• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Devilman Crybaby's Day Out

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jroa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
I have no idea what Yuasa was thinking when he wrote the characters of Koda and Miko. Their narrative purposes are confusing at best, and a pretty bad time-waster at worst. It's quite unfortunate that Yuasa's revisions to the source material are very hit and miss.

I'd say the discussion in this podcast, even though neither of us has to fully agree with its contents, made one possible case for why both characters do have a purpose in the context of this story. What do you think about that?

Quote:

Also, why in God's name did she honk like a donkey when she masturbated? What the hell does that even mean?

You'd have to ask Yuasa himself to get the real answer, but I got the distinct impression it was half done in jest to illustrate the scene wasn't really meant to be titillating and half to either suggest or hint at something definitely surreal and potentially demonic about her behavior.

Quote:
But Koda and Miko aside, I'm simply flabbergasted at Yuasa's interpretation of Ryo. I simply cannot understand how a big fan of the manga can turn his character into a hollow caricature of his manga self. He is just a bland antagonist with an ambiguous motive. I'm sure the newcomers will most likely love this adaptation but I can't help but think most fans of the manga will be left scratching their heads in disillusionment.

I've gone into a lot more detail about my interpretation of this aspect in the other Devilman discussions available on this website, but to reiterate a couple of points:

1. Yuasa didn't want Ryo to be a more or less normal person (albeit still with moments of weirdness or craziness) who suddenly wakes up one day and then figures out they are Satan after researching their past. He wanted to add a more emotionally disturbing layer on top of that framework and connect it to Satan's lack of concern for humanity. This isn't Yuasa making Ryo a caricature, even if it changes the character from the manga version, but actually using him for a specific set of purposes.

2. I don't dislike the way Go Nagai wrote the original Ryo, who does come across as comparatively more logical and almost sympathetic on a purely rational scale once you get to the explanations provided at the end of the manga, but for me Crybaby's version of Ryo is more thematically and emotionally interesting. In retrospect, you can tell he was being influenced by his Satan identity since the very beginning of his life and that's where his arguably sociopathic tendencies came from. In that sense, it's more foreshadowed and less of a plot twist than what happens in the manga.

uguu wrote:

I'm sure Yuasa had input on the story too but the scriptwriter was the Code Geass dude

I'll reiterate that Yuasa has been quite open about what he wanted to do with Ryo, which was the other poster's main complaint. With that goal in mind, I don't think Yuasa would have gone with a more "manga accurate" portrayal even if you changed the scriptwriter (who, by the way, has written both more *and* less sympathetic antagonist characters than Ryo over the years).
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:53 pm Reply with quote
uguu wrote:
I'm sure Yuasa had input on the story too but the scriptwriter was the Code Geass dude
Oh... wow! Well, thank you, that explains everything!

Phew, what a relief. Yuasa is still pure, he did nothing wrong. It was all that hack's fault.
jroa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:

Phew, what a relief. Yuasa is still pure, he did nothing wrong. It was all that hack's fault.

You're making me laugh, but let me give you some information so you may understand that Yuasa was very much involved in the changes and choices made:

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/01/08/devilman-crybaby-interview-with-director-masaaki-yuasa/

Quote:

When the show was announced, I remember you said, “I want to make it Ryo Asuka’s story.” If you had to say though, the protagonist is still Akira, isn’t it?

The protagonist, Akira, is steadfast in his resolve from beginning to end. On the other hand, you could say Ryo develops throughout the story, or faces internal changes and struggles at least.

On closer reading, the work begins and ends with Ryo. Akira is there to teach him something. That’s how I approached the work for this adaptation.

(...)

Besides Akira and Ryo’s story, the character I felt I had to get right was Miki. Why is Akira so attached to Miki, and where does her hope come from? And building on that, why does Ryo come to love Akira? What is it that Ryo takes away from meeting Akira and Miki? I set out to show just how the emotions of these three intertwine.

What Ryo takes away from it… You’ve said before, “In the end, it’s about love.” Is that what you meant?

That’s right. It’s about what Ryo learns in the end. I set out to make the show with that in mind.

Ryo meets Akira at a young age, and Akira is the only one who supports him. Deep in Ryo’s heart, he feels that Akira is the one thing in the world worth keeping, but he doesn’t realize it. We as humans can value others by more than if they’re “strong” or “weak”, as would be logical. There’s something more important than the rules of natural order. I want the viewer to see just how Ryo comes to this realization.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
What do you think about that?
Admittedly, it is true that they serve a larger purpose of being other "devilmen" characters in order to explore other possibilities of how Akira or others like him could have ended up. But I would argue that they were very poorly and confusingly written to the point that the narrative would improve if you removed them. Both of them start out as interesting, but Koda fades into the background and irrelevancy while Miko's arc feels confusing and unnecessary.

jroa wrote:
You'd have to ask Yuasa himself to get the real answer, but I got the distinct impression it was half done in jest to illustrate the scene wasn't really meant to be titillating and half to either suggest or hint at something definitely surreal and potentially demonic about her behavior.
I dunno, part of me thinks it was done as pure shock value. It's just too bizarre and out there for me to take it seriously.

jroa wrote:
1. Yuasa didn't want Ryo to be a more or less normal person (albeit still with moments of weirdness or craziness) who suddenly wakes up one day and then figures out they are Satan after researching their past. He wanted to add a more emotionally disturbing layer on top of that framework and connect it to Satan's lack of concern for humanity. This isn't Yuasa making Ryo a caricature, even if it changes the character from the manga version, but actually using him for a specific set of purposes.

2. I don't dislike the way Go Nagai wrote the original Ryo, who does come across as comparatively more logical and almost sympathetic on a purely rational scale once you get to the explanations provided at the end of the manga, but for me Crybaby's version of Ryo is more thematically and emotionally interesting. In retrospect, you can tell he was being influenced by his Satan identity since the very beginning of his life and that's where his arguably sociopathic tendencies came from. In that sense, it's more foreshadowed and less of a plot twist than what happens in the manga.
Okay, so I must concede that Yuasa was more involved in the writing than I thought. But I completely disagree with Ryo being more interesting in any way. Stripping away all of Ryo's humanity and making him a cold and ruthless obvious villain from the start is PRECISELY why I think he's a very bland character.

But that's not even the most egregious fault in his portrayal, it's that in Crybaby he doesn't even have that powerful and cathartic moment when he recognizes he's been a huge hypocrite. That's the culmination of his character arc! He admits he's wrong for wanting to eliminate humanity, when his whole rebellion started as a way to protest God's decision to kill all demons. He saw God's pronouncement to be incredibly unfair and what's more he saw actual beauty in the demons. He actually even came to love them. So, he was doing to humanity what God did to demonkind and he realizes it was a mistake.

I simply cannot wrap my head around as to why Yuasa would omit such a key part of his characterization. It's ludicrous, it makes no sense at all. It completely deflates his brilliant character into a hollow, one-dimensional cardboard cutout.
jroa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Admittedly, it is true that they serve a larger purpose of being other "devilmen" characters in order to explore other possibilities of how Akira or others like him could have ended up. But I would argue that they were very poorly and confusingly written to the point that the narrative would improve if you removed them. Both of them start out as interesting, but Koda fades into the background and irrelevancy while Miko's arc feels confusing and unnecessary.

Other people on the forums have already discussed Miko before and how they see her, but I'd argue Koda at least serves to show us that just because he is a devilman with a human heart that doesn't mean the man will make the right choice about which side to work for. That ability to embrace his demon side, so to speak, was also an option. I imagine we would have seen both of them get more scenes, mind you, if the show had 12 or 13 episodes.

Quote:
I dunno, part of me thinks it was done as pure shock value. It's just too bizarre and out there for me to take it seriously.

I didn't take it too seriously. I simply imagine the director does know the intended purpose.

Quote:
Okay, so I must concede that Yuasa was more involved in the writing than I thought. But I completely disagree with Ryo being more interesting in any way. Stripping away all of Ryo's humanity and making him a cold and ruthless obvious villain from the start is PRECISELY why I think he's a very bland character.

Conversely, I think we got enough scenes showing that this version of Ryo was emotionally unstable yet still had the potential to be more human, as seen during his initial expressions of friendship towards Akira and the less straightforward readings of the flashback with the wounded pet.

I do admit the staff of Devilman Crybaby reduced his starting level of humanity and that makes Ryo come across as less sympathetic when he's being more cruel, but for me that works because (unlike Go Nagai himself, I'd be willing to bet) the anime staff knew he was going to be revealed as Satan. Therefore, they intentionally decided to give that a more emotional/thematic purpose as well as using it as proof of his mind being subconsciously influenced to serve the revival of the demons and work against humanity.

Quote:
But that's not even the most egregious fault in his portrayal, it's that in Crybaby he doesn't even have that powerful and cathartic moment when he recognizes he's been a huge hypocrite. That's the culmination of his character arc! He admits he's wrong for wanting to eliminate humanity, when his whole rebellion started as a way to protest God's decision to kill all demons. So he was doing to humanity what God did to demonkind and he realizes it was a mistake. I simply cannot wrap my head around as to why Yuasa would omit such a key part of his characterization. It's ludicrous, it makes no sense at all.

If you want to be critical...taking the translated interview into consideration, even Yuasa himself says that he probably didn't truly understand the ending of the manga when he first read it as a young man, way back in the day.

If you want to be more analytical, Yuasa wanted to change Ryo's character arc in order to suit his own interests and preferences as a director. It's there because Yuasa didn't just want to copy and paste the original work, but use it as an expression of his own creativity.

Thus the fact Ryo does not come to the same realization is true, that much is clear, yet in my opinion it is compatible with the version of Ryo that was used in Crybaby and still takes him to a point of ironic regret. Just a less rational one (Akira/Ryo being two sides of the same coin and God being the real enemy) and more based on emotion (Ryo doesn't realize the meaning of his own feelings for Akira, nor why Akira was such a crybaby and acting in favor humanity by extension, until it was too late).
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Why thank you, Zac. I do feel anime has finally been saved for me, and it's about damn time.

As a fan of the original manga, I have to say I really enjoyed this version of the series. While I do have a few issues with it (Jinmen, changes to Ryo and Miki), I absolutely enjoyed it I love adaptations when they do more of their own thing, because, honestly, why would I watch something when I can read it several times faster?

Anyway, I'm someone who read Devilman as an adolescent some 10 or so years ago, and it really affected my worldview. And tastes. (I have to say that I found Taro to be particularly relatable in that way.) Anyhow, it's a fantastic work that absolutely deserves to be widely read, and I eagerly anticipate the official English release.

In regards to Violence Jack, I feel like that has a bit more going on under the hood than the OVAs have led folks to believe. It desperately needs more bits released in English. Hopefully, Devilman leads to that.

I found Jacob's more religion-focused view of the series interesting, though I didn't quite agree with it. I grew up in a much...different environment from him. I didn't feel like it had this blanket condemnation of certain aspects religion in this show as much as it was used as an asthetic device. Jacob took the scenes of folks in churches while society is collapsing to mean that folks were out trying to shovel their version of the gospel down others' throats; I took a different thing from that.

I also feel like Jacob's focus on the sexual awakening aspects in the series also fall into the same area for me While I was urged to not go out and screw folks wantonly, my mother had a different view on other matters. Let's just say I grew up in a good Christian household and was taught good Christian masturabtion. As such, while I picked up on the sexual awakening bits in the show, I didn't run as far with it as Jacob. It was an aspect, but not the heart of the show for me I may be an outlier on this, as Crybaby is much more sexually explicit that the original manga.

To me, Devilman has always been an antiwar and anti-discrimination story first and foremost, and this adaptation carries that onwards with a few updates for modern times. As such, there's now Actual Gays (tm) featured in the series that aren't Ryo in the side manga. Even with all the new bits, though, I don't feel that "humanity seeing itself as divine and sinless bur stained by the world" is something at play here; rather, it's society's standards vs. people that fall outside of them.

Anyway, my take on the show is just as much colored by my own life experiences as Jacob's, but I felt it was important to say that the religious & sexual aspects weren't as big as he thought, since it seems that most people are leaning in his direction. This is one of those works where you can tell a lot about someone by what they get from it I just wish this thread had been more focused on that than what kind of Actual Gay (tm) Miko is. I'm bi, too, but I think there's bigger fish to fry here.
lebrel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:

But that's not even the most egregious fault in his portrayal, it's that in Crybaby he doesn't even have that powerful and cathartic moment when he recognizes he's been a huge hypocrite. That's the culmination of his character arc! He admits he's wrong for wanting to eliminate humanity, when his whole rebellion started as a way to protest God's decision to kill all demons. He saw God's pronouncement to be incredibly unfair and what's more he saw actual beauty in the demons. He actually even came to love them. So, he was doing to humanity what God did to demonkind and he realizes it was a mistake.

I simply cannot wrap my head around as to why Yuasa would omit such a key part of his characterization. It's ludicrous, it makes no sense at all. It completely deflates his brilliant character into a hollow, one-dimensional cardboard cutout.

First, let's recognize that for the first three volumes of the original manga, Ryo is a walking deus ex machina with no personality whatsoever and minimal motivation or backstory. The entire premise of the story gets completely revamped for volume 4, which is when Nagai came up with a through-plot and overarching themes, and Ryo's "OMG I'm actually Satan" moment is such a blatant retcon that I actually laughed reading it for the first time.

For crybaby, Yuasa knew where the character was going, and set up a much slower (and IMO much more effective) slide into his demonic side, and gives him significantly more backstory. crybaby Ryo isn't a "cold and ruthless obvious villain", he's a trainwreck who grew up as an isolated, "despised" orphan and refuses to admit he has or needs any human connections or emotions. Yes, crybaby cuts down significantly on explaining his motivation regarding the other demons and the parallelism between God/demons and demons/humans, but Yuasa clearly wanted a big focus of the show to be relationships between individual characters, and how giving in to demon-possession affects that; look at the way he built big, anime-original emotional setpieces around Akira's parents and Miki's family. Yuasa's version of Ryo's character arc revolves around his relationship with Akira, not with the conflict as a whole.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:37 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
First, let's recognize that for the first three volumes of the original manga, Ryo is a walking deus ex machina with no personality whatsoever and minimal motivation or backstory. The entire premise of the story gets completely revamped for volume 4, which is when Nagai came up with a through-plot and overarching themes, and Ryo's "OMG I'm actually Satan" moment is such a blatant retcon that I actually laughed reading it for the first time.
I don't think you know what deus ex machina means. Tell me again how many times does manga Ryo magically and abruptly solve an otherwise impossible situation?

No, you're wrong again, there was foreshadowing that he wasn't human ever since Akira visited him in the hospital in volume 1 and he said he "somehow healed very fast."

lebrel wrote:
For crybaby, Yuasa knew where the character was going, and set up a much slower (and IMO much more effective) slide into his demonic side, and gives him significantly more backstory. crybaby Ryo isn't a "cold and ruthless obvious villain", he's a trainwreck who grew up as an isolated, "despised" orphan and refuses to admit he has or needs any human connections or emotions.
Well, there you go proving my point about him being a dull character. In Crybaby even at 5 years old he's incorrigibly evil. The evil, uncaring child who snatches away his playmate's toys and breaks them because he's eeevviiiilll. All subtlety is completely lost and instead we have this insane caricature who shoots victims in the head, blows up moms and also wants to kill the MC's love interest because he's cuuhraaaazy ruthlessly evil. It's a travesty.

jroa wrote:
Other people on the forums have already discussed Miko before and how they see her, but I'd argue Koda at least serves to show us that just because he is a devilman with a human heart that doesn't mean the man will make the right choice about which side to work for. That ability to embrace his demon side, so to speak, was also an option. I imagine we would have seen both of them get more scenes, mind you, if the show had 12 or 13 episodes.
Those characters simply have no payoff after all the build-up they have. Koda is introduced in a super memorable gay sex rapemurder scene... Then Akira decides to save him and nothing happens. He just joins the demons and Akira later kills him unceremoniously in one second. Like, really? That's it?

Miko on the other hand has a more complete arc, but every time something pivotal happens with her it later has no consequence whatsoever. For example, when she finally hits it off with Butterfly tattoo guy, after two episodes or so of courtship and a 5-minute long hip hop confession, literally in the next scene he dies and both she and the story forget about him. Then after she confesses her love to Miki, they both die 2 minutes later. It really feels like the audience's time was wasted.
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:47 am Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:
Also, why in God's name did she honk like a donkey when she masturbated? What the hell does that even mean?

Out of context, this is literally the funniest sentence I've ever read.

I'm the dumb one who didn't even realize it was a donkey sound. I thought it was an ungodly squeaky bed, which if I'd put the time to think deeply about it I probably would have come up with something like it being a hint that she's a loner who doesn't get out much and spends a lot of time jacking off (Oh, those high school memories...). That could tie back in to her envy of Miki, who is popular and has such an active life that she has to go out of her way to avoid spending time with people. Buuut I guess that's all out the window since it was donkey noises all along.

I'm definitely on the bisexual Miko train rather than lesbian. The first time we see her show any kind of sexuality, it's when she's thinking about Akra's ridiculous boner (Can't blame her, I'd have that thing framed on my wall) before it switches to that weird stuff with the photographer. I do think she started out hating Miki but gradually fell in love with her and had trouble sorting out those feelings, but none of that means she couldn't be attracted to men as well.
Niello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
The AMA featuring Masaaki Yuasa coming up on Reddit in a couple of days actually mean a bunch of questions regarding the themes in Devilman: Crybaby could be answer if people post their questions there.
jroa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Chrysostomus wrote:

Those characters simply have no payoff after all the build-up they have. Koda is introduced in a super memorable gay sex rapemurder scene... Then Akira decides to save him and nothing happens. He just joins the demons and Akira later kills him unceremoniously in one second. Like, really? That's it?

Generally speaking, although you might well be slightly underselling and oversimplifying the interactions they do have in the short scenes he's involved in. Which are what other people, myself included, are using to reach different and more nuanced conclusions.

Quote:

Miko on the other hand has a more complete arc, but every time something pivotal happens with her it later has no consequence whatsoever. For example, when she finally hits it off with Butterfly tattoo guy, after two episodes or so of courtship and a 5-minute long hip hop confession, literally in the next scene he dies and both she and the story forget about him. Then after she confesses her love to Miki, they both die 2 minutes later. It really feels like the audience's time was wasted.

Not necessarily, because there are still various ways of reading things and interpreting events. Especially when it comes to giving more value to small and less obvious scenes in the context of the narrative's pacing. For instance, consider that one of the rappers (the short silent one with the braids) notices Miko has Butterfly dude's glasses and things a couple of times. The story doesn't spell it out, because the man doesn't speak, but it is shown to us visually. Which in turn helps explain why that guy eventually turned against Miko in the end and, by extension, can tie into the other themes discussed previously.
intothemystic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:40 pm Reply with quote
In the end, regardless of how good the animation, character design, and character development and growth for Miki and the rappers were, the last two episode destroyed what up until then was a good update of a story that suffered from the time period that was 70’s Japanese Manga.
That they spent so much time making Miki and the rappers interesting and 3 dimensional characters was wasted, undercut by the poor treatment in episode 9 when they were tossed away like disposable characters for no reason other than “that’s how she died in the manga”. What makes it a disposable character trope is that there is no emotional resonance or impact on Akira. A character who he says in that episode was the reason for him retaining his humanity gets mutilated and he just continues on like he had before? Absurd. There was no cathartic moment for anyone over her death.
If the real crux of the story was Ryo and Akira’s relationship then that relationship needed the focus. Instead we get bland line readings creating a passionless and boring blonde psychopath instructing Akira to go do this at this time in scene after scene. There was no chemistry between these two that in any way set up what was supposed to be the pay off in episode 10.
Akira is lessened by his continuing friendship with Ryo who has spent his time being both uninteresting which is a real feat since he’s also an out front murderous psycho. Who the heck stays friends with the guy who gets stab happy in a club? Seriously? And that’s supposed to be the central relationship? The hero not recognizing the obvious villain that is his childhood friend? That? Okay.
And the real tragedy here is that for eight episodes it was on its way to being that masterpiece that some are claiming it to be. Instead, it is just a good build up to a flat finish. A finish that brings out all the nihilism and unpleasantness that infested the absolute worst of the 90’s OVA’s
What began as an interesting update devolved into MD Geist territory of pessimism, doom and gloom, if not Genocyber levels of just narrative abandonment so they could cram more horrifying imagery for no reason other than they could.
I was immensely disappointed in this story because where it had a chance to tell it’s story in an truly interesting a way; it face planted at the end and wound up being just another cheap violence exploitation series only this time wearing the cloak of pretension.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3