• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dies irae (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Here is a direct quote of what Leonhart said to Fujii:

"Several of us are dead or gone, so some have been replaced and some seats are unfilled. I took the place of the fifth about a decade ago."

Now, this could be a problem in the translation, but I have to depend on the translation since I don't speak Japanese. When she says "some" have been replaced, that indicates more than one member has been replaced. Also, she only said she "took the place" of a member, but that doesn't tell me if that member is dead or simply missing unless there was a reference to the fact that a member has to be dead in order to be replaced and not merely missing.

今、何人が死んだりいなくなったりしてるから代替わりあったし空席もある。私は、五番の人が死んじゃったから十年ちょっと前にその席を継いだのよ。

= (My translation, take it or leave it)

As of now, there are several who are either dead or missing hence members have been replaced or seats left empty. As for me, number 5 in the order died so I took over her seat just over a decade ago.

Note what Leonhart says a little later after the sentence above:

私たちの中でも上位の何人側、先の大戦から姿を消してる。クラフト閣下はその一人。

Amongst us a few of the higher-ups have disappeared since the end of the War. Lord Kraft is one of them. This sentence is accompanied by a scrolling image of the missing members led by Heydrich and Kraft.

As for the "Ren as proxy" implication, Kei explains it in a fairly short sentence which ends as she points her finger at Ren at the end.

例のクラフト閣下、私たちの中で二番目偉い人なんだけど、彼が言ったの。然るべき時、然るべき場所で、然るべき相手で用意する。それと戦い、勝利して夢を掴め。つまり、あなたを倒せてことよ。

=

The Lord Kraft I just mentioned, he's number two in our hierarchy and he said this. I will prepare the appropriate foe at the appropriate place at the appropriate time. All of you are to fight this foe, overcome it and realise your dreams. In other words, we (the Order) are to defeat you (Ren).

Believe or disbelieve my translation as you please. I've transcribed the original text so feed that through a machine translator or get someone who speaks the language fluently to read it and interpret it. That's all of the information revealed in this episode relevant to your query regarding the status of the members in the circle.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for taking the time to provide that translation, Harleyquin.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote

Double trouble for this week. Thanks to his exertions from last week Marie is now an active cast member. I'd completely forgotten since it's been a while since I read this part, but the episode title was a dead giveaway on what should have aired this week. It's been a while since Yusa Shirou was in the picture and now he's back with his partner in crime. Unfortunately the little hints they dropped during their conversation with Ren and Marie probably won't get much more elaboration over and above what was revealed this week simply because everything is being compressed to fit the schedule.

If the extra 6 episodes planned for web telecast are what I think they will be, then Yusa Shirou's first meeting with the Order should be one of the arcs being animated. spoiler[ As the first side story for the all-ages version which Steam has on retail, it would be remiss not to add this part since it answers a lot of questions. It's also short enough to fit into one episode. ]

Casual viewers might want to take note of Ren's opinion of Shirou towards the end of the episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:51 pm Reply with quote
With each passing episode I get more and more into this. I like Marie and found Kasumi's reaction to her both amusing and touching (i.e. her desire to help "the foreigner"). I hope we find out more about what the deal is with Shirou and Ren. This show has definitely broken out of the group I had lumped it with (King's Game and Evil or Live) as "crappy shows that I was nonetheless watching" into something I actively look forward to.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote

A lot of the show's crowdfunding budget was put into this episode, but there's only so much they can do since there are other episodes to animate. This one doesn't have a bad approach to the source material and the most memorable scene is retained.

For the uninitiated, Shirou's monologue at the start is hugely important in explaining why he can survive Bey's attacks for a sustained period. If it wasn't obvious enough, it's made clear that he and Reinhard Heydrich have an interesting point in common for what is otherwise a pair with no relation to each other.

I'm not sure about the animator's decision to portray Heydrich's army of souls in the way it was in this episode. It might be my faulty memory, but spoiler[ I can't remember his great battalion being depicted in this manner. Nor was I too fond of seeing Ren in his berserk form when that only puts in an appearance at a very specific point in a route.] I wonder what the 5800+ backers of the project think about this decision since everything to date has stuck closely to what they read and subscribed for. Of course, there's the issue with spoiler[ this chapter being so short and it's not really fun to skip to the part where Heydrich shatters the blade. ]

With that final scene, it's also increasingly clear which route is being animated out of the four available. What happens next week should decide the issue (although I made an early bet after seeing the scene in episode #0). The roller coaster has more or less finished its climb, so it's almost time for it to do the plunge.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
I found myself thinking back to what I thought at the start of the show. It was like some people watched Hellsing and wanted to make their own Nazi super soldier thing. The big villain also having spoiler[undead army like Alucard.] The hero's blade arm itself reminding me of spoiler[Seras'.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:44 am Reply with quote
Well, I certainly hope Marie isn't kaput because I like her. Doesn't really make sense that she would be because Ren wouldn't be able to accomplish much without a Relic. If she is toast, he's going to need a replacement and fast.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote
Is it just me or does Ren seem to improve a lot since he began to fight more? He was even able to fight against Kei Sakurai on a even scale and hold out on his own.

Reinhard's powers has me wondering if it has weaknessess or limits. Whatever the case, he means big trouble.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote

This episode more or less confirms which one of the four routes was chosen for adaptation. What I didn't expect was the animators to throw in aspects from two of the other routes into this episode which are a boon to casual viewers who wouldn't otherwise realise the significance.

No action, but all of the information revealed this week should prove helpful in fleshing out the story and answering a few questions from before.

It's also clear the crew in charge of subtitles didn't play the game (English translated version is available on Steam) before taking on the job. Some of the technical terms aren't translated like I thought they would be. I'll just have to concentrate on what I hear rather than what I read for the rest of the series.

Hearing the Amantes Amentes theme in this episode really made my day. Regardless of the quality of the animation, they certainly know how to pair the game soundtrack with each and every scene to maximum effect.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
Well, that's one way to deal with the limitations imposed by a low production budget: have an episode of basically three scenes, all of them talking. Anyway, we found out that Ren is a clone, so that's something.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote

Following the events of the route up to the day the chapter ends. There are a couple of changes here and there, but it's more or less how I remember it. Not fond of the fanservice introduced this week, but it's not something I expect will continue to the end of the series. If anything, I'm reminded that the game was originally 18+ prior to its all-ages edition.

I'm looking forward to seeing Tubal Cain in action. He's the only member who's had close to zero screentime and it's almost time for him to wake up. Rubedo's artillery should be one to watch as well.

I'm surprised they chose to do Rusalka's chant for this episode. Not quite sure why they kept the original German poem as the subtitles which she recites in Japanese, but all of the characters have very specific reasons for their choice of words to unlock the higher tier of their abilities.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Saying the girl is safe? But wasn't she zapped into unconsciousness? I can't imagine that would leave you in a really good shape, that least leaves a burn. How did they even get her there, did they carry her unconscious body on a motorcycle at 9 in the morning?

Did he spend the entire day sleeping the grounds of the school? Because what was the point of him deciding to go out and protect the spots, especially when everyone at the school left. And yet those at the club did nothing to stop one of them killing everyone there, despite presumably knowing what she looked like and stuff. I guess simply because they thought it would be cooler to come in after she killed everyone.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:37 am Reply with quote
The alternative to being left unconscious in a closet is being killed by Rusalka or getting swallowed up by her activated power. I don't think stun guns leave a visible mark if it's used on a piece of clothing and the voltage isn't tuned too high.

It's not 9 in the morning, more like 0730 to 0800 (look at the clock on the news report). It's not mentioned explicitly, but the place Ren and co. live at is a quiet neighbourhood. It's also implied Honjou Eiri doesn't really need to use the motorcycle because of her family connections if she needs to.

He does indeed spend the day sleeping at the school. It doesn't really matter since the action only happens at night. Rusalka does have the whole student body under mind control though. As for Rusalka, both Yuusa Shirou and Honjou Eiri have the same deja vu feeling that Reinhard has, it wouldn't have mattered either way since it's not possible to take on any of the Order's members without the same conceptual weapons they're armed with. You can't evacuate the club (on what excuse?!) nor can you bar her entry when she came in disguised (which neither Shirou nor Eiri knew about).
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote

Although the route selected is more or less fixed, the animators are doing their level best to mix it up by introducing elements from the other routes important to the structure of the story into this episode. Due to time and budget constraints, I'm not sure they could have done any better regarding Liza Brenner's motivations. Needless to say Sakurai Kei only gets the brief battle scene to express herself before Rubedo intervenes.

Animation-wise they're keeping their powder dry for the remaining episodes. The big fight against Heydrich was far more impressive, but there has to be enough budget to do the last two episodes properly.

It was always hinted at in an ambiguous manner in the source material, but it's only in this episode spoiler[where those who have played the game get 100% confirmation who Isaak's parents were. Liza was always the mother but she never acknowledged the other side while Isaak always spoke of Heydrich as his father without one word of acknowledgement from his supposed sire. ] Then again, with a birth like that one I don't blame Liza Brenner for making her decision which Valeria Trifa has wised up to.

One plus point for me after seeing this episode is the unpredictability that is now in play for the rest of the series. As things stand, it seems this adaptation is going to be an amalgam of what should have been one unique route. I don't have a problem with that since the writer in charge of the game story handled the series scripts personally so he's best placed to write something different for this adaptation. Whether it satisfies the backers who put their money into it remains to be seen though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:27 am Reply with quote
Well, once again my lack of familiarity with the source material left me in a haze of non-comprehension. I have to question the point of trying to adapt material for which there is not sufficient scope to make it intelligible to a viewer who hasn't experienced the source material. You are not satisfying new viewers nor, I imagine, are you doing much for source material people who have already experienced the narrative in a more satisfying form.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4