchise will be made at year's end.

This is something different and which is probably inaccessable at this time since the haruhi page vanished today (purposely). There is a page on the haruhi site which isn't going live until 12/29.
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote
darn! they aren't allowing anonymous ftp login either lol. i was gonna browser their web server to see if they had anything hidden if they did.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:
It's entirely their fault for putting up with it for so long.

I agree if you want something to change then make it happen.

I honestly can't believe that there already 60 post already for this, and it's only 2 hours old.....is nobody watching Monday Night Football?
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

I honestly can't believe that there already 60 post already for this, and it's only 2 hours old.....is nobody watching Monday Night Football?

are you kidding? the website will be awash with exploded haruhi fan's heads by the time friday rolls around.
Kiba17

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

I am, Colts are kicking some ass right now.......

and I never thought that a Haruhi thread would get this big this fast, but I just got here.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:06 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Meccanica wrote:

Yes, Episode00 has its own volume. So? I don't know why American fans are so unable to accept low episode count per volume. You wouldn't be able to collect these if SHnY is released in only four discs.

Dormcat, I think the point should be raised that the unacceptablity of lower episode counts is not just a fan issue. The big chain stores, like Wal Mart and Best Buy, do not look kindly on low disk/many disk releases. These stores have just so much room for DVD releases and are not interested in the Japanese style of releaseing two episode per disk anymore than thoes buying Anime releases are. IMO I believe that these market presures had more to do with ADV abandoning the low disk count experiment they did with Gantz than the negitive fan reaction to it (though the fact they got both reactions may have re-enforced the entire dislike for the situation).

The market for DVDs in this country is pretty much controled by those who buy a lot of DVDs wholesale and I don't think there opinions of how things should work should be left out of discussions like this (keep in mind that one thing that Funimation seems to be doing quite well is getting their disks into Wal-Mart. Not only did my local Wal Mart get FMP:SR Vol 1 but they actually got a shipment of more disks to restock the shelf when they sold out of the original disks they received).
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:

It's on ESPN and I don't get that where I'm at right now, either way with the way the Colts have been I'm sure it'll be another win for them so there's almost no point.

It doesn't surprise me that this thread is so hopping, considering the stunt that's being pulled and the speculation that will follow and then taking in to account the fact that Haruhi is such a popular title, although I didn't find it as good as the hype made it seem myself. Take those things in to account though and I'm surprised it's not busier honestly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 27